Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cel-Fi only repeating LTE now?

Device(s)
    Current: iPhone, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cel-Fi only repeating LTE now?

I've noticed in the last month that my Cel-Fi repeater only repeats LTE signal now. It's not really a complaint more than an observation. Devices that only do band 2 WCDMA, or devices with LTE disabled are now stuck feeding directly off the tower rather than going through the repeater.

Tried rebooting the repeater multiple times for various reasons over the last month and the behavior seems consistent.

Curious is all, I suppose. Didn't realize they could (inferred logic) selectively feed instructions to the repeater on what signal to repeat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz View Post
    I've noticed in the last month that my Cel-Fi repeater only repeats LTE signal now. It's not really a complaint more than an observation. Devices that only do band 2 WCDMA, or devices with LTE disabled are now stuck feeding directly off the tower rather than going through the repeater.

Tried rebooting the repeater multiple times for various reasons over the last month and the behavior seems consistent.

Curious is all, I suppose. Didn't realize they could (inferred logic) selectively feed instructions to the repeater on what signal to repeat.
    In my experience, the Cel-Fis always only repeated LTE or WCDMA.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Could this have something to do with T-Mobile migrating WCDMA to band 2, upgrading band 4 to all-LTE?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I represent Nextivity, the manufacturer of Cel-Fi. Each Cel-Fi system is shipped pre-configured with a set of pre-defined logic about which channels should be boosted based on several factors including: technology type, signal strength, band and width of channel. The Cel-Fi system monitors the signals it receives and makes a calculated choice on what to boost based on this logic. Every 24 hours, the system re-assesses the signal to make sure it is providing the best services, and as such, channels boosted may change as the network matures or varies.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tonjaaldis View Post
    I represent Nextivity, the manufacturer of Cel-Fi. Each Cel-Fi system is shipped pre-configured with a set of pre-defined logic about which channels should be boosted based on several factors including: technology type, signal strength, band and width of channel. The Cel-Fi system monitors the signals it receives and makes a calculated choice on what to boost based on this logic. Every 24 hours, the system re-assesses the signal to make sure it is providing the best services, and as such, channels boosted may change as the network matures or varies.
    Good to know. Does a power cycle make it "re-asses" faster?

Feedback Score
    Thanks p6B5Nm5b. Yes, it would.

Device(s)
    Current: iPhone, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonjaaldis View Post
    Well, that explains it then! Really appreciate the information! Been loving that little set of monsters. Even have them both on UPSes in the event the power dies.

Feedback Score
    tonjaaldis,

Since you're here, I hope you might indulge me with a few questions.

I have the RS3 being delivered to my home address tomorrow by UPS. I intend to set it up here at home as a trial, however it will be moved to my beach house about 100 miles away. Will it automatically reset itself for the signal at that location after it's gone through the initial setup, or will it retain the original settings from my home? In other words, should I skip the home test, and just go with the beach install?

I told T-Mobile my intentions when I ordered this product and gave them both addresses. I assume that this was so that they could check the potential signal strength.

I see some of these units for sale on Ebay & elsewhere. They are labeled as "For T-Mobile, Model D32-24" and the photos match the packaging in your company video. Is it probable that these units would function, or do the units need to have their serial number or other identifier registered with T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    I have RS2 units. They re-transmit B2 and B4 UMTS and LTE.
    I tested with different devices and found out.
    No B12 however.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.mingkee View Post
    I have RS2 units. They re-transmit B2 and B4 UMTS and LTE.
    I tested with different devices and found out.
    No B12 however.
    You might be actually referring to the RS3, as the RS2 was only compatible up to HSPA+, not LTE (source)

Feedback Score
    daleraver, thanks for asking! I'm happy to help.

The system will automatically reset itself for best performance anywhere you set it up on the T-Mobile USA network. If you move it, it will just re-adjust to the new location.

In terms of units on Ebay, they may be older systems that do not boost LTE. Also, FYI - they are actually T-Mobile property and cannot legally be resold. We recommend checking in with T-Mobile to get the most up to date version.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reply and answers.

I realize your company and Amazon also markets the units as a retail item. I assume one of these units is permitted to be resold.

One final question you may not have the answer for, the RS3 unit funtions on bands 2 & 4. If only a signal on say, band 2 is received, is it rebroadcast on both bands at the end users' location, or is it a pass through system?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There are two models.. the Duo and Pro. I think T-Mobile sells the Duo unit. That unit does (and repeats) 2 bands. Band 4 and Band 2. I'd live to see T-Mobile carry the Pro units. Those repeat 4 bands including Band 12. I just ordered one from T-Mobile. I'm hoping I get a pro but know it will be a Duo.

Feedback Score
    I just got mine yesterday and it was a Duo. Maybe the Pro model will become the T-Mobile unit after band 12 becomes more prevalent.

It works well and the coverage seems to be what they claim. I have a 3, story 4,500 sq. ft. house and I pick up the signal everywhere with 1-2 bars of incoming LTE showing on the Window Unit.

I'll be moving it to our beach house later today and should be posting a report from there if I get any kind of signal to work with. I haven't been there for a few months, and don't know what the native signal is like currently.
    Last edited by daleraver; 01-23-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    So I got the Cel Fi Duo installed at a vacation house yesterday afternoon. T-Mobile service there is still dismal. The best signal I can display on my iPhone 6s Plus is about -110 on "E" at the only window that shows any service. This where I put the Network Unit and after a minute or two it displayed one bar of LTE. This was not constant however, it would drop out every few minutes to no bars, no LTE. The weather seemed to be a factor, it was windy and rainy at the time. I started placing the Coverage Unit across the room, about 25 ft. away. This was way too close though, the display read out "1", and on my phone would only register an LTE signal within a few feet. I finally ended up putting it at the other end of the house on the same floor. It read "7" at that location, and my iPad and phone had from -74 to about -88 of LTE in that bedroom. Data speeds clocked in at from about 1-3 Mbps. Very usable for HoFo, maps, news, YouTube, etc.

From the crappy incoming signal level to any usable service is practically a miracle to me. I'm slightly disappointed that the usable signal doesn't seem to quite reach back to the Network Unit.

I also talked to my neighbor and he says he's on Sprint and has a booster for signal. This area is truly the "Dead Zone" for cellular. My old AT&T line would only work by one window.

All in all, I'd give the system a 4.5 star rating. It's not quite as plug and play as in the video, however it pulled an LTE signal out of thin air from what I could tell, so with a little stronger incoming service, it should do quite well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast