Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Hotspot/Tethering, time to leave for freedom?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cricket Hotspot/Tethering, time to leave for freedom?

Is anyone using their phone's Personal Hotspot on Cricket?

They have an add-on option users can buy for this, but I didn't see the wording forbidding its use under their terms of use.
    Cricket terms of use

Comments please.
    Last edited by Edward2; 02-21-2016 at 11:34 PM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    See this link referenced in the Wireless Service Agreement:
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/lega...tml#acceptable
    Refer to these specific sections in that link:

Prohibited Data Uses

Cricket's data services are not intended to be used in any manner which has any of the following effects and such use is prohibited if in Cricket's sole discretion it: (a) conflicts with applicable law; (b) hinders other customers' access to the wireless network; (c) compromises network security or capacity; (d) excessively and disproportionately contributes to network congestion; (e) adversely impacts network service levels or legitimate data flows; (f) degrades network performance; (g) causes harm to the network or other customers; (h) is resold either alone or as part of any other good or service; (i) tethers a wireless device to a computing device (such as a computer, Smartphone, eBook or eReader, media player, laptop, or other devices with similar functions) through use of connection kits, applications, devices or accessories (using wired or wireless technology) and you have not subscribed to a specific data plan designed for this purpose; (j) there is a specific data plan required for a particular use and you have not subscribed to that plan; (k) activating a device on a service plan not intended for its use (e.g., activating a 4G device on a service plan intended for 4G LTE devices) or (l) such usage is excessive or unreasonable.

In addition to any other actions Cricket may take for violations of this AUP, if in our sole discretion we reasonably believe that you are using Cricket's data services in any manner that is prohibited, then we may without advance notice: (a) reduce your data throughput speeds; (b) restrict, interrupt or terminate any data session; (c) suspend, cancel or terminate your data services; (d) terminate your account; (e) move you to a more appropriate service plan with increased data or high speed data access allowances; and/or (f) decline to renew your wireless service.

Examples of Prohibited Data Uses

Cricket's data services may not be used in any manner that defeats, obstructs or penetrates, or attempts to defeat, obstruct or penetrate the security measures of our wireless network or systems, or another entity's network or systems; that accesses, or attempts to access without authority, the accounts of others; or that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use Cricket's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources. For example, this includes, but is not limited to, malicious software or "malware" that is designed, intentionally or unintentionally, to infiltrate a network or computer system such as spyware, worms, Trojan horses, rootkits, and/or crimeware; "denial of service" attacks against a network host or individual user; and "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email).

Cricket's data services may not be used in any manner that has the effect of excessively contributing to network congestion, hindering other customers' access to the network, or degrading network performance by maintaining a sustained or continuous wireless data service connection or active wireless Internet connection. For example, this includes, but is not limited to, server devices or host computer applications such as continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, or automated machine-to-machine connections; "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines that generate excessive amounts of traffic or that disrupt user groups or email use by others; use of data services as a substitute or backup for private lines or full-time or dedicated data connections; peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing services; and software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions.

Cricket's data services may not be used with high bandwidth applications, services and content not optimized to work with Cricket's wireless data services and, therefore disproportionately and excessively contribute to network congestion. This includes, but is not limited to, redirecting television signals for viewing on computing devices, web broadcasting, and/or the operation of servers, telemetry devices, or supervisory control and data acquisition devices.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Cricket Hotspot/Tethering, No mention in their Terms Of Use. So...

But wouldn't using the hotspot legally violate some of these terms? I'm sure as long as you're not using it as a server connection, dedicated data line, for P2P connection, etc.. I doubt they'll say anything.

I think k would use a VPN myself for all my usage since it's going through their proxy.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If one purchases the plans designated for its use, one is in compliance when uisng the permitted services. One might pay more for a Virtual Private Network connection than the $10 Cricket charges for a hotspot. One cannot hide the amount of data used, so one's data speed would be reduced when you reach the high data speed limit regardless whether the carrier can see where you connect.
    Last edited by efparri; 02-21-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward2 View Post
    Is anyone using their phone's Personal Hotspot on Cricket?

They have an add-on option users can buy for this, but there is no wording forbidding its use under their terms of use.

Comments please.
    How much are you planning to use? I've read some have been using phones as hot spot, but I would venture they don't use it too much to stay under the radar.

If you are planning to use a lot, then there is the $10 hot spot add-on you can get.

Cricket is awesome as a service, let's not be too conniving and get them to crack down on abusive users. It would ruin this for all of us if they have to treat us like little kids.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Looks like "HansCT" is back.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I've been tethering since day one on Cricket using jailbroken iPhone with MyWi and tetherme with no issues.
    Won't stop till they cut me off.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    How much are you planning to use? I've read some have been using phones as hot spot, but I would venture they don't use it too much to stay under the radar.

If you are planning to use a lot, then there is the $10 hot spot add-on you can get.

Cricket is awesome as a service, let's not be too conniving and get them to crack down on abusive users. It would ruin this for all of us if they have to treat us like little kids.
    I've never really understood how using data I pay for is considered abuse. Data is data. If I'm within the allowance that I pay for, why on earth should a carrier -- not just Cricket, any of them -- care and/or be able to enforce my ability to consume that data. My using it via phone, tablet, tethered computer, whatever, shouldn't matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    I've never really understood how using data I pay for is considered abuse. Data is data. If I'm within the allowance that I pay for, why on earth should a carrier -- not just Cricket, any of them -- care and/or be able to enforce my ability to consume that data. My using it via phone, tablet, tethered computer, whatever, shouldn't matter.
    They typically know how much you are going to, and can, use on a phone. While it's true a GB is a GB, they count on the average person using X, but allowing tethering increases X to Y.

Most let you tether to your hearts content on a limited data plan, but most also charge more than Cricket when someone is on a group plan.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't plan to use much data or often at all, possibly 10-30 meg, every few months, maybe 5-7 times year.

I've used this off & on for over a year on my good old Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus, or Note. But my current phone (iPhone 6) hides the native Personal Hotspot thanks to the carrier's APN config file.

So I'm looking at Moving to T-Mobile, Metro PCS, since jailbreaking an iOS isn't reliable..
    Last edited by Edward2; 02-22-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    Its not your data....what you are paying for is access to their data, which access they can restrict whichever way they feel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Its not your data....what you are paying for is access to their data, which access they can restrict whichever way they feel.
    Exactly. One can argue the tethering thing to death. It's discussed ad nauseum on all carriers... often on RingPlus where even on a free service people beach and complain about this.

OP - if your'e so unhappy go find a carrier/service that will give you tethering as you wish. I've been around the block or two, and grass is not greener on the other side. You either pay a lot more (Verizon / ATT), or put up with limited coverage area (t-mobile), or slow network (sprint). Good luck.

PS - what's wrong with paying Cricket $10 for the hot-spot option if it is such a hot item for you? And why don't you try GoPhone which has hot-spot available to use? And people here have claimed to tether with 3rd party hardware without issues. Why don't you try that?

Feedback Score
    I'll ignore the philosophical discussion and just contribute another data point from personal experience. We've had Cricket service since the first month it was launched as Aio. We routinely tether on average ~20% of the monthly data allotment. I don't know what will happen in the future, but to date, it's never been a problem.

Feedback Score
    Its so silly to see people defend these companies, you're seriously part of the problem.

I've tethered on all the carriers, they will never enforce the TOS regarding tethering because it means a lawsuit for them. Seriously, tether away, there are no repercussions despite the TOS warnings. In fact, everyone should tether just a little bit so they see demand for it and drop the silly policy.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Any
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Backwards there.

Even so, when you have limited data throughput on a phone, it kinda crazy to get charged for the exact same data access AGAIN via the SAME device.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast