Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: U.S. mobile networks inferior to many in Europe; T-Mobile ranks 1st in U.S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One of my college chums lives in the VA DC suburbs and when he crosses the bridge over the Potomac he'll say, "Now leaving DC, entering the United States."
    Technically that is true. D.C. has been denied state status for a very long time. It is a territory with 700,000 U.S. citizens that pay taxes but have no legal representation in Congress. Many of my friends that live in D.C. call themselves colonists. Obama won't push D.C. statehood but he plans on staying in D.C. which will ironically make him another U.S. citizen without representation.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone_guru View Post
    .... Obama won't push D.C. statehood but he plans on staying in D.C. which will ironically make him another U.S. citizen without representation.
    Along with everyone in PR, USVI, Guam and all the gooney birds on Wake Island. None of which are states. IMHO, if the people in DC want representation, everything but a small Federal enclave should be returned to Maryland. That's much better than giving two Senate seats to a city whose only business is government.
    Donald Newcomb

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on the area, up here in Mendocino County in rural Northwestern California, the carriers rank like this for coverage -

1. U.S. Cellular
    2. Verizon
    3. AT&T
    4. T-Mobile

For network speeds and performance -

1.Verizon
    2. AT&T
    3. T-Mobile
    4. U.S. Cellular

Sprint is a non issue for us, they don't have service here, they roam on U.S. Cellular for service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    +1 UK Networks are pretty bad. I think LTE will improve since they are delpoying it on better spectrum, but UMTS/HSPA+ was generally atrocious throughout the UK.

On the other hand, I've had decent networks elsewhere in Europe. Canada from what i hear is adequately covered but very expensive.

This "study" seems completely bogus for multiple reasons.
    Most of their 2G is on 1800 & most of their 3G is on 2100. EE beat their competitors to the LTE market by about a year due to an excess of 2G 1800 MHz spectrum (EE was formed in a merger between TMO UK & Orange UK, so they had both networks towers & spectrum to play with.)

EE is the largest cellular network (in terms of both total and LTE coverage) in the UK by far, and ironically has no lowband 3G, however just like 3 UK, they recently won some 800 MHz and are using it for LTE.

The only lowband 2G/3G 800 MHz licenses are permed by Vodaphone UK (Verizon Wireless' former 45% stakeholder that's now sitting on $140B) & O2 UK, who don't seem to really care about rural coverage (both their coverage maps won't actually show you the whole country, like EE's, 3's, & any US carrier's.) This ends up being better for EE, as their 800/1800/2600 MHz mix of LTE performs beautifully on their 1800 MHz spaced grid.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score

U.S. mobile networks inferior to many in Europe; T-Mobile ranks 1st in U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I was just in Monaco, the second smallest country in the world and lost coverage in a few spots. Cellular is a fickle beast.
    Sometimes with areas of very small jurisdiction, cellular service or spectrum is provided by a larger entity. For example, cellular service in Vatican City is provided by Italian carriers on Italian spectrum. In Palestine & the West Bank, Israeli carriers don't provide service, but Palestinian carriers spectrum and service are regulated by Israel. They JUST got 3G in Palestine. Maybe your service in Monaco was being provided by a French carrier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Along with everyone in PR, USVI, Guam and all the gooney birds on Wake Island. None of which are states. IMHO, if the people in DC want representation, everything but a small Federal enclave should be returned to Maryland. That's much better than giving two Senate seats to a city whose only business is government.
    Clearly you don't know anything about D.C. since only a small percentage of the residents work for the government. It's one of the top cities in the country for startups and technology. Or practically every association or non-profit has its headquarters here. Most of the government buildings are in Maryland or Virginia since land is cheaper. Then there are 19 major universities inside the District. Or the large amount of doctors, medical facilities, etc.

D.C. has the highest number of professionals with post-graduate degrees of any state and one of the highest average incomes ($90,000). Just for the record, that's higher than San Francisco where the average is only $80,000.

The only reason that D.C. doesn't have senate seats is that the Republicans fear that D.C. would tip the scale for the Democrats as it has been a Democratic area for decades. It's a political issue.

How would you feel if Florida lost its voting rights and was governed by Georgia? The average income of Florida is only $47,000.

It doesn't make sense for Maryland to reacquire the District. The District deserves to become the State of New Columbia just like Vermont and Wyoming get to be states. For the record, both have smaller populations than the District.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

How would you feel if Florida... was governed by Georgia?
    I wouldn't care

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I wouldn't care
    Ok for you...how about California losing it's voting rights and governed by Nevada?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok for you...how about California losing it's voting rights and governed by Nevada?
    I was kidding, hence the

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Clearly you don't know anything about D.C. since only a small percentage of the residents work for the government. It's one of the top cities in the country for startups and technology. Or practically every association or non-profit has its headquarters here. Most of the government buildings are in Maryland or Virginia since land is cheaper. Then there are 19 major universities inside the District. Or the large amount of doctors, medical facilities, etc.

D.C. has the highest number of professionals with post-graduate degrees of any state and one of the highest average incomes ($90,000). Just for the record, that's higher than San Francisco where the average is only $80,000.

The only reason that D.C. doesn't have senate seats is that the Republicans fear that D.C. would tip the scale for the Democrats as it has been a Democratic area for decades. It's a political issue.

How would you feel if Florida lost its voting rights and was governed by Georgia? The average income of Florida is only $47,000.

It doesn't make sense for Maryland to reacquire the District. The District deserves to become the State of New Columbia just like Vermont and Wyoming get to be states. For the record, both have smaller populations than the District.
    +1, I've been to DC a handful of times and it's appalling to me that so many citizens lack some of the fundamental rights that everyone in the Government centered there swears to uphold & protect.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Clearly you don't know anything about D.C. since only a small percentage of the residents work for the government. It's one of the top cities in the country for startups and technology. Or practically every association or non-profit has its headquarters here.
    As I said, their only business is government. The startups and technology firms sell to the government, the non-profits and associations are only there because of the government.
    All because of government. Here's a test for you. Move every Federal Government function from the DC area to central Nebraska. What sort of "state" would be left?
    Most people are appalled by the idea of admitting a state smaller than Rhode Island.
    Average income? When did money get to vote?
    Makes perfect sense to give them back to Maryland. Except the only question would be if there's enough there to make a new county or split it up between Prince George & Montogmery Counties.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I always liked the idea of a chunk of NoVA and surrounding Maryland forming the "New Dominion" state. The region has a very strong identity as it is.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    UK??? Have they ever BEEN here? UK mobile networks are rubbish. I miss the great mobile reliability I had in the US. Sure, peak speeds are higher here... but coverage and reliability are awful.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Most people are 'appalled' by letting DC in as a state? Isn't that a little strong? I haven't seen polling on the issue in a very long time though.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    UK??? Have they ever BEEN here? UK mobile networks are rubbish. I miss the great mobile reliability I had in the US. Sure, peak speeds are higher here... but coverage and reliability are awful.
    Yep. They're awful as a few of us also stated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast