Thread: Can I not return the phone and sell it?

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Can I not return the phone and sell it?

Hi there,

I am on a SERO Premium Plan. On 2/17, I ordered a new Galaxy S6 for $200 (plus tax) from Telesales and signed another 2 year contract. On 2/22, I activated the phone. After playing with it for a few days, I decided to get a Galaxy Note 5. Since I was within the 14 days satisfaction guarantee, this was easy to do.

Today, I managed to get a Note 5 64GB ordered for me at $350. I paid for it with my CC.

Sprint is telling me they will refund the money for my S6 once they receive the phone back in the return kit.

My question is: do I really need to send my S6 back? I could resell it for +$350 since it's mint condition and only used for a few days.

Also, I sent in a $50 rebate for the S6. Could I wait to activate 30 days to activate the Note 5 so that I can get the rebate?

Thank you for any advice.
    My Ebay feedback

Feedback Score
    Timing is key here. Upon receipt of the return kit, you have 15 days to return the S6 to avoid being charged a "non-return fee" (the full price of the device). Be sure to note the tracking number from the return kit. There's a strip at the bottom of the label that you can rip off for your records. It may be useful if you ever need to provide tracking proof. It's unlikely you'll still receive the rebate. I believe the phone attached to the rebate has to remain active on the line for at least 30 days or something like that.

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbin View Post
    Timing is key here. Upon receipt of the return kit, you have 15 days to return the S6 to avoid being charged a "non-return fee" (the full price of the device). Be sure to note the tracking number from the return kit. There's a strip at the bottom of the label that you can rip off for your records. It may be useful if you ever need to provide tracking proof. It's unlikely you'll still receive the rebate. I believe the phone attached to the rebate has to remain active on the line for at least 30 days or something like that.
    Hi Bibbin,

Thanks for writing. Is the non-return fee going to be around +$500?

And are you absolutely certain that I will be charged this if I do not return the S6 in 15 days?

Thanks so much.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaobao12 View Post
    Hi Bibbin,

Thanks for writing. Is the non-return fee going to be around +$500?

And are you absolutely certain that I will be charged this if I do not return the S6 in 15 days?

Thanks so much.
    Yes you will. They agreed to upgrade you again to the Note, in exchange for the S6.

You will be charged the difference of what you paid for the S6 and the full retail, and you will end up loosing money on the deal if you do not send it back.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    Having been notified hasn't Sprint made this phone unactivatible until they resell it?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Having been notified hasn't Sprint made this phone unactivatible until they resell it?
    Hi Zap,

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying....

Feedback Score
    Hi Zap,

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying....
    I'm thinking if you notified Sprint that you're returning the S6. Whether you do or don't return the S6. Maybe Sprint is certain you're returning the S6 because you ordered the Note 5 without adding a line. Sprint then makes the S6 unactivatable.

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Hi Zapjb,

Sprint did not deactivate my S6. I'm still using it now. The Note is arriving today.

With that information, what are you thinking?

Feedback Score
    How do you figure you're going to get discounted prices on 2 phones with 1 signed contract?

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    How do you figure you're going to get discounted prices on 2 phones with 1 signed contract?
    Because they ordered a Note 5 for me at the subsidized rate - I think they had to reset the eligibility to do that? I'm not sure.

Feedback Score
    Because they ordered a Note 5 for me at the subsidized rate - I think they had to reset the eligibility to do that? I'm not sure.
    Yes they ordered it with the expectation that you would return the S6. So what's so hard to understand? You must return it or get charged full price, as stated above.

Or did you think Sprint would somehow forget that they sold you the S6 for a discount and let you keep it without any ramifications?

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes they ordered it with the expectation that you would return the S6. So what's so hard to understand? You must return it or get charged full price, as stated above.

Or did you think Sprint would somehow forget that they sold you the S6 for a discount and let you keep it without any ramifications?
    About 6 years ago, I remember doing this with a cheap-o smartphone. After activating, I switched out the phone (ESN switch) and gave the line to my brother. ....

Feedback Score
    Hi Zapjb,

Sprint did not deactivate my S6. I'm still using it now. The Note is arriving today.

With that information, what are you thinking?
    I'm in agreement with posts #9 & #11.