Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are smartphones more trouble than flip phones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by resurgamadvent View Post
    If that's the case, I would suggest going with H2O Wireless on the AT&T network. Minutes and SMS cost 5 cents each. MMS and 1 MB cost 10 cents each. The $100 refill gets you 2,000 SMS/minutes or 1,000 MMS/MB. The $100 refill lasts for 1 year and cost $90 with autopay though I think you receive the discount on the second refill, not the first.

If you don't want to accidentally waste your data, you can turn off mobile data through your smartphone's settings. It can be "Settings"-->"Connections"--" Data Usage"--"Mobile Data"
    Just to make sure I understand you correctly--You're saying I can use the Maven (or other "Smart" phone with a per-minute plan? I never heard of H20 Wireless before, but I just looked it up and it looks great! https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainC...p?page=planMin Can I actually use this on a per minute basis with the Maven? Right now, I have a Go-phone and using the per-minute plan with that and have over $150 in credit on it, and is due for renewal on Feb 23. Since AT&T owns both Go-phone and H20, do you think AT&T would transfer my current credit over to an H20 plan on the Maven from my current plan and phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    Just to make sure I understand you correctly--You're saying I can use the Maven (or other "Smart" phone with a per-minute plan? I never heard of H20 Wireless before, but I just looked it up and it looks great! https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainC...p?page=planMin Can I actually use this on a per minute basis with the Maven? Right now, I have a Go-phone and using the per-minute plan with that and have over $150 in credit on it, and is due for renewal on Feb 23. Since AT&T owns both Go-phone and H20, do you think AT&T would transfer my current credit over to an H20 plan on the Maven from my current plan and phone?
    H2O is owned by Locus not AT&T. Balance transfer seems unlikely. Can you use your Gophone balance to buy a new phone or something?

Tracfone is another option that uses the AT&T network. The monthly service cost is about the same as H2O. The voice/text/data cost is similar or less than H2O depending on how you buy them and they don't expire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    H2O is owned by Locus not AT&T. Balance transfer seems unlikely. Can you use your Gophone balance to buy a new phone or something?
    I guess you're right about H20. I don't know why I thought it was owned by AT&T.

Can my GoPhone balance actually be used to buy a new phone??? I didn't know that was even possible.

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What here says you can't do data on the Pay Per Use for smartphones. It's $0.001/5KB

Name:  1-29-2016 6-44-46 AM.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  72.2 KB
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post
    What here says you can't do data on the Pay Per Use for smartphones. It's $0.001/5KB

Name:  1-29-2016 6-44-46 AM.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  72.2 KB
    I was going by what OneDirection told me in Post #18 (page 2) of this thread. I thought someone had told me the same thing some time in the past that the smartphones in the GoPhone category couldn't be used with the per-minute plan. Maybe there was an assumption that you'd need a data plan to do data on the phone, or that the airtime would get used up real quick if data was used without Wi-fi. But my plan was to use the phone as a phone most of the time, with the occasional use of internet type stuff when I have access to Wi-fi.

Feedback Score
    I was going by what OneDirection told me in Post #18 (page 2) of this thread. I thought someone had told me the same thing some time in the past that the smartphones in the GoPhone category couldn't be used with the per-minute plan. Maybe there was an assumption that you'd need a data plan to do data on the phone, or that the airtime would get used up real quick if data was used without Wi-fi. But my plan was to use the phone as a phone most of the time, with the occasional use of internet type stuff when I have access to Wi-fi.
    When I access my account through paygonline.com, I have the ability to change my rate plan to the 25 cent plan. It used to be that you weren't able to apply a pay as you go plan to a smartphone because AT&T would detect the smartphone and require you to switch.

Now it says on my account:

Wi-Fi Data Only for Smartphones. Pay Per Use rate of 1˘ / 5 KB for Basic/Messaging Phones only
    So, you can't purchase a data package with the pay as you go plan on a smartphone. You can only use WiFi.

It also states on my account under that option:

As a smartphone user, your data is restricted to Wi-Fi data only.
    Last edited by resurgamadvent; 01-29-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Clarity

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You're better off getting a different phone. From my understanding you may have never used a smartphone before. Anyway, once you get a smartphone you're probably going to be a little adventurous with it because you can have free useful apps now and more functionality. There are a few problems with that Maven phone that would make you consider it a dumb phone, not a smart phone. First of all, it only has 3GB of usable storage. (That's what AT&T says at least). That's only good for 10-20 apps. Trust me, the storage use adds up fast. The screen resolution is VERY low (Lot's of pixelation).

The phone seems to have an OK camera, but pretty bad battery life.

You're better off getting a Moto E.

The Moto E is a tad bit more expensive, but here are the upsides about it.
    Longer battery life
    Somewhat better screen resolution
    Same screen size while being a slightly smaller phone overall
    Better Camera
    Newer version of Android
    Water/scratch resistance
    Better speaker
    More LTE bands

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by resurgamadvent View Post
    When I access my account through paygonline.com, I have the ability to change my rate plan to the 25 cent plan. It used to be that you weren't able to apply a pay as you go plan to a smartphone because AT&T would detect the smartphone and require you to switch.

Now it says on my account:

So, you can't purchase a data package with the pay as you go plan on a smartphone. You can only use WiFi.

It also states on my account under that option:
    Thank you! This information is very interesting! It appears that a smartphone of some type might be in the cards for me after all. I still have till the end of the year to decide on which one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    You're better off getting a different phone. From my understanding you may have never used a smartphone before. Anyway, once you get a smartphone you're probably going to be a little adventurous with it because you can have free useful apps now and more functionality. There are a few problems with that Maven phone that would make you consider it a dumb phone, not a smart phone. First of all, it only has 3GB of usable storage. (That's what AT&T says at least). That's only good for 10-20 apps. Trust me, the storage use adds up fast. The screen resolution is VERY low (Lot's of pixelation).

The phone seems to have an OK camera, but pretty bad battery life.

You're better off getting a Moto E.

The Moto E is a tad bit more expensive, but here are the upsides about it.
    Longer battery life
    Somewhat better screen resolution
    Same screen size while being a slightly smaller phone overall
    Better Camera
    Newer version of Android
    Water/scratch resistance
    Better speaker
    More LTE bands
    The Maven's battery life is advertised at 2 weeks on standby, which is 4 days better than my current flip phone. Not bad! But even if I want to spend only $30, the technology at that price will no doubt be even more improved by the end of this year when I have no choice but switch phones from what I have.

with your girlfriend! up in the New Mexico mountains where the cougars run free and are covered with snow! Breathe the FRESH AIR, there!
    Device(s)
    Do, Help me get my little girl off the phone! She talks too much causing her mommy a lot of money!
    Carrier(s)
    BYOP works the best! HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ABLE TO USE TRACFONE ON ALL CARRIERS LIKE HSN claims?
    Feedback Score
    a107,
    If you buy a cheap Tracfone that has a G behind the model, most of the time the SIM card is for AT&T but you can call Tracfone and request an AT&T SIM card for your phone and then Activate the Tracfone that has the same size SIM as the z222 or get a SIM adapter that you can put the smaller size to go into your z222 and transfer the SIM to the z222 Gophone and you can get triple minutes with Tracfone instead of one of Tracfone's flip phone offerings that only give you double minutes.

What i am saying is find the cheapest smartphone on tracfone and do the above thing! you will have the smartphone for backup to the z222 if ever needed. I have done this for a relative and made sure they got two of the z222s since they were less than $8 at www.bestbuy.com and basically cheated Tracfone out of swindling there flip phone customers only giving 2x the minutes compared to 3x! Later on when you want to transfer to another GOPhone you can swap the SIM to any GOPHONE and use on the Tracfone network! Tracfone is for people who don't talk a lot on their phones. Tracfone's sister companies can be used this same way and they are in order of how much you talk from less to most:

Tracfone, Net10, Total Wireless, Straighttalk. Plans are different so you need to check out each companies website for details! If with Tracfone you minutes could cost as less as $7 a month and what Tracfone does is give you equal buckets of minutes/texts/mb of data for internet when you purchase for a smartphone for the info above i was telling you to do. The other 3 companies of Tracfone is more like plans instead of time!!! Ask more ?s if you like. There is a Tracfone forum on here and you can google turk forums and they provide info for Tracfone, Net10 and Straighttalk as well! May God bless!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Haven't read the whole thread but just don't do banking and you'll have nothing to worry about on your phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Maven's battery life is advertised at 2 weeks on standby, which is 4 days better than my current flip phone. Not bad! But even if I want to spend only $30, the technology at that price will no doubt be even more improved by the end of this year when I have no choice but switch phones from what I have.
    You may be right about the technology part, however those standby times are a lie just so you know. If you have a brand new phone and you have no apps other than stock apps, and have nothing running, and have nothing signed in, and have no data services enabled, then yes, your phone will last 2 weeks. If you actually use the phone like a normal person you'll actually get a few 3-5 days standby with all services enabled.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by One Direction View Post
    I think smartphones have to be on the $45 plan with 2GB of data minimum but i'm not positive, if it can be used on the minutes plan I think it's like 1 cent per 5KB which isn't much.

EDIT: the minimun that smartphones have to be on is the $30 unl talk and text with 100 MB optional plan https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pl...figurator.html
    a smart phone does not have to be on the 45.00 a month plan i was on the 30.00 a month plan and just used wifi untill i realized that my phone was boring and that most wifi hot spots are locked and i did not buy a data package either

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oooookay. Well, I currently have the Samsung a107 flip phone and am told that it will be obsolete after December. I have seen my options as being either move up to a 3G flip phone like the Z222 or go to a smartphone like the ZTE Maven. I really would like the Maven. But I also want to stay on the 10 cents per minute plan (I know it's now 25 cents for new customers). So are you saying that if I want to stay on the per-minute plan, I have no option but to get another flip phone? Please say it ain't so!
    you should be able to stay on the 10 cent a minute plan. though i would ask the store. and if you don't use the internet then you can have att put a block on it!! all your really doing is swapping out equipment

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >you should be able to stay on the 10 cent a minute plan. though i would ask the store.
    >and if you don't use the internet then you can have att put a block on it!!
    >all your really doing is swapping out equipment

I switched from a Nokia 2610 to a ZTE Mavin and the 10-cent plan transfered over no problem. I find open hotspots all over the place. Stores like WalMart and Target, city transit buses, restaurants, libraries, car repair shops, fast food, It is true I can find places with 20-25 hotspots and all of them locked. I just move on.
    Regards, FJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast