Thread: "The Loaner"

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post "The Loaner"

Name:  rogers-loaner.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  57.0 KB

I came across a story on reddit yesterday that's just too good not to share.

It seems that a Rogers subscriber of some 15 years suddenly found himself with a dead LG G4. After a phone call to tech support and a visit to two separate Rogers stores it was determined that the phone needed to be sent in for repair.

Repair time was estimated at about three weeks. And what was this customer to do in the meantime with their $100+ per month phone plan? Pony up a $50 deposit for what you see here, the fabled Rogers "loaner" phone.

The Loaner has a 3 inch screen. It's a a touch screen phone just barely, it crawls along at the pace of an old man running a marathon. It's legit the biggest piece of s**t I've seen in years. The employees told me it's used to be a Pay As You Go phone from 2009 or so. It's running one of the first versions of Android but with it's tiny screen you can barely see anything and typing would be possible if I had toothpicks for fingers.
    In a reply to his own post (I'm assuming it's a "he" because of the hairy arm in the photo) (not judging, though) the redditor goes on to say that after calling retentions he was presented with another option: a premium service that would get a refurbished LG G4 mailed to him in a few days, at a cost of only $35. This premium service is apparently so secret that the reps at the store didn't even know about it. For a Big Three carrier that sounds about right.

Anyway, read more at the link directly below—and be prepared for some NSFW language which, for a frustrated Big Three subscriber, sounds about right.

Source: r/Canada
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm waiting for the inevitable follow-up where he complains about not being told he was actually taking a contract.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Wow, that guy can get free service during the time of the repair as per the wireless code, if the device is still under contract:

4. Repairs
    A service provider must suspend wireless service charges during device repairs upon request if all of the following conditions are met:
    the device was provided as part of a contract with the service provider and is returned to the service provider for repair;
    the device is under the manufacturer’s or the service provider’s warranty;
    the service provider did not provide a free replacement device for use during the repair; and
    the customer would incur an early cancellation fee if they were to cancel their wireless services.

Feedback Score
    What kind of phone is that? (the loaner)

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebucto902 View Post

Seeing as how it's 6 years old maybe it's the LG G -2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebucto902 View Post
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l1_ii_e410-5608.php
    Opinions and comments are that of my own and do that reflect that of any organization.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Meh - first world problems.
    Carrier: Koodo| Handset: OnePlus 5| Plan: UL CDN Wide calling, UL SMS, Call Display, VM | Data: 10GB LTE - $55 |

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Wow, that guy can get free service during the time of the repair as per the wireless code, if the device is still under contract:

4. Repairs
    A service provider must suspend wireless service charges during device repairs upon request if all of the following conditions are met:
    the device was provided as part of a contract with the service provider and is returned to the service provider for repair;
    the device is under the manufacturer’s or the service provider’s warranty;
    the service provider did not provide a free replacement device for use during the repair; and
    the customer would incur an early cancellation fee if they were to cancel their wireless services.
    I wonder if the carrier suspends service while they are suspending the charges...

One would also have to determine as to what level of "replacement device" the carrier would be expected to provide. The phone in the OP may not be considered a reasonable replacement by the user, but it may fulfill the WCOC requirements. I'd say it has to be the same "kind" of device with relative similar functionality. E.G., A client that needs their S6 repaired would have to accept an S3 (or maybe even S2) as their loaner device as those devices can serve the same basic functions as the S6.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    I wonder if the carrier suspends service while they are suspending the charges...

One would also have to determine as to what level of "replacement device" the carrier would be expected to provide. The phone in the OP may not be considered a reasonable replacement by the user, but it may fulfill the WCOC requirements. I'd say it has to be the same "kind" of device with relative similar functionality. E.G., A client that needs their S6 repaired would have to accept an S3 (or maybe even S2) as their loaner device as those devices can serve the same basic functions as the S6.
    It says "suspend wireless service charges" and not service. But in reality, all the conditions will never be met because early cancellation fees are now all device tabs and fall out of the ECF category.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Oh no! The loaner phone isn't good enough for this guy! Let's get all pissed at Rogers!

My $80,000 truck that was less than a year old was in for a recall once. The loaner CAR (not truck) they gave me to drive was 11 or 12 years old and worth maybe $5000 or $6000 and obviously couldn't perform the way my truck could. Due to a parts screw up I was without my truck for 10 days.

I guess I could have pitched a fit over it, but I didn't. Honestly I was just happy to have a vehicle to get around with while my truck was in the shop.

People are such crybabies when it comes to their cell phones.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Well, that is the issue with phones these days...I have an Apple now which in most cases can get fixed the same day at a Apple store. I have been a Android guy for years and switched in October 2015. Not to get into a Android/Apple fight here, but one thing I must say Apple does service it`s customers better than any other Android supplier. My kids have broken their screens and fixed that day of the appointment. One was in warranty and one I had o pay. It was very good service.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But you pay a premium for that apple service, you're not getting it for free.
    And the truth is, they're not that much better than the other premium brands anymore. I've had really bad service from apple's level 2 because iOS 9 is such a piece of tripe. The incompetence from their people is really pretty brutal at times and the only reason I still have my iPhone 6s Plus is because my girlfriend who lives in the States is also using an iPhone so it makes it free for us to communicate. If it wasn't for that, I would have switched to my Nexus 6p which I'm using without a SIM right now.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    I stopped reading when I got to the " their +$100 per month plan" part. Serves him well.
    Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most. [Mark Twain]

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I think more manufacturers should be selling their own phones vs buying from the carrier. Like mentioned above, I had a issue with my iPhone 5 and got a new one shipped to me after just asking a few basic troubleshooting questions.
    I convinced my brother to buy a OnePlusOne as he could get it directly from the manufacturer and not have to deal with the carriers at all. Now I can't speak to the service for OnePlus, but we all hear horror stories of repair issues through the carrier.
    I've tried to distance myself as far away from relying on the Carrier at all, other then just the SIM card and the plan.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    My 'loaner' device is the last device I didn't sell, or give away. Doesn't anyone keep a spare anymore for these instances? Think ahead, people.

Or, borrow one from Howard. He may have a few laying around.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast