Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vodafone Italy 4G

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Vodafone Italy 4G

Hi guys! I'm leoloca and I just bumped into this forum while I was looking for any solution to the crazy iPhone 6S field test not showing bandwidth and others information, not solution yet.
    I'm Italian, based in Milan, 23 yo and I'm an university student with a very strong passion for mobile phone networks. In Italy we have the same forum as yours, with speed tests and so on. I was looking at yours carriers speeds, here on the forum, and they are quite similar to ours.
    I'm on Vodafone network, both for my iPhone 6S and iPad Air. I think it's the best carrier we have in Italy. 4G (by 4G in Europe we mean LTE) covers 95% of population, almost 6300 municipalities out of 8000. 4G+ (LTE Advanced) covers 800 municipalities. 3G coverage reaches 98% of population. 2G coverage reaches 99% of population. It offers VoLTE for every costumers with capable handset.
    TIM is considered the second national carrier.
    We have 4 real carriers in Italy: Vodafone Italy, TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile), Wind Telecomunicazioni (the same as in Canada. It's Italian company but now Russians bought part of it) and H3G (also known as 3 or Hutchison Whampoa).
    We also have a lot of virtual mobile operators that run on the rail operator networks.
    Vodafone, TIM and Wind have 2G, 3G and 4G. 3 has 3G and 4G, when no service it roams on TIM 2G network.
    Bands are different from the ones use in the USA.
    These are the frequencies used in all European Union countries:
    2G: GPRS/EDGE, 900Mhz and 1800Mhz.
    3G: HSPA+ maximum download speed 42.2Mbps, 2100Mhz and 900Mhz to get a strong coverage inside.
    4G: 800Mhz Band 20, 1800Mhz Band 3, 2600Mhz Band 7.

800Mhz has 10Mhz bandwidth down and up.
    1800Mhz has 15Mhz bandwidth down and up.
    2600mhz has 15Mhz/10Mhz/20Mhz bandwidth down and up.

Vodafone and TIM have the whole spectrum.
    Wind has 800Mhz and 2600Mhz with 20Mhz.
    3 has 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz with 10Mhz.

4G+ (known as LTE ADVANCED, Carrier Aggregation) combines usually B 20 + B 3 maximum speed 175Mbps down and in the cities combines B 3 + B 7 maximum speed 225Mbps down.

Differences in spectrum are due to 2G networks and they need to reframe all the spectrum in order to gain more Mhzs.
    Wind and 3 asked European Union to approve their joint venture in order to become one carrier, with new name and so they will finally gain the possibility to use all the frequencies available in the Italian market.

My personal record on Vodafone LTE advanced network in Milan, in a central square, Piazza Duomo is 206Mbps down.
    The app I used for the speed test is called Vodafone Net Perform, it's an official Vodafone Italy app for running speed tests, it doesn't use your monthly data allowance and it helps Vodafone to collect data and see where the networks has problems and so on.

I'm sorry I cannot post pictures or links now because this is my first post, as soon as I get the chance I'll post them!

If you have any questions I'll happy to hear them

Ciao!
    Last edited by leoloca; 04-10-2016 at 06:34 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hello Leoloca,
    You probably won't get a lot of responses but I'm curious about VoLTE in Europe. In the USA there seems to be some issue with VoLTE that keeps some of the carriers from implementing it, or at least they are very slow about implementation. Also, have any of the carriers implemented any form of WiFi Calling? This is a somewhat popular feature here in the USA and can be quite useful for someone traveling abroad to help avoid high roaming costs.

I'm always eager to get back to Italy (altho I've never been to Milano, except the airport) and I was comparing the bands you mentioned against the list for our Nexus 5X and happily find that bands 20, 3 & 7 are all supported.

Can you say a little more about the "virtual mobile operators that run on the rail operator networks"? I understand that there is a GSM-R that was set aside for internal communications for the railroads. Is this being resold to the public?
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nice to have people outside of North America join us!

It sounds like Three doesn't have low band (800MHz) spectrum. Does that mean their LTE is spotty or mostly in the cities?

Do you support Wind and Three merging? That would leave three national carriers - would competition reduce or is it already really competitive and everyone priced similarly?

Tell us a bit about your monthly plans / tariffs. Are most people on contract/postpaid, or prepaid/pay as you go? What are common prices for your plans? As I understand plans in the US and Canada are pretty expensive compared to most European countries.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Hello Leoloca,
    You probably won't get a lot of responses but I'm curious about VoLTE in Europe. In the USA there seems to be some issue with VoLTE that keeps some of the carriers from implementing it, or at least they are very slow about implementation. Also, have any of the carriers implemented any form of WiFi Calling? This is a somewhat popular feature here in the USA and can be quite useful for someone traveling abroad to help avoid high roaming costs.

I'm always eager to get back to Italy (altho I've never been to Milano, except the airport) and I was comparing the bands you mentioned against the list for our Nexus 5X and happily find that bands 20, 3 & 7 are all supported.

Can you say a little more about the "virtual mobile operators that run on the rail operator networks"? I understand that there is a GSM-R that was set aside for internal communications for the railroads. Is this being resold to the public?
    In Italy we still don't have WiFi Calling, the coverage is pretty much good everywhere, just some rural or mountain areas have problems. Most of the European carriers offer roaming packages with minutes and data allowance for a very affordable price and it's fine to pay for it.
    Vodafone offers 500MB (when they finish speed is reduce but you can keep on surfing the web), 50 minutes and 50 texts for just 3€ per day.
    In The UK, EE has WiFi Calling, but they don't have VoLTE.
    In Europe VoLTE is not that much implemented.
    Vodafone has implemented it in its market like Spain, Italy, German, Portugal and so on.
    In Italy as I said before, Vodafone offers it since July 2015 for free to any costumers and I use it everyday and I have no problem with that. It works perfectly. HD Voice calls are available from Vodafone to Vodafone both on 3G or VoLTE network. TIM also offers VoLTE since December 2015 but it's available only for certain costumers with a very high price monthly plan, and they still don't have carrier update for iOS devices. Vodafone and TIM now are working to make HD Voice calls possible among their users, but TIM first needs to open VoLTE to all customers. That's one of the reason why I don't like TIM.
    In my opinion, VoLTE is a great technology improvement and I can't understand why all the other operators are reluctant to implement it on their network. Probably, in Italy WIND and 3 don't have enough money to invest and they prefer to invest more in 4G.
    4G coverage percentage of population covered is like:
    Vodafone 95%
    TIM 88%
    3 56%
    WIND 49%

I'm sorry my mistake, the iPhone corrected "real" in "rail" networks, I meant virtual operators that run on REAL networks like Vodafone, TIM, WIND and 3. We have a lot of virtuals.
    But yes, we have a GSM-R only used for railways communication and you won't find it if you scan the network with your phone, it's like they hide the network from us

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Nice to have people outside of North America join us!

It sounds like Three doesn't have low band (800MHz) spectrum. Does that mean their LTE is spotty or mostly in the cities?

Do you support Wind and Three merging? That would leave three national carriers - would competition reduce or is it already really competitive and everyone priced similarly?

Tell us a bit about your monthly plans / tariffs. Are most people on contract/postpaid, or prepaid/pay as you go? What are common prices for your plans? As I understand plans in the US and Canada are pretty expensive compared to most European countries.
    That's right! 3 doesn't have low band that is so important to get a strong coverage indoor and in rural areas. And yes, their LTE is spotty and they implement LTE randomly with no logical reason. In the big cities like Milan, Vodafone, TIM and 3 cover the city using band 3 1800Mhz and band 7 2600Mhz. We have a lot of towers and femtocells so it's easy to cover without the low band. WIND doesn't have band 3 so they use only band 20 and some times band 7 but they made a huge mistake because speeds are affected by low SNR values. But outside the cities most of the coverage is on band 20 and sometimes band 3, in order to have LTE advanced. 3 in the rural areas lacks of coverage, just 3G 900Mhz is fine, but LTE 1800Mhz is so weak.
    I support 3 and WIND merging, but they are waiting European Union about that, because of the problem of being the third carrier in italy and that affects our market and prices. I support them because finally they will have all the frequencies and they can work to make their coverage better. And then start to implement LTE advanced and VoLTE.
    I'm on prepaid and my plan is Called Vodafone Special:
    1000 minutes to all
    1000 texts to all
    4GB
    Hotspot included
    Unlimited calls to a Vodafone number of my choice
    2 tickets for the cinema per week from Monday to Friday.
    Spotify Premium included
    For just 15,00€/month.
    Also on my iPad I'm on prepaid with Vodafone:
    10GB
    Netflix included
    For just 20,00€/month.
    In Italy prepaid plans are more common than postpaid ones. Postpaid plans are common among business plans and plans that offers smartphone + minutes, texts and Internet.
    Prices for prepaid are always under 20,00€/month. Postpaid can be up to 50,00/month€.
    3 has week plans like 4,00€/week.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Vodafone Italy 4G

Ok now I can post pictures too! Yaay
    4G+ band 3 + band 7, 30Mhz total.
    My personal record:

Here some screenshots:

HSPA+

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Vodafone Italy 4G

Here some towers:

In the next one you can see brand new antennas on the top by Vodafone with 2G, 3G and 4G band 20. And under soooo old TIM antennas.

Other towers:

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by leoloca View Post
    That's right! 3 doesn't have low band that is so important to get a strong coverage indoor and in rural areas. And yes, their LTE is spotty and they implement LTE randomly with no logical reason. In the big cities like Milan, Vodafone, TIM and 3 cover the city using band 3 1800Mhz and band 7 2600Mhz. We have a lot of towers and femtocells so it's easy to cover without the low band. WIND doesn't have band 3 so they use only band 20 and some times band 7 but they made a huge mistake because speeds are affected by low SNR values. But outside the cities most of the coverage is on band 20 and sometimes band 3, in order to have LTE advanced. 3 in the rural areas lacks of coverage, just 3G 900Mhz is fine, but LTE 1800Mhz is so weak.
    I support 3 and WIND merging, but they are waiting European Union about that, because of the problem of being the third carrier in italy and that affects our market and prices. I support them because finally they will have all the frequencies and they can work to make their coverage better. And then start to implement LTE advanced and VoLTE.
    I'm on prepaid and my plan is Called Vodafone Special:
    1000 minutes to all
    1000 texts to all
    4GB
    Hotspot included
    Unlimited calls to a Vodafone number of my choice
    2 tickets for the cinema per week from Monday to Friday.
    Spotify Premium included
    For just 15,00€/month.
    Also on my iPad I'm on prepaid with Vodafone:
    10GB
    Netflix included
    For just 20,00€/month.
    In Italy prepaid plans are more common than postpaid ones. Postpaid plans are common among business plans and plans that offers smartphone + minutes, texts and Internet.
    Prices for prepaid are always under 20,00€/month. Postpaid can be up to 50,00/month€.
    3 has week plans like 4,00€/week.
    That 15 euro plan is impressive. Here to get that much data on a smartphone on a top 2 network, you'd need Cricket Wireless. That's $45/month with unlimited talk/text and 5GB of data. Carriers here hate cheap prepaid customers and are treated as second class citizens, so limit of 8Mbps data speed on LTE and 4Mbps on HSPA+. Hotspot is obviously not included; $10 extra. We're up to $55/month. Spotify is $10/month. We're up to $65/month. Movie tickets are around $10/each. (Can be up to $20, depending on IMAX/3D/city). So that's a $20 value per week for you. $80 monthly value. $80+65 = $145 or almost 130 euros - what you get for 15 euros.

That 20 euro 10GB Netflix included plan would be $50/month (almost 45 euro) on a small carrier here / T-Mobile. Bigger carrier would be more and no Netflix.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    .....I'm sorry my mistake, the iPhone corrected "real" in "rail" networks, I meant virtual operators that run on REAL networks like Vodafone, TIM, WIND and 3. We have a lot of virtuals.
    But yes, we have a GSM-R only used for railways communication and you won't find it if you scan the network with your phone, it's like they hide the network from us
    I thought that there was something new that I didn't know about. Here in the Southeast US, you can get a type of cellular service from a subsidiary of the regional electric company. When they converted their maintenance radio service to digital, they gained extra capacity, which they sold mostly to other businesses to help offset the cost of the digital conversion. When you wrote "rail" I thought that maybe RFI had done something similar.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    That 15 euro plan is impressive. Here to get that much data on a smartphone on a top 2 network, you'd need Cricket Wireless. That's $45/month with unlimited talk/text and 5GB of data. Carriers here hate cheap prepaid customers and are treated as second class citizens, so limit of 8Mbps data speed on LTE and 4Mbps on HSPA+. Hotspot is obviously not included; $10 extra. We're up to $55/month. Spotify is $10/month. We're up to $65/month. Movie tickets are around $10/each. (Can be up to $20, depending on IMAX/3D/city). So that's a $20 value per week for you. $80 monthly value. $80+65 = $145 or almost 130 euros - what you get for 15 euros.

That 20 euro 10GB Netflix included plan would be $50/month (almost 45 euro) on a small carrier here / T-Mobile. Bigger carrier would be more and no Netflix.
    Woah! 130€! O: And I thought that in the US it was all cheap and full of data and top speed for everyone because you know sometimes I just look AT&T or T-Mobile websites and I see plans with unlimited everything and I was like "OMG I want to be an American citizen just for unlimited everything". I also saw T-Mobile un-carrier ad, and that was so weird, because in italy we don't have sim locked phones. If you buy an iPhone with Vodafone you can use it with others carriers with no problems.
    When I was in the US, in New York City 4 years ago, I was roaming on AT&T, Vodafone partner, but I wasn't so into telco and stuff, but I remember I was so excited about using AT&T network. Vodafone has roaming plans for Europe but also the US and Canada is included, 3€ per day.
    Definitely Vodafone is way better than those US plan though. Maybe Vodafone offers all of these because they are a super big company operating in different countries and they have several partnerships with Spotify, Netflix, Dropbox, Sky TV and so on.
    For example business plan also offers 250GB for free in your Dropbox account.
    Here no differences in speed if you are on prepaid or postpaid. Our carriers survive thanks to all prepaid customers, they love us, postpaid are the minority.
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but in the US among all the carriers you have also "local" carriers, like State carriers. Is that because the US market is really big? Is it worth being on a local carrier instead of AT&T, for example?
    I also know that Verizon has different frequencies, I don't know how to explain AT&T is GSM and Verizon is not, CDMA right? That always made me curious, because here in Europe and most of the other countries around the world, everything is GSM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I thought that there was something new that I didn't know about. Here in the Southeast US, you can get a type of cellular service from a subsidiary of the regional electric company. When they converted their maintenance radio service to digital, they gained extra capacity, which they sold mostly to other businesses to help offset the cost of the digital conversion. When you wrote "rail" I thought that maybe RFI had done something similar.
    It is so weird that you know RFI, did you dig in our market? I'm glad someone is interested in the Italian market!
    You know, Italian telcos are the most advanced in Europe, one of the first for speeds and technology.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It is so weird that you know RFI, did you dig in our market? I'm glad someone is interested in the Italian market!
    You know, Italian telcos are the most advanced in Europe, one of the first for speeds and technology.
    Well, I was going to say "FS" but I checked Wikipedia and learned that FS had been split into Trenitalia and RFI.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, I was going to say "FS" but I checked Wikipedia and learned that FS had been split into Trenitalia and RFI.
    Yes Trenitalia is the name of the company that sells transport services and RFI is the name of the company that controls the infrastructures.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Average speed on band 20 800Mhz in rural area:

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Average speed on band 20 800Mhz in rural area:
    Here the equivalent for rural, low band LTE would be:

Verizon: 700MHz (band 13) 10x10
    AT&T: 700MHz (band 12/17) 10x10 or 5x5
    T-Mobile: 700MHz (band 12) 5x5
    Sprint: 800MHz (band 26) 5x5

Our speeds usually aren't that high in rural locations unless there's carrier aggregation. That's because for Verizon/AT&T 700MHz was the original LTE network and every LTE phones has had that since like 2010... so that band is very busy. 75Mbps shared between all users doesn't go very far, haha... and other carriers only have 5x5 low band.

To be fair, carriers don't just deploy low band on rural towers - they also deploy other bands to help avoid congestion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast