Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HPSA/GPRS Old Unlimited Data Plan - LTE Working but no Hotspot

Device(s)
    Nokia N80 / 6682 / 7610 / 3650 / 7210 / 8890 / 8390 / 7190 / 6190 / 5190 / 2190
    Carrier(s)
    Fido!!
    Feedback Score
    With GPUNL, LTE only works on currently supported Fido VoLTE devices. Right now this includes the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus and I have been told the Galaxy S6.

As frustrating as it is, the iPhone 6 will not work with LTE on this plan.

I don't think that we have ever seen an official statement from Fido about whether this is accidental or intentional. I suspect they may view the adoption of VoLTE as a trade off worthy of reducing impact on the HSPA network. Either that or they will eventually clue into this thread and fix this loophole if it's accidental.

Cheers,
    SD.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
    With GPUNL, LTE only works on currently supported Fido VoLTE devices. Right now this includes the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus and I have been told the Galaxy S6.

As frustrating as it is, the iPhone 6 will not work with LTE on this plan.

I don't think that we have ever seen an official statement from Fido about whether this is accidental or intentional. I suspect they may view the adoption of VoLTE as a trade off worthy of reducing impact on the HSPA network. Either that or they will eventually clue into this thread and fix this loophole if it's accidental.

Cheers,
    SD.

Thanks, I'm gonna check it out. My plan is a data only plan but I can make and recieve phone calls and text messages for $1/min, and 25cents text. I will try tonight. So hopefully that will work for me yet!

Device(s)
    ROKR E2
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    how do I get a rep to add lte provisioning? and is it confirmed I need a VoLTE compatible phone to get LTE working? Also maybe interested in selling my unlimited GPRS plan, any takers?

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alexhaj View Post
    how do I get a rep to add lte provisioning? and is it confirmed I need a VoLTE compatible phone to get LTE working? Also maybe interested in selling my unlimited GPRS plan, any takers?
    Sure, I PMd you.

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Nokia - Fido
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Don't tell me I shouldn't off cancelled my old Bell $30 Bell plan with unlimited internet fav 5 or 10 and unlimited texting from 2005 ?
    I thought data on this plan was only for wap browsers, and it will not work on 3g phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    Don't tell me I shouldn't off cancelled my old Bell $30 Bell plan with unlimited internet fav 5 or 10 and unlimited texting from 2005 ?
    I thought data on this plan was only for wap browsers, and it will not work on 3g phones.
    You should have kept that awesome plan data works on smartphones. Try asking bell to restore it for you

Device(s)
    V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Hi Mavevo,

Just wondering if you found a solution to the hotspot problem? I am having the same issue with a S7.

Oops... Nevermind.

I found the solution to my problem. Hopefully by sharing I can help someone else. I have a Fido S7 on the unlimited Fido data plan. When I tried enabled mobile hotspot, devices would connect via wifi but did not have internet access. What I found was DUN (dialup networking) was not enabled. To enable go to settings>mobile networks>access point names and select Fido LTE. Select APN Type and ensure you select an option with DUN (I selected internet, mms & DUN). Click save and your mobile hotspot is ready to go (no need to reboot).

Hope this helps someone else.
    Last edited by Dazed; 05-08-2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: found solution

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 5, Blackberry Q-10
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Telus
    Feedback Score
    I tried the DUN suggestion, have not rooted phone either, etc.... didn't work for me. I then got Marshmallow update from Samsung today and voila Mobile Hotspot now works like a charm on my old plan unlimited data plan, with LTE. I am happy to be back to having that option when I want and don't really mind how I got there. Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    For those of you with a VoLTE compatible device and the unlimited GPRS data plan, what speeds are you getting while downloading?
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525(Data), Sammy A736(Voice) SOLD SE S500I(Voice), SOLD-Nokia 6300, Q9H, RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys, I got the lg 3g vigor which should be volte compatible but it doesn't switch to lte nor do I see an option for volte. I have flashed a rogers rom and still nothing, ideas?
    ===================================
    My blog: http://www.justgeeky.com
    My site: http://www.facilityhost.com
    Free Image Hosting: http://www.imageupload.ca
    My feedback

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N|KO View Post
    Hey guys, I got the lg 3g vigor which should be volte compatible but it doesn't switch to lte nor do I see an option for volte. I have flashed a rogers rom and still nothing, ideas?
    Do you see 4G?

Edit: Wait, you say you flashed a Rogers rom, was it from another provider originally?

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525(Data), Sammy A736(Voice) SOLD SE S500I(Voice), SOLD-Nokia 6300, Q9H, RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stately Automat View Post
    Do you see 4G?

Edit: Wait, you say you flashed a Rogers rom, was it from another provider originally?
    Sold the phone since, however, the original provider was Fido. So I guessed flashing vice versa would work...but it didn't seem too. I have even tried a Rogers LTE sim in there..it still dropped to 4g when making a call.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido!!
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone figured out how Fido's database of "approved" GPUNL LTE/VoLTE devices work?

I had an iPhone 7 Plus that was working great with GPUNL and LTE. Unfortunately the screen went bad, and I had the unit replaced under AppleCare. The new unit has a radically different IMEI number. On this new handset the LTE/VoLTE and Wifi Calling won't work with Fido GPUNL.

I'm just wondering if this is something that Apple will eventually correct by posting a list of updated IMEI number to Fido, or if this will be a permanent problem. Speaking with first level support at both Fido and Apple is futile, and of course nobody at either company even understands the question.

Cheers,
    SD.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
    Has anyone figured out how Fido's database of "approved" GPUNL LTE/VoLTE devices work?

I had an iPhone 7 Plus that was working great with GPUNL and LTE. Unfortunately the screen went bad, and I had the unit replaced under AppleCare. The new unit has a radically different IMEI number. On this new handset the LTE/VoLTE and Wifi Calling won't work with Fido GPUNL.

I'm just wondering if this is something that Apple will eventually correct by posting a list of updated IMEI number to Fido, or if this will be a permanent problem. Speaking with first level support at both Fido and Apple is futile, and of course nobody at either company even understands the question.

Cheers,
    SD.
    Under the 'Enable LTE' option do you have both voice and data selected? I also have the old GPUNL plan, but mine is data only...so I don't believe VOLTE would work for me anyway...

This workaround seems to only work on lines with both voice and gpunl provisioned. I wonder how many people still have GPUNL... and why it is such a big deal to let us use LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N|KO View Post
    Under the 'Enable LTE' option do you have both voice and data selected? I also have the old GPUNL plan, but mine is data only...so I don't believe VOLTE would work for me anyway...

This workaround seems to only work on lines with both voice and gpunl provisioned. I wonder how many people still have GPUNL... and why it is such a big deal to let us use LTE
    Hello,

Yes - I have both "Voice and Data" selected under the "Enable LTE" Option.

In fact, here is some more detail about what is happening. If I put my SIM card back into the iPhone 6S, LTE comes back after about 10-15 minutes. I can then put my SIM card back into this problem iPhone 7 Plus. I will get LTE for a short while (and VoLTE). But after another 10-15 minutes the system obviously recognizes the IMEI change, and then kicks the device off LTE.

So the problem is most definitely related to whatever Fido is doing to track which phones are VoLTE capable. My first iPhone 7 Plus worked fine. This replacement phone has a radically different IMEI, which seems to be the problem.

Apple has attempted to investigate things from their end. They have apparently looked at the database that they provide Rogers/Fido - of course everything seems to be in order on their end. So they blame the carrier. Apple has still graciously offered to swap the handset again, because my first iPhone 7 Plus did work fine. They are also attempting to locate me a phone in the same IMEI range as my initial phone.

I'm giving them a chance to sort this out for me, will have to see what happens.

Cheers,
    SD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast