Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help with increasing speed/signal strength

Feedback Score

Help with increasing speed/signal strength

I apologize if this has been beat to the death, however I was wondering if anyone could suggest any tips on how to increase my service signal and network speed.

The run down:

I have unlimited data and use my phone as a hotspot. Phone is Galaxy S4.

I live in the sticks I get about on average 1 to 2 bars of LTE.

I get 0.13 to 0.50 Mbps download

I range from 41 to 2500 ping

dBm ranges -110 to -117

No matter what time of the day......

I went to Verizon and got a new sim card thinking maybe I needed a update. Yeah that didn't do anything. I don't need "fast" speed but recently I noticed its becoming painstakingly slow even for general browsing. No video or streaming at all.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    buy a cell phone amp and external antenna

Feedback Score
    The signal booster with an external amp might help. What is the signal ratio outside?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your problem may be the Galaxy S4 itself. My friend's S4 had the #[email protected]!%$#RF back in the day. His phone would be on No Service or 1x while my iPhone 5/5s had LTE or usable 3G.
    Last edited by veriztd; 02-28-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: thread edit
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    buy a cell phone amp and external antenna
    Any suggestions? I've looked on Amazon the ones I saw had so so reviews. :/

Quote Originally Posted by dcdeadbeat View Post
    The signal booster with an external amp might help. What is the signal ratio outside?
    The signal I get outside is worse! Haha! Now if I go to the end of my drive way ( long dirt road) things get a little better. I'll get 1.1Mbps and the dBm would go to -108 or 109.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    Your problem may be the Galaxy S4 itself. My friend's S4 had the ,,,,,,,, RF back in the day. His phone would be on No Service or 1x while my iPhone 5/5s had LTE or usable 3G.
    I thought about buying a new phone but I'm the kind if it ain't broke.....

My important top picks for a phone is removable battery and SD storage. I've yet to find any other phones that do so besides the S5
    Last edited by veriztd; 02-28-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Oh also I meant to add I do have wireless mobile amp I picked up from Maximum Signal. It doesn't work or at least I haven't noticed any improvement when I did.

The amp is 850/1900 MHz

Feedback Score
    WeBoost (formerly Wilson) makes the best externally mounted boosters. The problem is that even outside you are in a fringe area. If you remember the old saying "Garbage in, garbage out" then it applies to your situation. You might be trying to boost too weak of a signal.

I would try the Weboost Signal Booster. You can find it on Amazon. But make sure you can return it because I am not sure that will really help and it's going to be very expensive.

Can you not get any kind of broadband (FIOS, cable, etc.) at your house?

Quote Originally Posted by techdogs View Post
    Any suggestions? I've looked on Amazon the ones I saw had so so reviews. :/

The signal I get outside is worse! Haha! Now if I go to the end of my drive way ( long dirt road) things get a little better. I'll get 1.1Mbps and the dBm would go to -108 or 109.

Feedback Score
    WeBoost (formerly Wilson) makes the best externally mounted boosters. The problem is that even outside you are in a fringe area. If you remember the old saying "Garbage in, garbage out" then it applies to your situation. You might be trying to boost too weak of a signal.

I would try the Weboost Signal Booster. You can find it on Amazon. But make sure you can return it because I am not sure that will really help and it's going to be very expensive.

Can you not get any kind of broadband (FIOS, cable, etc.) at your house?

Very true. Ah well.

I WISH like I said I like in rural america. The only thing I get is either my phone or Satellite......

Feedback Score
    Hey I have well water and a septic system, but for some reason Verizon dug up and ran FIOS over an acre to bring it to my house. So you never know.

If you plan on continuing with Verizon for replacing broadband, you might also try a dedicated LTE router/hotspot instead of a phone. They have stronger radios versus a phone. But they are also going to cost money and I don't know if Verizon will allow you to use your UDP on it without paying more. They do if you are a business, but it is iffy if you are a customer.

Very true. Ah well.

I WISH like I said I like in rural america. The only thing I get is either my phone or Satellite......

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I apologize if this has been beat to the death, however I was wondering if anyone could suggest any tips on how to increase my service signal and network speed.

The run down:

I have unlimited data and use my phone as a hotspot. Phone is Galaxy S4.

I live in the sticks I get about on average 1 to 2 bars of LTE.

I get 0.13 to 0.50 Mbps download

I range from 41 to 2500 ping

dBm ranges -110 to -117

No matter what time of the day......

I went to Verizon and got a new sim card thinking maybe I needed a update. Yeah that didn't do anything. I don't need "fast" speed but recently I noticed its becoming painstakingly slow even for general browsing. No video or streaming at all.
    your best option is probably buying a different phone. you can get LG g2 for $80 to 100.
    Current carrier: Sprint (11/01/2017)
    Previous carriers: T-mobile & Verizon

Feedback Score
    Hey I have well water and a septic system, but for some reason Verizon dug up and ran FIOS over an acre to bring it to my house. So you never know.

If you plan on continuing with Verizon for replacing broadband, you might also try a dedicated LTE router/hotspot instead of a phone. They have stronger radios versus a phone. But they are also going to cost money and I don't know if Verizon will allow you to use your UDP on it without paying more. They do if you are a business, but it is iffy if you are a customer.
    Depends on where you live. Now if I drive 7 minutes up the street there is an ISP Comcast. However FIOS is nowhere near my area, I have to travel 40 to 50 miles up north if I want that luxury Plus there is no talk of expansion.

Funny I just brought a LTE router it was supposed to arrive last week but UPS delivered it to the wrong house, smh. I'm hoping I get it today. From what I read Verizon will not charge me more for using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Damasterjj View Post
    your best option is probably buying a different phone. you can get LG g2 for $80 to 100.
    I just looked at the LG g2 no removable sd slot.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Depends on where you live. Now if I drive 7 minutes up the street there is an ISP Comcast. However FIOS is nowhere near my area, I have to travel 40 to 50 miles up north if I want that luxury Plus there is no talk of expansion.

Funny I just brought a LTE router it was supposed to arrive last week but UPS delivered it to the wrong house, smh. I'm hoping I get it today. From what I read Verizon will not charge me more for using it.

I just looked at the LG g2 no removable sd slot.
    base storage is 32 GB though. how much do you need?

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    base storage is 32 GB though. how much do you need?
    I have 64 GB on my phone and planning to update again.

Also I'm curious why was a previous version of the G2 suggested compared to the newer models?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I have 64 GB on my phone and planning to update again.

Also I'm curious why was a previous version of the G2 suggested compared to the newer models?
    works as well as the newer models but is much cheaper. I agree with them too, as I bought one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast