Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Stores are the sleeziest.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score

AT&T Stores are the sleeziest.

I have to get this off my mind. I'm posting the same thing I did in a Yelp review. I talked to AT&T executive customer service and they could care less. If a sales associate says misleading statements and lies in order to get a sale, tough luck:
    This AT&T store is the absolute shadiest place to do business, and after I write this I'll be writing AT&T corporate about these scam artists.

I came in very recently to purchase a new phone, as I was eligible for an upgrade. The retail sales consultant, who I will not mention on this post because I'm not that vindictive, showed me the options for the phone I was purchasing (LG G4). I was concerned that I didn't want my monthly rate to go up, or not by much, along with getting a data plan.

She looks at my plan, "does some number crunching," and writes down how this new "AT&T Next Plan" compares. The problem is, I didn't find out until today by checking my online account, that she totally misrepresented, if not lied, about the facts. She told me my new rate will be about the same, or at worst a dollar or two more, with better features.

One thing she made clear is the plan she was selling me has 3 gb of data each month. I have now determined it only provides 2 gb of data. In fact, in just now checking AT&T's website, I don't see they offer a 3 gb plan. This whole 2 gb / 3 gb subject came up because she saw I sometimes for over 2 gb, so this "new plan" is better. The second fact she mis-represented/lied about, was how long it will take to pay off my new phone under the Next plan. I mentioned my previous contract was 24 months. She tells me it will take 24 months to pay off my new phone under the Next plan, so things are about equal. This was all perfectly clear in our conversations. I just looked at the register receipt today (I didn't look at it until now). In order to achieve the same monthly payment for me, she signed me up for the 30 month plan to pay off the phone. She told me 24 months and it's all paid up, but signs me up for 30 months (longer payments) WITHOUT TELLING ME. Upon further research today, I find out if I decide to purchase a new phone at 24 months, I do have to return the phone as I didn't reach 30 months. The store hid the facts from me between the AT&T Next 18 and AT&T Next 24 Plans where 18 really means 24 and 24 really means 30. If I knew they were going to do underhanded tricks, I would have recorded this.

All this gets me so angry in how they are blatantly dishonest with their customers. Now that I look at this, they assumed I was an idiot and I wouldn't notice. Don't touch this place with a ten-foot pole.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Take a deep breath.
    Exhale.
    Now try to understand a few things.
    The sales rep may have said 3 GB because that was the plan for a long time.
    It is now 2 GB at a lower cost ($10 less) than the older 3 GB plan (which probably a lot of customers still have.)
    the Rollover will save you from paying an overage once in a while.
    Previously when you were under a contract, you were paying a line charge of $40 per month. Under the Next plan with the 2 GB data plan your line charge is $25 per month.
    The Next plan has various payment levels so you can pay the full cost of the phone in interest free installments over 24 months, or 30 months, or less time. In any case you pay the full cost of the phone. You are no worse money-wise than if you were under the old, now extinct subsidized contract with the higher line charge.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by burgerwars View Post
    I have to get this off my mind. I'm posting the same thing I did in a Yelp review. I talked to AT&T executive customer service and they could care less. If a sales associate says misleading statements and lies in order to get a sale, tough luck:
    This AT&T store is the absolute shadiest place to do business, and after I write this I'll be writing AT&T corporate about these scam artists.

I came in very recently to purchase a new phone, as I was eligible for an upgrade. The retail sales consultant, who I will not mention on this post because I'm not that vindictive, showed me the options for the phone I was purchasing (LG G4). I was concerned that I didn't want my monthly rate to go up, or not by much, along with getting a data plan.

She looks at my plan, "does some number crunching," and writes down how this new "AT&T Next Plan" compares. The problem is, I didn't find out until today by checking my online account, that she totally misrepresented, if not lied, about the facts. She told me my new rate will be about the same, or at worst a dollar or two more, with better features.

One thing she made clear is the plan she was selling me has 3 gb of data each month. I have now determined it only provides 2 gb of data. In fact, in just now checking AT&T's website, I don't see they offer a 3 gb plan. This whole 2 gb / 3 gb subject came up because she saw I sometimes for over 2 gb, so this "new plan" is better. The second fact she mis-represented/lied about, was how long it will take to pay off my new phone under the Next plan. I mentioned my previous contract was 24 months. She tells me it will take 24 months to pay off my new phone under the Next plan, so things are about equal. This was all perfectly clear in our conversations. I just looked at the register receipt today (I didn't look at it until now). In order to achieve the same monthly payment for me, she signed me up for the 30 month plan to pay off the phone. She told me 24 months and it's all paid up, but signs me up for 30 months (longer payments) WITHOUT TELLING ME. Upon further research today, I find out if I decide to purchase a new phone at 24 months, I do have to return the phone as I didn't reach 30 months. The store hid the facts from me between the AT&T Next 18 and AT&T Next 24 Plans where 18 really means 24 and 24 really means 30. If I knew they were going to do underhanded tricks, I would have recorded this.

All this gets me so angry in how they are blatantly dishonest with their customers. Now that I look at this, they assumed I was an idiot and I wouldn't notice. Don't touch this place with a ten-foot pole.
    You are responsible for determining the conditions of any contract before you agree. Oral representations are superseded by written contracts.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T Stores are the sleeziest.

Sadly I feel that all the lies you were told were very likely the sales persons ignorance. They used to have a 3 gig plan, and AT&T itself calls its Next Plans "Next 18" and "Next 24" so she very likely may be too ignorant to understand herself that, that is just the period before being eligible to trade in and sign another deal.
    It's good to remember that to most of these people it's just a job, they have absolutely no interest in the job, and do as little as they can to get by without getting fired.

My recommendation to anyone, is to read up online and research what you want and make your decision before going down to a store to get it. In the wireless industry they count on your being confused and/or ignorant to make extra profit.

If you feel you have been taken advantage of, you can return the device, get on the phone and have your old plan reinstated. You can then go online and purchase one of the numerous contract free unlocked phones on the market these days. Better yet, you can do that and even switch to a prepaid brand such as Cricket and save some money. That's owned by AT&T and runs on their network.

Feedback Score
    Just finished fixing an issue for a friend. Upgraded 2 phones at an AT&T store with AT&T Next + Insurance. They added some BS insurance with tech support for $10.99. Not to mention they said they would waive all activation fees (not true.) I was charged two $15 fees and one $45 fee for an iPad. One chat with customer service and it's all fixed and credited. Whatever.

Feedback Score
    You should definitely avoid any carrier stores, they really are all as bad as each other, this is a totally normal par for the course experience. Yes, many store employees are dishonest and will rip the customer off in order to get better commission or look good for the boss. The ones at franchise independent owners are even worse than the corporate stores. And this is true for t-mobile, Verizon, cricket, MetroPCS, sprint, etc etc etc

Then you get the ones that are perfectly honest, but are very poorly trained not too intelligent - or else why would they be working at such a low paying job? And therefore not motivated to learn even a small fraction of what the average person hanging out in these forums understands.

Basically these employees are not much higher up the run then the average person flipping burgers down at McDonalds, you need to be prepared , know exactly what it is that you want and what the best pricing scheme is for you, in other words do your research ask questions here on Howard forums.com before you have any contact with the carriers.

Which then means you can do everything online or over the phone, do not need to set foot in any store. Which, in turn means there's no reason to pay for service directly from AT&T when you can save so much money by using one of the MVNO's that will give you the same exact network service that you need at a much lower price.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't agree more. I won't get into all my details, but my experience is similar with visits to more than one store and the most awful telephone call support experience that caused multiple day contacts and several hours of run around. I have been an att customer since the beginning with Cingular. I am done! I am also planning to drop uverse. This company use to have good customer service but they don't seem to care anymore which can also be sensed with store personal who are either under trained or also don't care, probably poorly paid. I never post but like originating author said "had to get this off my mind" there are plenty of other good companies out there. Good luck!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Strange how folks are either complaining about store reps or customer service. Nobody's perfect and the only guarantee is someone will be upset about one or the other. Just my $.02 worth.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    If store employees were paid a living wage without having to pressure customers to make commission sales, then the whole problem would go away, that is the root cause.

As I said above, this is not an AT&T problem but endemic to the whole industry. Independently owned franchise stores for all of the providers are similarly driven, just giving customers decent service does not pay the rent

Feedback Score
    At least my AT&T store was great they told me what would be on my bill if i upgrade a new phone or service and help me out with no gimmics. when I called AT&T customer service for some questions the lady was very nice and awnsered all my questions with no problem.
    When I called T-Mobile customer service about plans and coverage it was a whole automated proccess and then they weren't really mean but they didn't want to awnser some of my questions about coverage. T-Mobile was nagging me to transer my AT&T number to T-Mobile and i've had coverage issues. That makes me not want to switch to T-Mobile for a while so I guess I get lucky with the AT&T stores and customer service. I'm sticking with AT&T for sure.

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    I quit buying my phones at the At&t stores and now just get them directly from Apple. The reps at the At&t corp stores here are not bad, but after all the delays and screw-ups with the iPhone 6/6+ pre-orders through At&t, I gave up ordering phones through them. I thankfully was able to find my 6+ available at the near-by Apple store about a week or so after release and called At&t and they were able to cancel the pre-order so I could pick it up from Apple. It was going to be over a month to get it from At&t.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anikaperi View Post
    You should definitely avoid any carrier stores, they really are all as bad as each other, this is a totally normal par for the course experience. Yes, many store employees are dishonest and will rip the customer off in order to get better commission or look good for the boss. The ones at franchise independent owners are even worse than the corporate stores. And this is true for t-mobile, Verizon, cricket, MetroPCS, sprint, etc etc etc

Then you get the ones that are perfectly honest, but are very poorly trained not too intelligent - or else why would they be working at such a low paying job? And therefore not motivated to learn even a small fraction of what the average person hanging out in these forums understands.

Basically these employees are not much higher up the run then the average person flipping burgers down at McDonalds, you need to be prepared , know exactly what it is that you want and what the best pricing scheme is for you, in other words do your research ask questions here on Howard forums.com before you have any contact with the carriers.

Which then means you can do everything online or over the phone, do not need to set foot in any store. Which, in turn means there's no reason to pay for service directly from AT&T when you can save so much money by using one of the MVNO's that will give you the same exact network service that you need at a much lower price.
    u have poorly represented what its like to be a COR rep. good, high performing COR reps make northward 60-70k. in some stores if you want to make more money its better to stay a rep than become a manager.

full disclosure i used to be a COR rep a long time ago and back then it was common for high performing reps to make six figures. not kidding. i got promoted twice into corporate and then moved on to another company. yes there are lazy reps and not so bright reps. but they are not the majority and most don't last long.

i post this to let you know that much of your post in inaccurate.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by technoevil View Post
    I quit buying my phones at the At&t stores and now just get them directly from Apple. The reps at the At&t corp stores here are not bad, but after all the delays and screw-ups with the iPhone 6/6+ pre-orders through At&t, I gave up ordering phones through them. I thankfully was able to find my 6+ available at the near-by Apple store about a week or so after release and called At&t and they were able to cancel the pre-order so I could pick it up from Apple. It was going to be over a month to get it from At&t.
    i would honestly recommend that everyone buy their phones outside of carrier stores. then there would be no misunderstanding next terms, etc. just move your sim and you have service in the new phone. your billing would not be touched at all.

just imagine if every time u wanted a new tv you had to call up the cable company to buy it and change the terms of your billing. or every time u wanted a new computer u had to call up your isp and change the terms of your billing. that sounds ridiculous. imo, so is the way we buy cellphones in the united states.

i just bought a new custom moto x pure edition. no carrier branding at all. once i got it i put my sim in and off i went with no issues. att's olam doesn't even recognize the phone. i love it and i didn't change my billing at all.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I hah had very good service at the corporate store I have visited three times since beginning my at&t service. Once to begin the service and twice for service type concerns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyorke View Post
    I hah had very good service at the corporate store I have visited three times since beginning my at&t service. Once to begin the service and twice for service type concerns.
    Me too. You gotta go to Corporate stores. Always look on the building sign on top of the door. If it says Authorized Retailer is small letters under the ATT sign, then steer clear. Look for the building that just says ATT and o small letters underneath. Thos authorized retailers are what is bringing the sleeziness...no need for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast