Thread: Wifi calling on unlocked iPhone 6?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Wifi calling on unlocked iPhone 6?

Hello I have searched this forum and google but was not able to find a answer. I recently ported into Rogers from bell. I unlocked my bell iPhone 6 in order to make the switch. I am currently having trouble getting wifi calling to work. It is activated in settings and I am in the basement of my house where there is no service but it will not work. I have spoken to Rogers customer service aswell as Apple customer service. Still no success. So my questions is, does wifi calling work on unlocked devices??? Thanks for your help in advance.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Yes, despite what Rogers says, it will work just fine on an unlocked or non-Rogers purchased iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick response. Is there anything special I have to do? It is activated in settings with a 911 address entered in.

Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an iPhone 6S plus locked to Rogers and a 6 Plus factory unlocked. Wifi calling works perfectly fine on my 6S that is locked to Rogers but has never worked on my factory unlocked 6 Plus despite how much I tried.

Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Upon further research I found out that only iPhones that were bought from Rogers or Fido will work with wifi calling. iPhones bought from other carriers or even Apple Store even though factory unlocked will not work.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    This is not true. My Apple purchased 'T-Mobile' iPhone works fine on Fido WiFi.

Device(s)
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    Not true!! I bought my 6S Plus from Apple and wifi calling is working great.
    I have a 6 plus also bought from Apple but didn't try to see if wifi calling is working...

Sent from my iPhone 6s plus

Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by big samm View Post
    Not true!! I bought my 6S Plus from Apple and wifi calling is working great.
    I have a 6 plus also bought from Apple but didn't try to see if wifi calling is working...

Sent from my iPhone 6s plus
    Please check and update if possible thanks!!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    We have 3 Apple factory unlocked iPhones and all 3 work perfectly with WiFi calling.

Feedback Score
    Whether it's from another carrier or from the apple store, it will work with wifi calling provided you have the latest carrier update. Of course if it's from another carrier it just needs to be unlocked. It seems like some of the carriers are just using the whole "It has to be from us" as an excuse..

Probably due to the fact that they want you to get locked into a 2 year contract with a $80+ dollar plan..

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO for Canada
    Feedback Score
    It works.
    Your solution is to call in and have them manually add the IMEI to your profile. That should fix things. That's what I had to do (even thought they insisted that a nonnrogers phone absolutely won't work with wifi calling; as soon as they added the IMEI boom it worked.)

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6+
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 phones that were purchased directly from Apple. Both are unlocked and are working fine with wifi calling. I did not need to call in to Rogers to add anything. Make sure that you have a qualified plan and running the latest IOS. Once it it turned on in settings your address will need to be added. I do find that it will not work in 2 buildings that I work because their Wifi is filtered with one of those restricted Vpn.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeiphone View Post
    Upon further research I found out that only iPhones that were bought from Rogers or Fido will work with wifi calling. iPhones bought from other carriers or even Apple Store even though factory unlocked will not work.
    lol I purchased my iPhone 6S Plus from Apple Store on launch day factory unlocked and its working perfectly fine with since launch of WiF-Calling + VoLTE -- I rarely drop to 3G as I live and travel in a strong LTE area on my day to day life.

I never had to call Rogers, my WiFi-Calling initially had a issue with activating but that was because Rogers WiFi-Calling launch was poorly executed.

They did on every forum give the same non-sense about "not officially sold by rogers" and having worked in the tech industry for 3 years and doing plenty of research I can 110% assure that every iPhone is 100% identical since launch of 5C/5S except the minor LTE bands / CDMA inclusions in few specific models for USA/Japan/China markets and that too is being phased out as Apple is making the devices more and more universal with the 6S/6S+ being the MOST universal device made by Apple to date and I won't be surprised if they launch iPhone 7 with only 2 models (4.7" and 5.5" with ALL in one CDMA + ALL LTE BANDS + GSM)

Basically the rogers / fido reps have been feeding people non-sense just to get them off their back for the poor launch of WiFi-Calling and even VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    no luck so far unfortunately. i spoke with rogers and they made a trouble ticket and passed it up to the second level.