Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why T-Mobile phones are more expensive? Ex Galaxy 7 and Edge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Except wrt technology. then it's worth a lot more. I'm with Jet1000 on this one. The flagship phones cost so much because people are willing to pay so much to have them. If people were less inclined to drop a bundle on their phones, the prices would come down. People need to ask themselves, are those "gee wiz" features really worth that much money?
    I suggest that the "golden" age came about ~1 year ago?

base line phone = enough CPU (800/801/805) + 2GB ram + decent camera/battery/ whatever

today's phones = 820 (64-bit, probably overkill), 4GB ram (overkill), dual camera (LG G5/...), not worth the extra $

I would like to see G4/S6/Z5/... drop down to $300 new.. and they will

Feedback Score
    The real reason to upgrade your phone these days is if you need a phone that covers ALL of the bands that your carrier uses in your area. More bands can equate to a better experience (at least in theory) since traffic can be transferred to bands with less traffic or more capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    I suggest that the "golden" age came about ~1 year ago?

base line phone = enough CPU (800/801/805) + 2GB ram + decent camera/battery/ whatever

today's phones = 820 (64-bit, probably overkill), 4GB ram (overkill), dual camera (LG G5/...), not worth the extra $

I would like to see G4/S6/Z5/... drop down to $300 new.. and they will

Feedback Score
    For any body that was buying phones ten years ago, a flagship was still 500 or better treos and windows mobile.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes but the perceived cost was $99 or $199 under contract, even though we all know that the phone's cost (subsidy) was spread out over the two years by a higher line charge.

Quote Originally Posted by damu7411 View Post
    For any body that was buying phones ten years ago, a flagship was still 500 or better treos and windows mobile.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The SPCS Guy View Post
    Just wait a minute, we're talking about a phone here.... $650+? Much more than the cost of a decent HDTV. This is out of control. There are hungry people in the USA. Yet we're programmed to keep sending our hard earned US Dollars out of the country...lol
    That's because consumer spending makes up 71% of the US economy.
    I don't know about everybody else, very few if anything I have purchased was manufactured the USA.
    Most of it comes from Mexico, China, Korea or Japan or to a lesser extent Canada so whatever I buy gets converted to Pesos, ¥, 円 , 원 or Canadian dollars and the rest remains as US dollars. Out of the few foreign countries I listed, there are only a few I care for and do not mind sending my hard earned money to.

Buying a $650+ smartphone is no different from people buying a Mercedes Benz, Porsche or Maserati.
    All these things have the "geez whiz" factor, but at least having the latest smartphone allows me to utilize the latest generation of wireless networks that I'm paying for. I pay the same bill, regardless if I use the latest generation of network or not.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 02-23-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdeadbeat View Post
    The real reason to upgrade your phone these days is if you need a phone that covers ALL of the bands that your carrier uses in your area. More bands can equate to a better experience (at least in theory) since traffic can be transferred to bands with less traffic or more capacity.
    it matters more for T-mobile (new band = 12 = lower frequency = better coverage/building penetration)

less important for Verizon/ATT

ATT: new band 30 is for density/throughput... if new phones get shifted over to band 30, your older phone benefits with less congestion
    Verizon: newish band 5 for more spectrum... again, new phones shifts over to band 5, older phone benefits with less congestion

AWS-3 (band 66) hasn't come out yet... doubt any of these new phones support it

yay, time to upgrade to S8 next year with AWS-3 support!!! then 600mhz ?2? years after it... never ending

Feedback Score
    You also forgot that at some point you will want a phone with DSRC so that will be another upgrade. Otherwise all those autonomous vehicles might run you over while you are crossing the street.

yay, time to upgrade to S8 next year with AWS-3 support!!! then 600mhz ?2? years after it... never ending

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Except wrt technology. then it's worth a lot more. I'm with Jet1000 on this one. The flagship phones cost so much because people are willing to pay so much to have them. If people were less inclined to drop a bundle on their phones, the prices would come down. People need to ask themselves, are those "gee wiz" features really worth that much money?
    Not necessarily. Phones available would cost less in order to adjust to the market, but they wouldn't necessarily be the same phones we have today. For example, you can get anything from a Toyota to a Lada to a BMW, but if people stop buying (or can't afford to buy) BMW's the market will supply a cheaper car, but the cost of a BMW wouldn't go down. Obviously this isn't a perfect example because technology might have a 30% markup and a car might have a 15% markup, so a phone might be able to come down in price while still covering the necessary expenses.

Having said that, flagship phones were selling around $500- $600 about 7-10 years ago, so $650 today seems comparatively cheap.

In my case, the answer is an astounding yes. My phone doubles as my iPod, and I lost my last iPod, so it was cheaper to spend $750 than $900 on an iPod and a phone. I bought mine used, so I paid much less than $750, but that is what the newer version of my phone is selling for and what I would have been willing to spend.

For other people that have their phone double as a tablet I can imagine a similar situation at hand.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm good until 600 starts to be deployed.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The SPCS Guy View Post
    Just wait a minute, we're talking about a phone here.... $650+? Much more than the cost of a decent HDTV. This is out of control. There are hungry people in the USA. Yet we're programmed to keep sending our hard earned US Dollars out of the country...lol

I remember when a Flagship used to cost $249.99-$299.99. These Korean and Asian companies have found out something ....
    ...umm, except back in 1997 when the digital Motorola StarTac was $850.

...or in 2003 when the Hitachi G1000 Windows Mobile smartphone was $650

...or in 2005 when the Treo was $600.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    That's because consumer spending makes up 71% of the US economy.
    I don't know about everybody else, very few if anything I have purchased was manufactured the USA.
    Most of it comes from Mexico, China, Korea or Japan or to a lesser extent Canada so whatever I buy gets converted to Pesos, ¥, 円 , 원 or Canadian dollars and the rest remains as US dollars. Out of the few foreign countries I listed, there are only a few I care for and do not mind sending my hard earned money to.

Buying a $650+ smartphone is no different from people buying a Mercedes Benz, Porsche or Maserati.
    All these things have the "geez whiz" factor, but at least having the latest smartphone allows me to utilize the latest generation of wireless networks that I'm paying for. I pay the same bill, regardless if I use the latest generation of network or not.
    Shhh...
    Some Samsung products are made in Vietnam.
    A hint: if you want a last year model with B12, get G4 or Note 4. Both are cheaper now.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildhope View Post
    T-Mobile Galaxy S7 edge cost $144 more than AT&T....and I know T-Mobile is giving away Netflix for 1 year...but still. Seems to be the Netflix "giveaway" is built right into the price of the phone.

All are the 32GB version.

Verizon
    Unknown yet

AT&T
    Galaxy S7 $23.17 per month or $556 and change outright. Galaxy S7 Edge is $26.50 per month ($636 outright)

T-Mobile
    Galaxy S7 $27.92 for 23 months + $27.83 for the 24th month; FRP: $669.99. Galaxy S7 edge will be 32.50 for 23 months + $32.49 for the 24th month; FRP: $779.99.

Sprint
    $27.09 a month for the Galaxy S7 ($650) or $31.25 for the S7 Edge ($750)
    Interestingly, most of T-Mobile version Android phones can be rooted (H901 is bootloader unlocked) while ATT and VZW counterparts are locked tightly.

Feedback Score
    Back in the day those $199 phones were subsidized under contract. They also were far less powerful. Anyone know if the S7 is available under the BOGO promotion?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Verizon 672.00

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Cricket and metro PCs 649.99