Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Verge: Sprint calls T-Mobile 'ghetto' in exceptionally tasteless ad

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The Verge: Sprint calls T-Mobile 'ghetto' in exceptionally tasteless ad

Article

Looks like Sprint pulled the ad.

I always thought Marcelo's listening tour was a bit disingenuous. The individuals on his tour appear to be predominately white and affluent. He never announced how someone could participate and offer feedback. We aren't told anything about where these people came from. Entire thing feels like a reality TV setup.

Sprint seems to continue to make terrible marketing decisions, despite hiring a new team and new consultant. I never really did understand why he went through the trouble of lunch with "customers" instead of simply making changes to the plans (like getting rid of activation fees!).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah they pulled it after all the criticism.

This just highlights what's wrong with Sprint management. They'd rather spend time and money making fun of their most successful competitor (you know, the one everyone thought was dead a few years ago but is now growing revenue at record rate, is constantly adding millions of customers, has become profitable, and is actually expanding their network to attempt to eventually match AT&T/Verizon).

Sprint, this is not that difficult. Throw all your money at the network (no excuse; you have the spectrum other carriers wish they had) and beat T-Mobile's pro-consumer offerings and people will come. That's it. Being pro-consumer does not mean pricing yourself lower than the competition. T-Mobile did that before Legere and failed miserably. It means giving consumers what they want so they pay up. In a way even Verizon does this. Verizon gives them stellar network, so people pay up.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post

This just highlights what's wrong with Sprint management. They'd rather spend time and money making fun of their most successful competitor (you know, the one everyone thought was dead a few years ago but is now growing revenue at record rate, is constantly adding millions of customers, has become profitable, and is actually expanding their network to attempt to eventually match AT&T/Verizon).

Sprint, this is not that difficult. Throw all your money at the network (no excuse; you have the spectrum other carriers wish they had) and beat T-Mobile's pro-consumer offerings and people will come. That's it. Being pro-consumer does not mean pricing yourself lower than the competition. T-Mobile did that before Legere and failed miserably. It means giving consumers what they want so they pay up. In a way even Verizon does this. Verizon gives them stellar network, so people pay up.
    Yes. All of this. Yes. 100%
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post

Imagine a 100% LTE overlay of combined Sprint CDMA, old iden coverage, and old Clear coverage.. 25/26/41 on every tower... wow, what could've been..

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Funny that Claure didn't advertise what people thought about Sprint. What was the goal in airing such an ad? Pathetic Sprint.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbin View Post
    Funny that Claure didn't advertise what people thought about Sprint. What was the goal in airing such an ad? Pathetic Sprint.
    Actually they did post that, try looking on YouTube under Sprint Travel and it will pull up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is no more distasteful than T-Mobile's trashy CEO's constant profanity and childishness he always displays. And these were customers, not Sprint. Never did I see where Sprint or their employees use the term Ghetto.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Actually they did post that, try looking on YouTube under Sprint Travel and it will pull up.
    Was it aired as an advertisement?

And these were customers, not Sprint. Never did I see where Sprint or their employees use the term Ghetto.
    If it is a Sprint ad, whether you like it or not, the message is going to be attributed to Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is no more distasteful than T-Mobile's trashy CEO's constant profanity and childishness he always displays. And these were customers, not Sprint. Never did I see where Sprint or their employees use the term Ghetto.
    At least T-Mobile's network is consistent in most areas. More than Sprint can say.

I have both and T-Mobile's network usually backs up his trash talk, while Sprint is still the "next week" network in many parts.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Article

Looks like Sprint pulled the ad.

I always thought Marcelo's listening tour was a bit disingenuous. The individuals on his tour appear to be predominately white and affluent. He never announced how someone could participate and offer feedback. We aren't told anything about where these people came from. Entire thing feels like a reality TV setup.

Sprint seems to continue to make terrible marketing decisions, despite hiring a new team and new consultant. I never really did understand why he went through the trouble of lunch with "customers" instead of simply making changes to the plans (like getting rid of activation fees!).

Interesting article (and ad). My first three thoughts:

1) If the term "ghetto" refers to the economic status of the customer base, I find this ad to be very ironic. Trying to classify T-Mobile's customer base as "ghetto" (i.e. lower income; from a less affluent portion of the city) while Sprint consistently prices their own plans lower than the competition to attract the "cheapest" denominator (i.e. 50% off promo) isn't ironic at all... is it? In fact, most lower/lower-middle income families I see, meet, or work with seem to use Sprint or Sprint MVNO's (such as Boost or StraightTalk)... not trying to stereotype, but this is my observation.

2) If the term "ghetto" refers to the area where the majority of the customer base comes from, this ad STILL doesn't make sense. Like I said before, most lower/lower-middle income families I see, meet, or work with seem to use Sprint or Sprint MVNO's (such as Boost or StraightTalk)... and many of them live in areas that may be defined as using such a term. However, the majority of T-Mobile users I know seem to live in suburbia or college towns... areas that I wouldn't use the term "ghetto" to describe.

3) No one in the room (including Marcelo) could think of a better insult (worse trait) to describe T-Mobile other than "ghetto"? Really??? No one could find a bigger problem/issue with T-Mobile that would be more "damaging" if advertised? I would say that's a BIG compliment to T-Mobile!
    - Chokaay

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    At least T-Mobile's network is consistent in most areas. More than Sprint can say.

I have both and T-Mobile's network usually backs up his trash talk, while Sprint is still the "next week" network in many parts.
    They are both value oriented carriers and it seems both CEO's need to use trashy language to get their message across. Not sure if they are targeting more uneducated audiences that find it funny or believe it to be true with their attitude with their ads.. T-Mobile is at least more consistent than Sprint, but both leave me unimpressed advertisement wise. I'm 28 yet I don't buy into the hipster BS T-Mobile tries to play off, and definitely don't find commercials like chainsaws cutting up bills to be appealing either.

While it is a very "dumb" commercial, I find Lilly on AT&T to be the most engaging commercial.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
    Interesting article (and ad). My first three thoughts:

1) If the term "ghetto" refers to the economic status of the customer base, I find this ad to be very ironic. Trying to classify T-Mobile's customer base as "ghetto" (i.e. lower income; from a less affluent portion of the city) while Sprint consistently prices their own plans lower than the competition to attract the "cheapest" denominator (i.e. 50% off promo) isn't ironic at all... is it? In fact, most lower/lower-middle income families I see, meet, or work with seem to use Sprint or Sprint MVNO's (such as Boost or StraightTalk)... not trying to stereotype, but this is my observation.

2) If the term "ghetto" refers to the area where the majority of the customer base comes from, this ad STILL doesn't make sense. Like I said before, most lower/lower-middle income families I see, meet, or work with seem to use Sprint or Sprint MVNO's (such as Boost or StraightTalk)... and many of them live in areas that may be defined as using such a term. However, the majority of T-Mobile users I know seem to live in suburbia or college towns... areas that I wouldn't use the term "ghetto" to describe.

3) No one in the room (including Marcelo) could think of a better insult (worse trait) to describe T-Mobile other than "ghetto"? Really??? No one could find a bigger problem/issue with T-Mobile that would be more "damaging" if advertised? I would say that's a BIG compliment to T-Mobile!
    The majority of T-Mobile customers being prepaid subs I could see possibly being thought of as lower income customers, while it may not be true for all prepaid subs it seems to be generally accurate.

Out of college a lot of my friends with no credit wanted a phone but not prepaid, so they got T-Mobile and Sprint until they built credit. Now most of them are on AT&T. While that's find, it doesn't seem like either carrier is trying to attract more profitable customers.
    To be honest I really don't care what people think about my choice in cell service. I have a line with every carrier, but being an engineer it's a lot more exciting to me than most however I would not feel like I was poor or low class when telling someone I have Sprint or T-Mobile if it was my primary phone. If I am working and can keep my account current and not in collections/delinquency then I would be proud to get what I could afford or worked best for me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You know what's ghetto? Calling Sprint customer care and getting someone in the Philippines 7 times in a row.

I guess the stigma of prepaid being for people with poor credit or lower income will remain. I originally chose Sprint based off of unlimited data. Fast forward years later and I use Cricket for my main line.

When I deal with Cricket support I expect it to be from overseas. Sprint.....no. I can't comment if T-Mobile has U.S. call centers but I believe they do. Sprint may have some to but not like they used to. And if they do I haven't been connected to one on three different attempts the last 2 months.

The last cell commercial that made me laugh is the Metro PCS one where people are breaking up with Sprint.

That's how far Sprint is fallen? To have a 'ghetto' prepaid come and eat your lunch.

Sprint, Thanks for the free year!

- Moto e5 cruise (Cricket)
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint choose that video, approved its content, and posted the video to their channel (not the individuals in the video), so yeah, it was directly from the mouth of Sprint. Not only that, why should we believe these individuals are "real" customers instead of paid members of a focus group? At least Legere's profanity fuels rants are true, and you probably have a better wireless plan because of it. T-Mobile is giving customers what they want. That's is damn refreshing and I don't know why any reasonable person wouldn't support such a movement. Why constantly vote against your own self-interest (like Republicans)?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    You know what's ghetto? Calling Sprint customer care and getting someone in the Philippines 7 times in a row.

I guess the stigma of prepaid being for people with poor credit or lower income will remain. I originally chose Sprint based off of unlimited data. Fast forward years later and I use Cricket for my main line.

When I deal with Cricket support I expect it to be from overseas. Sprint.....no. I can't comment if T-Mobile has U.S. call centers but I believe they do. Sprint may have some to but not like they used to. And if they do I haven't been connected to one on three different attempts the last 2 months.

The last cell commercial that made me laugh is the Metro PCS one where people are breaking up with Sprint.

That's how far Sprint is fallen? To have a 'ghetto' prepaid come and eat your lunch.
    T-Mobile is the same customer care wise, especially during heavy call times. AT&T is the same way with my unified bill. The only carrier I have not seen outsource their customer service internationally is Verizon Wireless.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast