Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Sprint, we tried but your process makes it impossible.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    What an idiot. He could have run your application under the No Credit Check sub-type and put all 9's in under your social.
    My guess is the salesperson was either trying to upsell to make more money, or it was store policy not to activate an account like this. Sometimes stores get very little commission for activations like this, if Sprint pays them at all for it. I've seen some store owners say they would rather see a person walk out the door than to activate them on a plan that won't pay the store anything.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Royemunson View Post
    This thread was pointless as the process you're complaining about is an identity theft deterrent. I'm sorry your wife couldn't answer those questions but don't hold that against Sprint. I would rather them be too thorough and help prevent people from having their identities stolen then not have any process in place to prevent identity theft. Getting mad over something like this is absurd and honestly you should be ashamed of yourself for even bringing it up. Utterly pathetic...
    I'm not mad. Just disappointed. The first thing you have to understand is that our credit history goes back over 40 years. They were not asking questions about where she worked or when we got our last car loan. They were literally asking detailed questions about cars that we owned 20 years ago. They asked things like "Did you own a Plymouth in 1992". No, she didn't, however I drove a Champ in '92, which was probably titled in both our names. She probably never knew that this Mitsubishi-made car was branded as a Plymouth. On top of this, is the fact that some people have difficulty hearing and understanding question in noisy environments. This is really an ADA issue. The store should have had a quiet room where the customer could answer this sort of quiz in private, without the noise from the Bluetooth speaker tests and screaming children. You may have to be over 60 to understand what I'm talking about.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Sprint does have a friendly BYOD policy though - at least for a CDMA carrier. If you have a compatible device then you can bring it. I'm not aware of any exceptions anyway. Verizon, OTOH, won't let you bring anything except the newest/newer iPhones and Nexus phones.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/bring-your-own-phone/
    Yes, Sprint has some expections to this "friendly BYOD policy"...its in the fine print.

Eligible devices include: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s (Verizon only), iPhone 5c (Verizon only), Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors), Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black and white), Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black, white and red), Nexus 5X (all versions), Nexus 6P (all versions), HTC One A9 (Sprint version only), iPad Air 2, iPad Air (Verizon only), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Verizon only) and iPad Pro. Some devices may be eligible, but could have network band limitations that would result in a subpar experience. Some devices that may not be eligible. Devices must be unlocked domestically by your current carrier before switching. We will not accept lost/stolen devices. Features and network experience may vary based on original device carrier. Restrictions apply
    I like the last part of the quote "Restrictions apply", some of the are obvious to users to Hofo users like they must be unlocked or won't activate lost/stolen devices. However, there is a narrow list of devices that you have to check in the fine print for this BYOD policy to apply, with restrictions of course.

So if you're not a fan of anything Apple, Nexus, or Motorola then the not so friendly BYOD policy doesn't apply to you.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Staying with Project Fi, for now.
    If you are a low data user and don't need Verizon's map, Fi is probably the better option. Sprint's site shows a 1GB plan costing $40 a month; where you would get 2GB for the same price on Fi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    http://www.sprint.com/landings/bring-your-own-phone/
    Yes, Sprint has some expections to this "friendly BYOD policy"...its in the fine print.

I like the last part of the quote "Restrictions apply", some of the are obvious to users to Hofo users like they must be unlocked or won't activate lost/stolen devices. However, there is a narrow list of devices that you have to check in the fine print for this BYOD policy to apply, with restrictions of course.

So if you're not a fan of anything Apple, Nexus, or Motorola then the not so friendly BYOD policy doesn't apply to you.
    Are there compatible phones not on that list?

Feedback Score
    Sprint does have a friendly BYOD policy though - at least for a CDMA carrier. If you have a compatible device then you can bring it. I'm not aware of any exceptions anyway. Verizon, OTOH, won't let you bring anything except the newest/newer iPhones and Nexus phones.

At the same time, I do think Sprint should drop the in store requirement and make SIM/UCCID cards easier to get. There's no need for that.
    It isn't friendly at all. First of all, Sprint and Verizon share the same restrictions on which devices can come in via BYOD. Second, as you point out, Sprint still hasn't embraced SIM portability. They're the only carrier which assigns specific SKUs to SIM cards which makes it near impossible to get signed up in a store when it seems like 50% of the time they dont have the specific SIM that you need.

Verizon doesn't do this so I can more or less guarantee that I can sign up with a BYOD device because they'll always have SIMs available.

Lastly, both Sprint and Verizon reps many times are ignorant or just play dumb when it comes to BYOD. I've seen reps flat out lie to customers and tell them that they can't bring an iphone over when they clearly can.

I realize CDMA's white-listing system creates lots of limitations but Sprint makes it much harder than Verizon because of the SIM policy.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Sprint still has nightmarish systems for BYOD as far as their technology goes on the network side, for example having to attach devices to the network side via MEID. Tweet at or contact Marci Clarris for help, sometimes it takes the high level people intervening in a situation like this. It shouldn't...but that's how it is.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    If you are a low data user and don't need Verizon's map, Fi is probably the better option. Sprint's site shows a 1GB plan costing $40 a month; where you would get 2GB for the same price on Fi.
    One idea was that if we travel this summer her cellular data usage would go way up, unless I keep my T-Mobile WiFi tethering turned on. Also, having a fall-back to Verizon's coverage would have been nice, even though I do keep a PagePlus PAYG as a backup. We've discussed this in previous threads here.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Are there compatible phones not on that list?
    Even if there are, they have a specific list of eligible devices which they will activate while the rest appears to fall under "some devices may be eligible" category or that caveat is for devices which are eligible for activation on the Sprint network and they added the disclaimer to protect themselves in case of a dispute with a customer over how its suppose to work. The fact they muddled around with the disclaimer on their BYOD policy just makes it a PITA to deal with.

If there are other compatible devices not on the list..
    Well, I know my LG Motion MS770 from the old Metro PCS is compatible with Sprint, but that doesn't necessarily align with what Sprint constitutes as an "eligible device". And, I know because I would roam on Cricket, Sprint or Verizon Wireless on 1900 MHz 1x/EV depending where I was.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Sprint still has nightmarish systems for BYOD as far as their technology goes on the network side,......
    The whole idea that you have to come into a store to do it is crazy. I can activate ex-Alltel and CSpire phones on PagePlus, over the phone. There's no reason one can't activate a Nexus 5x, on Sprint, the same way. Ship me a SIM and walk me through the setup. I'm sure if those [good fellows] in the local Sprint store can handle it, so can I.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The whole idea that you have to come into a store to do it is crazy. I can activate ex-Alltel and CSpire phones on PagePlus, over the phone. There's no reason one can't activate a Nexus 5x, on Sprint, the same way. Ship me a SIM and walk me through the setup. I'm sure if those [good fellows] in the local Sprint store can handle it, so can I.
    To be fair, AT&T also has a bunch of different SIM types. I also had to go into a store and buy a SIM for a GoPhone because my IMEI on my old iPhone would always come up as invalid. Yet when I bought a SIM it worked fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, and a Google Pixel 2 on the way
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klakzky View Post
    Oh come on. This is absurd. That's a dumb way to prevent identity theft. If Sprint wants to do something this extensive, install a tablet somewhere and have questions displayed visually with multiple choice answers. It's crazy to have to answer stuff like that over the phone.

Also the rep screwed up and didn't explain the non credit check options. Also why would the OP even need a credit check if they had a phone already. The only benefit of credit checks is device financing which wasn't really needed in this case since they came with a phone.

The issue isn't identity theft protections. The issue is how the process was handled. Sprint handed this extremely poorly. A customer's first impression with a company is everything and Sprint managed to create a poor impression right off the bat. Those are the customers that you not only never win back but they also proceed to tell others about their poor customer service experience (like this thread). And I'm inclined to agree with the OP. This was a poorly managed experience.

Also Sprint's BYOD experience as a whole isn't very good. Too many reps have no idea what they're doing when it comes to customers bringing in Nexus phones.
    From what I can tell he was porting into a one line tmobile 50% off plan at $32 a month. I'm sure they have options where no credit pull is necessary but for that plan I doubt that is an option. I know when I was with sprint it wasn't option on post paid and I doubt it is on this plan either as the margins are quite thin. People that freak out over credit pulls crack me up...my credit is 800+ and I don't ever freak out over a credit pull. Credit pulls used to ding you pretty hard but now credit pulls don't hit your credit nearly as hard so calm down and just let Sprint do their job. I get these same questions from just about everyone that looks at my credit now so this is absolutely a standard process at this point.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Odds are they are using some kind of public record service like Lexis Nexus that still has that old information. If they were pulling from a credit agency they would just be asking about stuff that is on your credit profile.

This isn't really Sprint's fault though. They just want to make sure that you are who you say you are and they don't usually have a way to select which verification items are presented. It's a pain, but all companies that extend credit do the same thing.

I say usually because I think I was able to get someone to either ask me a new question or accept multiple possible answers for a question.

Buying a car was surprisingly easy when I did it. I don't think I even answered a security question, but whenever I apply for a credit card or pull my credit report I have to answer some bizarre questions.
    This thread was pointless as the process you're complaining about is an identity theft deterrent. I'm sorry your wife couldn't answer those questions but don't hold that against Sprint. I would rather them be too thorough and help prevent people from having their identities stolen then not have any process in place to prevent identity theft. Getting mad over something like this is absurd and honestly you should be ashamed of yourself for even bringing it up. Utterly pathetic...
    I don't get this corporate apologist mindset - much of this does fall to Sprint. They are the company requiring her to go through such a silly and inane process. I've had to answer these questions for my yearly free credit report - I missed one once that wasn't true any way to answer it so I only got 2 of 3 that year. This is just to see your credit, mind you.

So, Sprint could choose many other methods and actually empower the folks in the store to do this. Why call? Why not use other methods with ID and such verify? I've bought a house and car without answering such questions - surely phone service isn't as big of a deal. As someone else said, it is a wonder Sprint even has a business with such draconian process.

Also, forgiving Sprint for having a 'relatively easy BYOP for CDMA' is also inane. Sprint, themselves, are/were part of the problem that CDMA traditionally didn't take other phones. There never was a technical reason not to, just a corporate policy in place to lock customers in. Tmo and ATT have, for years, shown that using outside phones didn't crash the network and leave cities in ruin and families crying and livestock running off. Sprint could easily do this just like ATT and Tmo have for years - please show me why they couldn't or what it would hurt.

To DRN - Sorry this happened. I'd at least take this slightly funny side of it away - a Sprint store was full and actually appeared to be being used. I don't think I've seen more than a person or two in a Sprint store in years as I drive by.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    What an idiot. He could have run your application under the No Credit Check sub-type and put all 9's in under your social.
    The statement above, coming from a current Sprint employee, shows how Sprint dropped the ball in OP's case. As OP was not buying a phone or locking into some form of contract, it seems as if the agent had no incentive whatsoever to provide OP with other options to obtain service. It's a shame that Sprint's commission structure oft times result in the loss of potential customers.

Feedback Score
    From what I can tell he was porting into a one line tmobile 50% off plan at $32 a month. I'm sure they have options where no credit pull is necessary but for that plan I doubt that is an option. I know when I was with sprint it wasn't option on post paid and I doubt it is on this plan either as the margins are quite thin. People that freak out over credit pulls crack me up...my credit is 800+ and I don't ever freak out over a credit pull. Credit pulls used to ding you pretty hard but now credit pulls don't hit your credit nearly as hard so calm down and just let Sprint do their job. I get these same questions from just about everyone that looks at my credit now so this is absolutely a standard process at this point.
    Credit pulls and identity validation are separate. You can do a credit pull without subjecting a customer to the identity screen. And the point is, if you're going to mandate an identity screen, do it in a way that makes sense. Having a customer answer questions to validate their identity in a loud store with someone over the phone is silly. You can do the same thing electronically via a computer or tablet.

As for the actual credit pull, that requires little more than a person's name, address and SSN. All of that can be done directly at the point of purchase.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast