Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: U.S. mobile networks inferior to many in Europe; T-Mobile ranks 1st in U.S.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    555
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    0

    U.S. mobile networks inferior to many in Europe; T-Mobile ranks 1st in U.S.

    All four major U.S. carriers ranked in the bottom half of a new study of "the consumer app experience" on 27 mobile networks in seven countries.

    The report from Apteligent and the industry analyst firm STL Partners gauges mobile network speeds and reliability by measuring the performance of apps on the networks. The top five networks in terms of performance are in France and the U.K.; the worst networks are in Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.S.

    T-Mobile had the best showing of any U.S. carrier but scored only 45 out of 100, 37 points fewer than France's Bouygues Telecom and four points below the median. Verizon placed second among American carriers with a score of 43, while AT&T scored 37 and Sprint finished in the bottom five carriers with a score of 33.

    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-us/2016-04-26
    You can follow me on Twitter @jamssx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,310
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    UK mobile networks? Reliable? Lmfao. You'll see more EDGE on EE, the British equivalent of Verizon when it comes to LTE coverage & reliability, then on pre-LTE T-Mobile.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

    Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,923
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been to many countries and even some really poor ones and it's almost always the same case. No matter what country I am in it usually works much better than what I'm used to in the US. Cell service in the US is not reliable when compared to other places no matter what carrier you have. I can't think of a country I've been to that didn't have better cell service unless they were just starting out. A friend from London couldn't believe how crappy Verizon was and then when he saw the price he about had a heart attack. He got T-Mobile real quick after that

    It's nice to see T-Mobile nipping at the heals of att and Verizon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,062
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is a bogus report. It tests network performance by testing app performance. It smells of self-promotion (buy our platform to test your app). We have been down this road before. So now the networks are responsible for making sure apps are optimized on their network?

    There are just too many variables in the code bases to make this a reliable study.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,442
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, the Verizon guys will be all over why this is a flawed analysis. Any unbiased opinions out there?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,390
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I've been to many countries and even some really poor ones and it's almost always the same case. No matter what country I am in it usually works much better than what I'm used to in the US. Cell service in the US is not reliable when compared to other places no matter what carrier you have. I can't think of a country I've been to that didn't have better cell service unless they were just starting out. A friend from London couldn't believe how crappy Verizon was and then when he saw the price he about had a heart attack. He got T-Mobile real quick after that

    It's nice to see T-Mobile nipping at the heals of att and Verizon.
    This generalization doesn't work well since if you start traveling to a country frequently you'll eventually find out which providers work and don't work for the areas of country you return to. You end up picking your favorite wireless carrier and on subsequent visits to the country you either pick the network to roam on or you pick up that wireless carriers SIM card because you have already made up your mind on the quality of service you get from the provider. I don't know about you, but I already know what wireless network I want to use when I return to a particular country.

    Not all wireless carriers are equal in a given country, no different on how it is with the US.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,854
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's easy to cover countries the size of postage stamps.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,892
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It's easy to cover countries the size of postage stamps.
    Even the larger European countries have population densities far higher than the US. (e.g. Poland #91 @123/sqkm, France #95 @118, Spain #112 @93, USA #182 @~33) The population density of Spain is ~3 times higher than the US.
    Donald Newcomb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    123
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Come on. The most dense European city is Paris with a population of 2.2m people. NYC's population is 17.8m alone. Add the U.S. being the 3rd largest nation by mass. It's no contest.

    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Even the larger European countries have population densities far higher than the US. (e.g. Poland #91 @123/sqkm, France #95 @118, Spain #112 @93, USA #182 @~33) The population density of Spain is ~3 times higher than the US.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,996
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    Come on. The most dense European city is Paris with a population of 2.2m people. NYC's population is 17.8m alone. Add the U.S. being the 3rd largest nation by mass. It's no contest.
    According to Wikipedia Paris has a population density around 21K/km^2. NYC has a population density 11K/km^2. There is actually a French city with a population density around 27K/km^2, so that would be denser than Paris.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,892
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    Come on. The most dense European city is Paris with a population of 2.2m people. NYC's population is 17.8m alone. Add the U.S. being the 3rd largest nation by mass. It's no contest.
    OK but what does that imply? As 2400zr points out, the population density of Paris is still higher than NYC's. The whole point is that Europe has a lot more people per sqmi or sqkm than the US but everyone in the US still wants ubiquitous LTE service in every little backwater. The population density of the US falls between Zimbabwe and Venezuela and is not much higher than the Democratic Republic of Congo. That's a lot of ground to cover and not a that many people per sqmi to pay for it. Additionally, there is fierce competition for customers based on price. While Canada is much further down the population density list and has good service, a constant complaint on this forum from our friends to the North is that they have little competition and pay huge prices.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    123
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Fine, but this still proves my point. As a network operator, what requires more investment and is more challenging. Covering 2.2mm people in 40.7 square miles (Paris) or 17.8m people in 304.6 square miles (NYC)? It's clear NYC requires more towers, small cells, etc. to account for the larger surface area and more spread out population.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    According to Wikipedia Paris has a population density around 21K/km^2. NYC has a population density 11K/km^2. There is actually a French city with a population density around 27K/km^2, so that would be denser than Paris.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    2,745
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Well, the Verizon guys will be all over why this is a flawed analysis. Any unbiased opinions out there?
    I recently switched to T-Mobile from ATT. I had to laugh about their calling T-Mobile the most reliable network in the US. I have more dropped calls now than ever. My indoor coverage is nowhere near as reliable as ATT was. Simply put T-Mobile is definitely not up to par with ATT or Vzw where I live.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,892
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    Fine, but this still proves my point. As a network operator, what requires more investment and is more challenging. Covering 2.2mm people in 40.7 square miles (Paris) or 17.8m people in 304.6 square miles (NYC)? It's clear NYC requires more towers, small cells, etc. to account for the larger surface area and more spread out population.
    I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make. It takes more infrastructure to cover a greater area. If there are fewer customers in that area, the cost per customer increases and profit margins decrease. In any event, the article didn't say, "in large cities". It also did not say, "in the countryside". It was talking about the countries as units, overall and overall the US has many fewer people per sqkm than Europe. Although, I'm not sure of the population density of the US if Alaska is excluded.

    Edit. Back of envelope calculation shows that excluding Alaska, the US population density is about 43/sqkm or about the same as South Africa.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,635
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Eh - don't care. I'm not excusing ANY American provider, especially the Twin Bells, but America is the third largest country in both population and geographic size (China cheats on their size estimates).

    So, stating we stink at networks on a land mass significantly larger than that tiny UK island with the fraction of the people, my eyebrows don't raise much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vodafone Netherlands Blackberry Z10 Network Code to work wth KPN/T-Mobile Netherlands
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM
  2. KPN Netherlands Blackberry Z10 Network Code to use with Vodafone/T-Mobile
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
  3. Bell Sony Xperia ZL Network Unlocking to use with Rogers,fido,Mobilicity,Chatr,wind
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 09:50 PM
  5. Hows the WIND Mobile Network compared to Mobilicity?
    By jjoaquin23 in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks