Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are smartphones more trouble than flip phones?

Feedback Score

Are smartphones more trouble than flip phones?

I currently have a Samsung a107, which is a flip phone that I use with the 10 cent per minute prepaid plan (I just heard a couple minutes ago that it's going up to 25 cents now) and it's been a solid performer. It should be, since I paid a whopping $5 for it about 3 years ago!

Well, now AT&T is dumping 2G, making my phone obsolete at the end of the year, so I have to upgrade. I could get another flip phone like the Z222, but I've had my eye on the ZTE Maven for quite awhile as my "dream phone". I like it when it was $60, and I like it even more now that it's $30. It's a smartphone, so it's quite different which concerns me. Here's why:

Smartphones seem to be much like computers. They use software, can get viruses, need updating, and can crash. Flip phones aren't like that. They simply work! Sure, they don't have the same features, but they're still a phone. Maybe I don't know enough about them. Are they similar to a computer in that they need to be shut down often to keep them stable? Do they need an antivirus program that needs updating to keep them safe? Do they slow down from adware and malware being installed on them?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    I currently have a Samsung a107, which is a flip phone that I use with the 10 cent per minute prepaid plan (I just heard a couple minutes ago that it's going up to 25 cents now) and it's been a solid performer. It should be, since I paid a whopping $5 for it about 3 years ago!

Well, now AT&T is dumping 2G, making my phone obsolete at the end of the year, so I have to upgrade. I could get another flip phone like the Z222, but I've had my eye on the ZTE Maven for quite awhile as my "dream phone". I like it when it was $60, and I like it even more now that it's $30. It's a smartphone, so it's quite different which concerns me. Here's why:

Smartphones seem to be much like computers. They use software, can get viruses, need updating, and can crash. Flip phones aren't like that. They simply work! Sure, they don't have the same features, but they're still a phone. Maybe I don't know enough about them. Are they similar to a computer in that they need to be shut down often to keep them stable? Do they need an antivirus program that needs updating to keep them safe? Do they slow down from adware and malware being installed on them?
    Don't be afraid! Some 2 Billion people have already joined the smartphone revolution so you know it's worth dumping the flip phone. You are obviously tech savvy enough that you signed up and joined this forum so you'll do fine. Smartphones are no where near the complexity of computers. Yes, they can and will have some issues from time to time but choose a good phone and you'll be fine.

Personally, I could never go back to a flip phone. Having a personal pc in the palm of my hand with all the info within a click is too powerful and convenient to give up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    Don't be afraid! Some 2 Billion people have already joined the smartphone revolution so you know it's worth dumping the flip phone. You are obviously tech savvy enough that you signed up and joined this forum so you'll do fine. Smartphones are no where near the complexity of computers. Yes, they can and will have some issues from time to time but choose a good phone and you'll be fine.

Personally, I could never go back to a flip phone. Having a personal pc in the palm of my hand with all the info within a click is too powerful and convenient to give up
    Yeah, that's why I'm considering it. Also, the ZTE Maven I was eyeing at Best buy is half the price of when I originally discovered it. But then when I looked up reviews of it, people were writing things that reminded me of problems my computer has sometimes. Here's an example:

"Worse phone i ever owned 11/24/2015
    Customer review by Mitika
    1.0 stars by Mitika
    It comes with 8gig of memory, but it is overdosed with apps that uses all the available memory.. after only two months its running slow because its running out of memory!!
    One thing you should know, I have not downloaded apps, music, streamed any video, watched youtube or movies.. i have not played any games that require 'space'... its at the point its running slow just trying to update!!!
    I also have a sd card with tons of room but not much can go there..
    It freezes and the voice recognition stinks.. and does not understand NO... it just goes and calls who it thinks you want.. I am in Arkansas and if it were possible to throw that hard i would send it to the depths of the pacific ocean!!! Horrible phone...
    I thought maybe i was doing something wrong and went to the ATT store and after a few minutes he concluded i was running out of memory! Really! In my exasperation I say that outloud... REALLY wasnt that the reason for my visit? He says well maybe you want to upgrade to a better phone with more memory? I am like 'no' this one is less than two months old!!! done with this phone and with ATT"

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/44465710

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post

Yeah, that's why I'm considering it. Also, the ZTE Maven I was eyeing at Best buy is half the price of when I originally discovered it. But then when I looked up reviews of it, people were writing things that reminded me of problems my computer has sometimes. Here's an example:

"Worse phone i ever owned 11/24/2015
    Customer review by Mitika
    1.0 stars by Mitika
    It comes with 8gig of memory, but it is overdosed with apps that uses all the available memory.. after only two months its running slow because its running out of memory!!
    One thing you should know, I have not downloaded apps, music, streamed any video, watched youtube or movies.. i have not played any games that require 'space'... its at the point its running slow just trying to update!!!
    I also have a sd card with tons of room but not much can go there..
    It freezes and the voice recognition stinks.. and does not understand NO... it just goes and calls who it thinks you want.. I am in Arkansas and if it were possible to throw that hard i would send it to the depths of the pacific ocean!!! Horrible phone...
    I thought maybe i was doing something wrong and went to the ATT store and after a few minutes he concluded i was running out of memory! Really! In my exasperation I say that outloud... REALLY wasnt that the reason for my visit? He says well maybe you want to upgrade to a better phone with more memory? I am like 'no' this one is less than two months old!!! done with this phone and with ATT"

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/44465710

Feedback Score
    Yes, smartphone are more "trouble." Most people feel the benefits of a smartphone outweigh the disadvantages, but they do cost more, require more effort to maintain, and potentially can expose you to viruses, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    Yes, smartphone are more "trouble." Most people feel the benefits of a smartphone outweigh the disadvantages, but they do cost more, require more effort to maintain, and potentially can expose you to viruses, etc.
    Are there antivirus/antimalware programs that can run on smartphones so those problems can be solved?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    People need to have realistic expectations when buying a $30 smartphone. Especially these "budget" type android phones.

As long as you keep on top of updates you won't have to worry about viruses or malware. I've never once had any of those issues.

I let my 6 yr old daughter use an iPad Air 2 (basically a large iphone) and she has zero problems with it. No worries of viruses, malware, adware, crashing, etc. It just works. It's simplicity at it's best. At first I gave her a chromebook and that was a nightmare... constantly freezing and far too complex for that age. Every few mins it was "daddy, somethings wrong with the 'puter". What a headache.

Feedback Score
    If you only download apps from official sources, like the Google Play Store, you are pretty safe. Avoid opening email attachments you aren't 100 % certain of. Don't click on links in text messages from unknown people. The usual stuff. IMHO unless you really need to avoid doing important financial stuff on your phone like banking, credit cards, etc. I only use non-important passwords on my phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post

Smartphones are computers. Actually, more like tablets. I don't have antivirus installed and I have never had a problem with malware or needed to restart frequently. Much like my desk computer, the phone rarely crashes. When it does, it is not because I am using the phone. I don't bother updating the apps that I never use. My older phones with 4 GB RAM are low on space for apps, but they have everything I really need. My 8 GB phone has plenty of space for apps, but I don't load it up with music.

I recommend not loading up a bunch of ad sponsored free apps and games. Those seem to be the ones that cause the most problems.

For me, they just work. I would never want to go back to not having GPS navigation, Internet search/browser, weather, email, camera, flashlight in my pocket.

They are larger and heavier than flip phones. You will need to charge it more frequently, like every day if you want the battery to last.

Carrier(s)
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    I recommend the maven at its current price. If you turn off data it lasts days on battery. Camera is not that good but for 30 dollars it is worth trying. You will need to switch to a micro sim from a regular sim the sim comes in the phone. I am typing this from my maven on Tapatalk.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
    http://www.racefansforever.weebly.com// For a Fan's perspective on NASCAR racing.

http://calvarycumberland.org/#/reveal-fm My latest project...programming a radio station

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php For good information about safety razor shaving, and straight edge shaving

Carrier(s)
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Also forgot that typing a text is easier than on a flip phone. You have to find what works for you. I personally like my maven and have had it since July, just wish the camera was better.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I never had any problem with my iPhones that I inherited from family members. All of them are fast enough for my usages.

Feedback Score
    The Moto E GoPhone can be had for less than $50 now and is a very solid phone. Camera is OK in bright light, but otherwise poor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg329 View Post
    Also forgot that typing a text is easier than on a flip phone. You have to find what works for you. I personally like my maven and have had it since July, just wish the camera was better.

Thanks! It's nice hearing from someone who owns a Maven. I don't even bother with texting with my flip phone. Not worth the hassle. I've never had a use for texting anyway, but it's good that if I ever do, it will be easier with a smartphone like the Maven.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They are larger and heavier than flip phones. You will need to charge it more frequently, like every day if you want the battery to last.
    This is actually something else I was concerned about. My flip phone is very small and easy to carry. How do people carry smarphones around--especially in the Summer when they don't have the big pockets of a jacket to carry it in? Looks like a pain to me! It would be tempting to just leave it at home. In the summer, I even leave my flip phone at home if I have no plans to call anyone and am not expecting anything other than telemarketers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast