Thread: Keep hotspot on when plugged in

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    TMO YO!
    Feedback Score

Keep hotspot on when plugged in

Hi all, I'm seriously considering dumping uverse Internet for the 4th free line we don't use but can use hotspot for streaming. Anyone know how to keep it on like a wired connection?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Keep hotspot on when plugged in

Quote Originally Posted by adamlee2001GXE View Post
    Hi all, I'm seriously considering dumping uverse Internet for the 4th free line we don't use but can use hotspot for streaming. Anyone know how to keep it on like a wired connection?
    Depends if you mean a phone with hotspot capability.

For an iPhone, you need to keep something connected to it for the hotspot to stay on. If devices disconnect from it, the hotspot times out to save battery and you would need to go to Settings > hotspot for it to show up again.

Don’t have android so not sure about that one.

For regular hotspot device, there is a setting which you can turn off the timeout feature so it doesn’t go to sleep.

Also, depending on your plan, if you have certain amount of GB for hotspot, it’ll throttle to 3g after you use the data up and that may not be faster enough to stream much.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlee2001GXE View Post
    My Android phones generally have a timeout setting in the hotspot settings that include never. I have never personally tried running a phone hotspot for more than half an hour. I doubt it will be reliable and the Wifi range is not very good. Some phones I have tried it on got pretty hot after a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    I have tried using the hotspot fulltime in a handful of phones and it never ended well. Problem is that it is power intensive and always made the phones run very hot, and after a while the battery would expand and split the phone. If you are planning on using an additional line as a dedicated hotspot I would suggest using something like a GL-Inet X750. I have been using one for almost a year now and wish I had switched a lot sooner. And yes, you can use a phone sim in it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk