Thread: Would AT&T extend expiration without a payment?

Feedback Score

Would AT&T extend expiration without a payment?

I was in another thread recently where someone told me that I should try calling AT&T and "beg" them to simply extend my expiration period, and that people have done that before. I can't find that post, so I can't make reference to it here. My situation is that I have around $140 on my account using the 10 cents per minute plan and my expiration is less than 2 weeks from now. It seems a shame to keep adding money when I don't need to raise my balance. All I need is more time to use up my balance. I normally just add $100 every year, and always have a surplus left over--which gets bigger each year.

Has anyone else here ever heard of simply asking AT&T to extend their expiration date by a year? Do they actually do favors like that? Is there any particular method the customer should use to make such a request successful?

I have less than 2 weeks to do what I need to do, but only 3 days to buy airtime (if needed) if I want to take advantage of the latest Callingmart 10% discount.

Feedback Score
    can't you add a smaller amount card ?? like a $10 refill card.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    I was in another thread recently where someone told me that I should try calling AT&T and "beg" them to simply extend my expiration period, and that people have done that before. I can't find that post, so I can't make reference to it here.
    Is there any particular method the customer should use to make such a request successful?
    Here is the post.
    Last question: Grovel sufficiently.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5#post16386285

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >Would AT&T extend expiration without a payment?
    >I was in another thread recently where someone told me that I
    >should try calling AT&T and "beg" them to simply extend my
    >expiration period, and that people have done that before.

I've made posts like that. Both ATT and Virgin Mobile have offered me 6-month extensions - for free. Typically I have to go to customer service for something and the rep notices my balance and offers me the deal.

The last post was for someone on ATT with a $470 balance. I suggested calling customer service and trying to buy a years service ... it won't go through and I think the rep will offer the extension. $25 would give him three months to figure out something.

I don't worry about the balance - I paid for a year, I got a year. As a cell phone hobbiest I only use a few minutes on each phone and after 10 years my balances (plural) have grown. The roll-over minutes are a lot like "unlimited" minutes.

I got an ATT ZTE Mavin to play with and I notice the GPS functionality costs $9.99 a month (after a free trial) and that would keep me under the limit. So far I haven't seen a cellphone GPS app that pleases me.

Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone else here ever heard of simply asking AT&T to extend their expiration date by a year? Do they actually do favors like that? Is there any particular method the customer should use to make such a request successful?
    I've heard of people getting the expiration date extended but in cases where the balance is almost to the max limit. That's not your case. I'd call and ask anyway. Offer to buy and add $25 for 1-year extension to sweeten your request. Who knows, you may get lucky. Otherwise I'd add $25 so I have 90 days to decide what to do , but if you are planning to keep the account in that plan for the long term, just add $100.

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    can't you add a smaller amount card ?? like a $10 refill card.
    A better cost/expiration-days option would be to add $25 (90 days). It'd be the equivalent of $8.33/month instead of $10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Here is the post.
    Last question: Grovel sufficiently.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5#post16386285
    Ah yes! It was you who told me that, so I guess I have you to thank for it. Well, I actually called them last night and was successful. It didn't take much groveling, but it might depend on the customer service rep you talk to. She said that since I still had over $100 in balance and my renewal date was in just a couple weeks, that she could give me a one-time courtesy extension of a year.

The reason I called right away is because I just got an email from Callingmart with a 10% code, but it was going to expire after only a few days, so I had to either get an extension on my expiration or buy my minutes right away.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Thanks for reporting this.

Ah yes! It was you who told me that, so I guess I have you to thank for it. Well, I actually called them last night and was successful. It didn't take much groveling, but it might depend on the customer service rep you talk to. She said that since I still had over $100 in balance and my renewal date was in just a couple weeks, that she could give me a one-time courtesy extension of a year.
    This is good to hear.

And yes about the CSR that you would talk to. Almost every cell phone company has CSRs that can be more accommodating than the first one you talk to.

Also, perhaps you can make an effort to use more minutes so that next year this will not be an issue?

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    i have gotten extensions 3 times when my time was about to expire and i had the money on my account to keep going. hell i even got an extension on my bill after i told em i was going to verizon because they could not provide me service. i was nice with the lady and explained the situation and she was sad but understood after i told her that i wanted to use up all of my credit on my account. needless to say things came up and i never did relocate. but gophone has treated me excellent!!

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    This is good to hear.

And yes about the CSR that you would talk to. Almost every cell phone company has CSRs that can be more accommodating than the first one you talk to.

Also, perhaps you can make an effort to use more minutes so that next year this will not be an issue?
    some of them are just unbearable and you have to play russian roulette with them and get some csr torchure

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    wonders how the OP made out on this?? personaly i have never had any problems with them upping my expiration dates

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_stud View Post
    wonders how the OP made out on this?? personaly i have never had any problems with them upping my expiration dates
    Success post #6.

With TM I've missed exp date of GR at least twice. They've kindly restored my balance when I added $10 every time.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    thats good to hear!! i never missed my exp date and they updated my exp date to a later one without asking me to add funds. so it is possable