Thread: Just got an Iphone 6s on AT&T. Plan to sell it, but do I have to activate it first?

Feedback Score

Just got an Iphone 6s on AT&T. Plan to sell it, but do I have to activate it first?

I have unlocked Moto Pure X that I'm perfectly fine with. Since I heard AT&T is getting rid of subsidized phone prices, I decided to get an Iphone 6S purely to resell. I asked them to leave it in the box and they said that I can just call customer support when I'm ready to activate it. So if I sell the phone on ebay/swappa/etc, I need to open the box and activate the phone first?

Feedback Score
    You really should make sure the phone is fully paid off and unlocked before putting it on the market, someone would have to be pretty stupid to buy a phone that was still tied to your account and could get blacklisted many months down the road if you didn't pay your bill.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    You really should make sure the phone is fully paid off and unlocked before putting it on the market, someone would have to be pretty stupid to buy a phone that was still tied to your account and could get blacklisted many months down the road if you didn't pay your bill.
    I'm on an old grandfathered unlimited data plan. There shouldn't be any more payments aside from the $199 + taxes that I paid for the phone, unles I'm missing something.

Feedback Score
    You're missing something.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Your plan subsidy for a two year extension is what pays for the balance of your phone purchase. If you change or drop your current plan, a balance would be due for that subsidy. If you fail to pay the balance, the phone could be blacklisted, since it was not paid in full regardless of who currently owns it.

Device(s)
    HTC HD7, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No, there is nothing you have to do.
    These guys are just cautioning that, if anything were to happen/change with your account, the buyer could potentially have a brick.
    Keep that in mind and be fair and everything will be fine!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBlack View Post
    No, there is nothing you have to do.
    Keep that in mind and be fair and everything will be fine!
    no one can predict the future.
    To be fair, if you don't actually pay the full subsidy off in advance and get the phone unlocked so there is no obligation tied to your account anymore, then the advertisement should specifically state "this phone is under subsidy and still tied to my account, so could be blacklisted any time in the next couple of years if I get hit by a bus or something."

Anything less would be deceptive advertising

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Well, everyone was trying to say you need to pay off the phone before you can sell it. Otherwise whoever bought it would give you a bad feedback.