Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: With the deals gone what's next for T-Mobile?

Feedback Score
    And then there's "The WalMart" plan that requires you to perform a secret handshake to get it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manhole View Post
    I was looking at doing the 10gb for all (4/$120) a little while before they announced BingeOn. At that time they also offered the iPhone 6s for $20/mo. I tried them for a couple of weeks but the service was spotty in some parts of my daily commute where Cricket is rock solid (would drop to EDGE or GPRS in some areas). They are just starting the B12 rollout in my area so I figured I'd wait until that was mostly completed and come back. With the 4/$120 gone, and the promotional rate on the iPhones gone I'm going to stick with Cricket for now. I don't mind that the data allotments shrank to 6gb because of BingeOn, but the price increase on the plan and the end of the promotional rate on two iPhones ends up costing about $40/mo more than it did in October. The new cap of 20gb on data stash is not very uncarrier either.
    I think the point of the promotions is to increase sales for a limited time. Tmobile clearly believes that their value has increase sufficiently that they no longer need to offer the same type of promotions as earlier in the year. It is also typical for carriers to offer their best deals in Q4 because of gift giving, switching, sending kids to college etc. that occurs in the fall. I expect we will see something different especially if they are impacted by Sprint's 1/2 off or some ATT or Verizon offer, and some new promotions will happen in Q4 2016

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    It seems impossible to compare them side by side with price and features.
    Here's a side by side comparison on T-Mobile's website (Click "Compare prepaid plans"):

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...4#compareplans

Feedback Score
    And then there's "The WalMart" plan that requires you to perform a secret handshake to get it.
    No secret handshake needed. It's readily available when activating a prepaid SIM---it's one of the plans in the list to choose from.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I think they need to re-uncarrier their plans by making them simpler. The smoke and mirrors aren't a long-term marketing strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mackat1 View Post
    Hopefully they keep improving their network (both speed and coverage) to keep up with increased demand as people switch to them. Stopping the price hikes would help as well. I definitely feel like their plans should be simplified, they can be quite confusing, at least from my point of view. They are the best network for my needs right now and I hope they stay that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    I'll agree with you, "Simple Choice" isn't, and I hope they figure that out.
    I personally find Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice Prepaid confusing. It seems impossible to compare them side by side with price and features. They're just rolling out new Simply Prepaid plans so maybe the confusion will be lessened.
    Again, I agree, they're NOT simple.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agreed. T-Mobile's plans USED to be simple... then blew up into a complicated mess.

You can select the lines and amount of data per line on their website, but T-Mobile's calculations doesn't account for "Family Data Match" discounts (30% off data price when ALL lines have the same amount of data). EVERY person I spoke with since the Data Match discounts started had no idea it even existed (since they aren't as enthusiastic about technology/cellular industry as I am). In fact, I didn't even know about the "Family Data Match" until I asked my rep about T-Mobile pricing changes after 11/14/2015 (and I haven't/hadn't seen any posts on HoFo stating this information).

Also, when the current promos came out most people (including me) also assumed the "4th-line free" promo only applied to the 6GB Family Plan (and didn't apply to all the other plans). It wasn't until the rep did some research and responded to my question did I know it also applied to the other plans as well (it just wasn't advertised well... unlike T-Mobile's previous promotions). However, there were still many people out there that assumed all other plans (excluding the 6GB) weren't eligible for the promo right until the end (1/18/2016 I believe).

IMHO, it would be better if T-Mobile had straight-forward pricing on each plan (without having to calculate data or line discounts afterwards). Or at least if they insist on doing it this way, then have the website calculator calculate the rates CORRECTLY (and not make customers go all the way through check-out to see the actual discounted price... most people won't even bother creating an account or going through checkout if they see a non-discounted price higher than AT&T and assume that's what they'd be paying).
    - Chokaay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
    In fact, I didn't even know about the "Family Data Match" until I asked my rep about T-Mobile pricing changes after 11/14/2015 (and I haven't/hadn't seen any posts on HoFo stating this information).
    Family data match is listed clearly right on their site. This graphic clearly shows how much a total family plan will be so I'm not really sure what the confusion is:

Family Match requires all lines on the account to have the same high-speed data allotment.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/family...WVGOFVRSRI3871

Feedback Score
    And this page tells us what about the feature and cost differences between Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice Prepaid?
    Name:  Prepaid Monthly Phone Plans   Simple Choice Prepaid Plans   T-Mobile.png
Views: 341
Size:  160.2 KB

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure? I think every phone they sell is Band 12 compatible?

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones...nd-twelve.html
    The models sold in 2014 and before are not.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    The models sold in 2014 and before are not.
    And many other GSM phones that could be unlocked and brought to T-Mo don't have Band 12. For example, the very popular Moto E and Moto G. Actually, they have Band 12 but it has been turned off for some reason to do with VOLTE. In any case, the point being that many people who might be interested in switching due to the expanded coverage won't be able to get that coverage without purchasing a new phone direct from T-Mo, but they won't know that and T-Mo certainly won't tell them.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Family data match is listed clearly right on their site. This graphic clearly shows how much a total family plan will be so I'm not really sure what the confusion is:

Family Match requires all lines on the account to have the same high-speed data allotment.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/family...WVGOFVRSRI3871

Yes it is, but it is not calculated when you configure a plan (at least before checkout). I would imagine it would be a simple programming fix (i.e. "if all lines have same data allotment, discount each line by $XX.XX"), but don't know why T-Mobile hasn't done it.

Also, when you go to T-Mobile's website, click SHOP > VOICE PLANS like a normal consumer would when pricing out a plan to compare against other carriers... there's NO mention of Family Data Match on either the Home Page or the Configuration Page (the only 2 pages the consumer would see). And without Family Data Match being calculated in the plan calculator, how would an average consumer know it exists unless they spend more time poking around the site? If I was an average consumer, after spending 2 minutes configuring my "plan", I'd be onto another carrier to do the same...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree on going back to simpler, and cheaper, pricing. Tmobile has not delivered on their 4G LTE upgrade promise - out in the west we have huge swaths of 2G that stand in stark contrast to the rest of the coverage map. These are along major interstates such as I-40, I-10, and I-8. That's excluding other important state highways and towns even here.

Additionally, the promotions that come and go quickly and force you into keeping a grandfathered plan unless you want to see a major rate hike is getting old - especially now that they've purposely excluded most uncarrier benefits from promo plans. Tmobile is inconsistent with what they choose to allow all plans or just 'new' ones. The ixnaying of overages on all plans was a great step forward and good for the customer. But then data stash was only for new plans as was free streaming of bingeon providers.

All of this doesn't add up to me with them increasing pricing. Sure, per unit pricing may have decreased, but some cheaper options were removed. I get if you're paying $60 for only 5GB, but a new plan comes out that's $70 for 10GB - much cheaper per unit but if you needed more than the lowest plan offers, you have to pony up more money now to get the data allotment that suits your needs.

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia M4 Aqua
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    And this page tells us what about the feature and cost differences between Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice Prepaid?
    Name:  Prepaid Monthly Phone Plans   Simple Choice Prepaid Plans   T-Mobile.png
Views: 341
Size:  160.2 KB
    That's what I was asking myself yesterday as well when I was looking at this....it says the Simply Prepaid isn't eligible for Binge On..just "Data Maximizer" which..to my understanding...is essentially the same thing, since MetroPCS uses it too...same thing for Music Freedom vs. Music Unlimited...apparently the same service..just different nomenclature....it's definitely confusing and unclear..they are directly mirroring MetroPCS plans...so where does that leave MetroPCS?

Feedback Score
    At least for new post paid accounts, what is confusing about their plans? I thought they only offered 1 simple choice plans (they sometimes offer bundle discounts - like 4 lines for $120), but nothing confusing about their plans IMHO.

Nothing confusing if you are in grandfathered in plans, you just have to compare the current deal vs. your old deal. When one is trying to compare ALL the deals that has been offered, then yes, it could get confusing, but why consider any deals that you can not get anyways into your calculation?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by culex316 View Post
    they are directly mirroring MetroPCS plans...so where does that leave MetroPCS?
    MetroPCS still has unlimited for $60, while Simply Prepaid only gets 10GB for $60. I pray they repeat 2/$100 because that's Metro pricing (crazy high telecom taxes here in Florida) for 2 lines of unlimited but with postpaid benefits. I probably won't get my wish though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    But then data stash was only for new plans as was free streaming of bingeon providers.
    Not true. Data stash = any plan that had more then 3GB/mo (new/old/doesn't matter), same for Binge-On (any plan that has more than 3GB/mo high speed data is eligible).

Now, I am sure they did the cutoff to 3GB just to exclude people on 2.5GB promo plan, but they are free to do so. (if that becomes uncompetitive, then I am sure people on 2.5GB promo plans will simply leave for better plan/provider) I am on 2.5GB so I am not benefiting from either data stash/binge-on, but I haven't found another carrier which fits my life. (AT&T/cricket/MVNO is only other potential carrier anyways due to my work place not getting any Verizon signal and Sprint signal being very weak).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast