Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Karma Neverstop users: suddenly throttled to 1.5Mbps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I think that Karma providing 50 GB data for $50 ($1 a GB) would be wishful thinking. I don't know of anyone selling consumer retail mobile data anywhere close to that.

For unlimited they will have to stop the video streamers, etc. by TOS or throttling below where video streaming will work. That would probably have to be 128 - 256 Kbps. You can still stream a lot of Netflix at 1.5 or 2-3 Mbps, just not at HD. I have done it on 400 Kbps hotel wifi.

Sprint also has to consider their network capacity. Too many Karmas could be like when all those original iPhones hit the AT&T network. It could degrade the network to the point where Sprint would start losing phone subscribers, and they can't allow that. Adding network capacity is not fast or cheap.

Both Karma and I apparently underestimated the Kord Kutters. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    they underestimated just how many people lack a somewhat unlimited data option that isn't ridiculously overpriced and capped ceullar or satellite. there are still millions of people in the US that do not have access to cable or even dsl

Feedback Score
    Everyone knew this was going to happen from day one, including Karma and posters here including me.

You can tell that they knew it because they worded it originally in an obscure way so as to leave themselves an escape hatch.

They cynically did it anyway to boost sales.

They never had a plan from Sprint that allowed unlimited data at a fixed monthly cost per user to them, so it was only a matter of time.

What's more, I expect that they will find that they cannot afford unlimited even at 1.5 Mbps and that that will have to be cut back also one way or another.

Feedback Score
    I see an influx of returned units in the near weeks . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Everyone knew this was going to happen from day one, including Karma and posters here including me.

You can tell that they knew it because they worded it originally in an obscure way so as to leave themselves an escape hatch.

They cynically did it anyway to boost sales.

They never had a plan from Sprint that allowed unlimited data at a fixed monthly cost per user to them, so it was only a matter of time.

What's more, I expect that they will find that they cannot afford unlimited even at 1.5 Mbps and that that will have to be cut back also one way or another.

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    I see an influx of returned units in the near weeks . . . .
    Likely to be refurbished and sold at a discount to people who want Refuel pay-as-you-go service, intend only to be a moderate Neverstop user, or want a second Karma device. Not everybody wants or needs unlimited service so that's my guess what will happen to returns

Feedback Score
    Their website now says the limit is 5 Mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Their website now says the limit is 5 Mbps.
    I think that's just the old boilerplate, at the bottom of the page they have added this notice:

Note: As of 1/7/16, we began running tests to optimize Neverstop service, including lowering speeds. Our engineers are working hard to find the right balance of always accessible worry-free internet, at a fair price, so you'll likely see speeds change over the next few days while we try to fine-tune that balance. We'll update everyone when we have more concrete changes to report.

Right now I am seeing an (apparently throttled) speed of 2 mbps. It changes daily, we will see where the roulette wheel stops...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
    they underestimated just how many people lack a somewhat unlimited data option that isn't ridiculously overpriced and capped ceullar or satellite. there are still millions of people in the US that do not have access to cable or even dsl
    Actually it would be really nice if a company could offer something like this genuinely to those people and actually effectively police it perhaps with geo location. Should really be subsidized out of the spectrum auctions and/or other service taxes and fees - not 9-1-1 obviously but perhaps the same sort of pool subsidizes mobile phones for the poor

I really do think the problem is people who have access to perfectly good wired broadband, but think that just because something is advertised as unlimited they can cut the cord and do all their Netflix and blu-ray torrenting 24x7

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeen View Post
    well so much for that
    seems like every time a contender for unlimited appears, something happens to restrict it in some way.
    The something is data hogs ruining a good thing. Yes, the company shouldn't have promised what they did and should have known once the word got out, the gaming and streaming crowd would take advantage. I really think providers should offer the speed demons a higher priced plan and normal users a lower priced plan with somewhat slower rates. Maybe that already exists but I don't know. I thought I read satellite internet providers did something like that.

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anikaperi View Post
    Actually it would be really nice if a company could offer something like this genuinely to those people and actually effectively police it perhaps with geo location. Should really be subsidized out of the spectrum auctions and/or other service taxes and fees - not 9-1-1 obviously but perhaps the same sort of pool subsidizes mobile phones for the poor

I really do think the problem is people who have access to perfectly good wired broadband, but think that just because something is advertised as unlimited they can cut the cord and do all their Netflix and blu-ray torrenting 24x7
    Think the closest to what you are saying would be the Universal Service Fund tax on telecom bills. Virgin Mobile actually experimented with something like this with heavily subsidized data: https://www.fcc.gov/general/virgin-mobile-pilot-project

I fall into the category of I can afford reasonably priced broadband data but home wired broadband would be prohibitively expensive (rural area and distance from street; cable companies would charge by the foot). Satellite broadband has been offered in the area but would have cost and latency issues, and people in the area with DSL have been having issues. So I use wireless AT&T postpaid LTE at home and AT&T or Sprint wireless away from home (FreedomPop free or Karma Refuel for Sprint). But I don't do much online video and virtually no online gaming so my usage is normally 5-6 gb a month on AT&T and 2-3 gb on Sprint resellers. If Sprint went on towers near home that are currently AT&T/Vz only, I might use just Sprint to save money, but I don't think my total usage would dramatically increase.

Feedback Score
    And that's exactly what I mean, even though you are doing home ISP replacement, by being conservative in your data usage you should qualify for an overall unlimited plan, truly unthrottled within that context, at a rate about the same as what the wired broadband people are paying in urban areas.

And then if you, or someone in your household, do start doing huge downloading and abusive streaming, you get a warning.

If you don't back off, then you start getting throttled, then they hit you with a cap and/or surcharges, whatever scheme, should not be that hard to come up with, all this should be done through algorithms and automated systems, no humans required , actually solving the fundamental dilemma , rather than throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
    Last edited by anikaperi; 01-10-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    I think that may be a answer, speed meter the account. You could even offer higher speeds to the lowest data users and advertise it honestly.

So say as a lower end user I check email, cruise some forums, do some searches and in my case, play pogo games that take little data. 100 MB's a day is high for me with out occasionally streaming a low res hockey game. Most of the time my speed meter would stay high but by the time I finished streaming a game, it will have dropped by 25%. It would come back up if I didn't stream another game for a few days and drop even farther if I streamed one daily. Go on a streaming binge and you could knock your speed down considerably for quite a while.

Low data user enjoy unlimited high speeds. Moderate users are controlled and abusers are taken out quickly.

I was considering the Karma plan but will wait to see how it falls out.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunate news: http://www.androidcentral.com/karma-...ited-data-plan

Can say I blame them, you cannot sustain an unprofitable MVNO business model.

To those that are going to complain about this change, this is what happens when these types of offers are taken for granted.

It really doesn't matter who is or isn't considered a "data hog".. because at this point the offering is gone.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Last edited by greg4android; 01-09-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    It really doesn't matter who is or isn't considered a "data hog".. because at this point the offering is gone.
    The Neverstop option isn't gone. It's clear that speed may be lowered or other restrictions applied to prevent abuse, but so far Karma has commented that they are determined to keep the plan. If they can retain the (reasonably) unlimited usage feature then I can live with 2 mbps if it comes to that.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    The Neverstop option isn't gone. It's clear that speed may be lowered or other restrictions applied to prevent abuse, but so far Karma has commented that they are determined to keep the plan. If they can retain the (reasonably) unlimited usage feature then I can live with 2 mbps if it comes to that.
    I meant that previous offer being @5Mbps...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast