Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HPSA/GPRS Old Unlimited Data Plan - LTE Working but no Hotspot

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 5, Blackberry Q-10
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Telus
    Feedback Score

HPSA/GPRS Old Unlimited Data Plan - LTE Working but no Hotspot

I have the old HPSA/GPRS unlimited data plan with Fido. Everything is great, have LTE, etc. but I would also like at times to use mobile hotspot to share data with my devices. I am using Samsung Note 5 currently. Does anyone know how I can get hotspot working? Is it possible? I don't mind changing APN or whatever is needed during these times I want hotspot, but just not that technical or know how to maybe going about it if possible. Would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer to other threads, etc. I have searched and can't see to find any up to date information that may be relevant and let's face it... not many of these plans are still kicking around and being still used!

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    I too have an old unlimited Fido data plan. Mine has tethering on the plan, so I don't have to worry about that. But there are apps that you can download to get around the tethering issue if you have an android phone. But Beware of some of the apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mavevo44 View Post
    I have the old HPSA/GPRS unlimited data plan with Fido. Everything is great, have LTE, etc. but I would also like at times to use mobile hotspot to share data with my devices. I am using Samsung Note 5 currently. Does anyone know how I can get hotspot working? Is it possible? I don't mind changing APN or whatever is needed during these times I want hotspot, but just not that technical or know how to maybe going about it if possible. Would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer to other threads, etc. I have searched and can't see to find any up to date information that may be relevant and let's face it... not many of these plans are still kicking around and being still used!
    The issue may be a known "bug/feature" in KitKat 4.4. To appease some carriers that wanted to charge for hotspot use, KitKat 4.4 raises a digital flag when the feature is activated. The carrier can then send you a message that asks for your permission to activate (for a fee) or check that the feature has be activated and paid for. Rogers/Fido do not respond to the flag because they don't charge for hotspotting. Trouble is their non response results in no hotspot for KitKat 4.4 phones. There is a workaround involving a hack to KitKat described here:
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-f...ss-co-1436409/
    Of course this may not be your issue at all but it was mine and this was the cure.
    Last edited by snorlax14; 03-20-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Telus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a ton for your suggestion. Like I said I am not that tech savy in this department but I do know that I am on Android version 5.1.1. As it stands right now Fido customer service has requested their Tech Dept to take a look at it and it may be that they have to change some small coding on their end. I will find out in week or two they said. I will say this, every time I call in the Reps say they can't believe the plan I have... heard of them maybe existing but have never seen one. Which is cool, but at same time means not a lot of advice available on how to maybe get things fixed and they have no experience with these plans.

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Does the plan still include the unlimited US data as well? I remember when I had the original unlimited GPRS from Fido and was on vacation in Hawaii I downloaded some CD ISO's for fun.(some 13 years ago)

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, I would love to hear the outcome of this whole ordeal.

Device(s)
    Audiovox 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Wait... What??? I have the old plan as well ($50 unlimited GPRS). When did they allow LTE????

Device(s)
    Unlocked BlackBerry Passport | Unlocked OnePlus One | Unlocked BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers | T-Mobile Prepaid | TruPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jag604 View Post
    Wait... What??? I have the old plan as well ($50 unlimited GPRS). When did they allow LTE????
    I have this plan and I'm not sure how the original poster got LTE but mine doesn't have LTE. Occasionally, it will go to LTE on my device screen for a fraction of a second (generally during the boot-up process) before reverting back to the 3G display.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 Gigabit LTE Mobile Router MR1100

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Telus
    Feedback Score
    No to the US data and like I said, I did nothing special to my phone (Note 5) but I most of the time I have LTE. Last Speedtest I ran on March 16th I got 69.96 Mbps for download and 30.43 Mbps for upload, with ping of 36 ms. I have had speeds higher, just my last result in Burnaby, BC.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yah, I would love LTE on my plan, last time I talked to Fido they said that my plan with simply disappear when they shutdown the 3G network. Anyone think a complaint to CRTC or something would help?

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525(Data), Sammy A736(Voice) SOLD SE S500I(Voice), SOLD-Nokia 6300, Q9H, RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    You will get LTE if your device supports voice over LTE. (VoLTE)
    ===================================
    My blog: http://www.justgeeky.com
    My site: http://www.facilityhost.com
    Free Image Hosting: http://www.imageupload.ca
    My feedback

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N|KO View Post
    You will get LTE if your device supports voice over LTE. (VoLTE)
    I have a IPhone 6 Plus and I do not receive LTE with Fido .

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_2258 View Post
    Yah, I would love LTE on my plan, last time I talked to Fido they said that my plan with simply disappear when they shutdown the 3G network. Anyone think a complaint to CRTC or something would help?
    That might be worth considering when they shut the 3G network down in God knows how many years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jag604 View Post
    Not with fido but yes they allow lte on these old unlimited plans (man those of you that have it are lucky) you need an lte sim and you have to get a rep to add lte provisioning to your account.

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525(Data), Sammy A736(Voice) SOLD SE S500I(Voice), SOLD-Nokia 6300, Q9H, RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_2258 View Post
    I have a IPhone 6 Plus and I do not receive LTE with Fido .
    That's interesting, a friend of mine has the old GPRS data plan and LTE is working on his iphone 6s.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast