Thread: In Ontario, Koodo is essentially Bell right?

Device(s)
    S6 edge+, Oneplus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Toronto In Ontario, Koodo is essentially Bell right?

Just looking at what the spectrum holdings are, and the fact that Bell and Telus have network sharing agreements, my question is in terms of coverage, the Koodo user has the same network coverage, speeds, etc. as a Bell/Virgin and Telus customer in ontario right?

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+
    Oneplus One

Two lines: Koodo MB $48
    $48 (pre-tax) | Unlimited CANADA-WIDE calling | All Calling Features (CID/VM/CW/CF/3way) | Unlimited TXT/MMS | 5GB of Data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
    Just looking at what the spectrum holdings are, and the fact that Bell and Telus have network sharing agreements, my question is in terms of coverage, the Koodo user has the same network coverage, speeds, etc. as a Bell/Virgin and Telus customer in ontario right?
    That's correct!

Most of Eastern Canada uses Bell towers for Telus/Koodo/Virgin customers, and western Canada uses Telus towers for Bell/Virgin/Koodo customers. So the network coverage & speeds are the same..

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv VeniceNA
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile/Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wes786 View Post
    That's correct!

Most of Eastern Canada uses Bell towers for Telus/Koodo/Virgin customers, and western Canada uses Telus towers for Bell/Virgin/Koodo customers. So the network coverage & speeds are the same..
    Thought this was only true for HSPA and not much LTE? For starters the CA is different between the two.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Thought this was only true for HSPA and not much LTE? For starters the CA is different between the two.
    Correct LTE is different, and Bell/Virgin have the band 7 2600 MHZ that Telus/Koodo do not.
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Telus definitely has band 7 now and all the key frequencies are shared. the only difference is very marginal: Telus has band 30 which hasn't been subordinated to Bell and Bell has inukshuk spectrum shared with Rogers. Both of these instances are very rare, there is little deployment of this spectrum.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    Telus definitely has band 7 now and all the key frequencies are shared. the only difference is very marginal: Telus has band 30 which hasn't been subordinated to Bell and Bell has inukshuk spectrum shared with Rogers. Both of these instances are very rare, there is little deployment of this spectrum.
    I stand (sit) corrected

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I thought Band 7 is what the Inukshuk spectrum was? And I believe when they took that down, Bell and Rogers just split up the B7 airwaves between them and they don't actually share the same transmitters. Now that Telus has additional B7 of their own, I believe that the Inukshuk B7 is included in Bell/Telus sharing.

Feedback Score
    It's all exactly equal everywhere in Canada except LTE band 30, which has few users.

See here:
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ned/m-p/129092
    Last edited by sheytoon; 12-22-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Didn't mean to add to the confusion here, there was a post a while back about some Bell/Rogers shared band 40 spotted in BC IIRC that may have been part of Inukshuk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I thought Band 7 is what the Inukshuk spectrum was? And I believe when they took that down, Bell and Rogers just split up the B7 airwaves between them and they don't actually share the same transmitters. Now that Telus has additional B7 of their own, I believe that the Inukshuk B7 is included in Bell/Telus sharing.
    Initial B7 spectrum blocks were from Inukshuk, but there was a subsequent auction in 2015 for the remaining blocks:
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11030.html

That's when Telus, Videotron and others picked up quite a bit of B7 and that's also when Bell started sharing their B7 with Telus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    Didn't mean to add to the confusion here, there was a post a while back about some Bell/Rogers shared band 40 spotted in BC IIRC that may have been part of Inukshuk.
    B40 and B42 are indeed Inukshuk TDD, which is on a separate network and marketed for fixed users. Regular mobile users who are normally on FDD are not allowed to access that network.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Would be nice to allow manually connecting to it. When Telus had their B40, all users were allowed on it. It was also a separate network broadcasting the same PLMN.

I see Inukshuk also has B43 range (3612.5MHz) active around here.
    Unfortunately, very hard to find B42/43 phones around.

EDIT: Seems you can connect, I asked a friend of mine who was able to connect to it this summer in Whistler (Inukshuk site LRHBCW1697-1Y/Rogers site W1697):
    Last edited by zivan56; 12-26-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    Oh wow, I didn't know that. I was told the IMSIs were locked to specific TACs. Good to know!