Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Karma Neverstop users: suddenly throttled to 1.5Mbps?

Feedback Score

Karma Neverstop users: suddenly throttled to 1.5Mbps?

I know of 1 other person with the same experience, so I'm curious if others are also having this issue: I was fairly consistently getting around 4.9Mbps up and down. Suddenly, yesterday evening I began maxing out at about 1.5Mbps up and down. I tried rebooting the hotspot, different speed test servers, etc, but always seemed to hit the 1.5Mbps limit. I opened a ticket with Karma, and then this morning someone else posted on my blog that they had the same experience yesterday. I was still experiencing the issue this morning. I'm wondering if this is some sort of system wide issue with Karma/Sprint.

Feedback Score
    I am having the same experience. I received an email from them this morning...

Neverstop Update

We launched Neverstop two months ago and the usage has blown our minds.

We couldn’t be more excited about your appetite to be online while on the go. But we were surprised to learn*how many of you are also using it heavily at home. We've seen lots of you binge watch Netflix in HD all day, back up your hard drives over the internet, and even connect your Xboxes through ingenious means. It’s a glimpse of how the internet should be, and we love it… but it's putting a strain on the service and it’s not what the product is meant for today.​

So, to make sure that Neverstop continues to work seamlessly for as many people as possible, we have to make some changes to the service. We began running tests to optimize the service, including lowering speeds. Our engineers are working hard to find the right balance of always accessible worry-free internet, at a fair price, so you'll likely see speeds change over the next few days while we try to fine-tune that balance.

We will continue to get you online so you can do what’s most important to you when on-the-go: things like email, streaming, and browsing. But, we need to reduce the extreme usage cases. If you find that Neverstop doesn’t fit your needs, use our mobile apps to switch to*Refuel, or headhere*for a refund.

As we figure this out, we want to take into account what is most important to you as a Neverstop customer. To get your input, weput together a surveyso you can help us improve Neverstop.

Ultimately our goal is that you never have to worry about getting online whether you’re at the office, home or the spaces in between. That’s Neverstop’s future. Today, we will make Neverstop the right solution for your on-the-go needs.

Thanks,
    Steven van Wel

Feedback Score
    I admire your setup with the Karma hotspot and I hope it's just a temporary glitch. But their language in the FAQ worries me - it is essentially saying you can "occasionally" use Skype:

"Can I use Neverstop for gaming or streaming devices?

No, Karma Go does not support streaming devices (such as Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast) or gaming consoles. Gaming consoles and streaming devices require high speed and performance, both of which Neverstop is not intended for. Overall, the experience will not be adequate enough for these use cases. Also, Karma Go isolates each connection, meaning devices are not able to communicate with each other over WiFi.

You'll be able to do normal daily activities, such as: surf websites, read news, send emails, make voice calls, occasional video calls, and much more."

Please post an update if/when they fix this problem.

Feedback Score
    They've responded to my ticket and I got the same email as above. After they were so adamant there wouldn't be throttling beyond the 5Mbps limit, that's exactly what they've done.

Contrary to their FAQ, my streaming worked just fine -- 5Mbps is plenty for HD streams on Netflix.

I might be able to accept if they reduced it to 4Mbps or maybe even 3Mbps, but 1.5Mbps is way to much of a drop regardless of price. Unacceptable. False advertising and changing terms with no warning, they are going to really anger their early customers.

I'm not sure how they expected anything else given the product they were offering.

Feedback Score
    pretty ignorant for them to not expect high usage on an unlimited plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffham View Post

Neverstop Update [From Karma]

...But we were surprised to learn*how many of you are also using it heavily at home. We've seen lots of you binge watch Netflix in HD all day, back up your hard drives over the internet, and even connect your Xboxes through ingenious means.
    This is why we can't have nice things. It is unsustainable for the price charged. What would streaming HD Netflix all day use? Tens of GB a day? Karma has to pay Sprint for the data.

Like many low cost unlimited data plans, they are probably going to have to go to high speed up to some GBs a month then throttled to some speed that won't stream Netflix even at low res.

Feedback Score
    they have obviously underestimated how bad the state of broadband in the United States is. for a lot of people, this was by far the fastest unlimited internet option. they should have realized this before they started making promises of never going to throttle users

Feedback Score
    well honestly it is their own fault. they offered unlimited at a locked-in rate. what did they expect people to do? be data misers and micro manage their usage? nope. they either put too much trust in humans, or did not think this through at all. now, they've lowered the cap so low, nobody will want to use it. if people want to pay $50/mo for sprint, they'd be better off with this http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r-contract-Bus even though it requires a contract.

Feedback Score
    i would be leary of any mobile hotspot unlimited plan that has a contract for this exact reason we've seen with karma.

Feedback Score
    Its was nice marketing it at unlimited at 5mpbs when they were trying to push sales . . . . . Now that they're in the reality of people actually using them... "you're using too much"..... DUH..

Of course, SPRINT is probably coming gown on them pretty hard...

So, you're pretty well stuck with that ever speeds they throttle you to......if you're in the return period time, RETURN IT.......

Feedback Score
    NOT SO FAST! the $42.99 hotspot deal is pretty well restricted to business use (with only a couple types of businesses eligible)......didn't start out that way, but then again, its SPRINT, and they've narrowed it down.

Quote Originally Posted by zeen View Post
    well honestly it is their own fault. they offered unlimited at a locked-in rate. what did they expect people to do? be data misers and micro manage their usage? nope. they either put too much trust in humans, or did not think this through at all. now, they've lowered the cap so low, nobody will want to use it. if people want to pay $50/mo for sprint, they'd be better off with this http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r-contract-Bus even though it requires a contract.

Feedback Score
    You can always CANCEL, no contract holding anyone to it.....you could always return it, and it you're past your return period, submit a credit card chargeback for your device claiming a change in terms of service.

Quote Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
    they have obviously underestimated how bad the state of broadband in the United States is. for a lot of people, this was by far the fastest unlimited internet option. they should have realized this before they started making promises of never going to throttle users

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    NOT SO FAST! the $42.99 hotspot deal is pretty well restricted to business use (with only a couple types of businesses eligible)......didn't start out that way, but then again, its SPRINT, and they've narrowed it down.
    well so much for that
    seems like every time a contender for unlimited appears, something happens to restrict it in some way.

Feedback Score
    Yes I will keep my 300 gigabytes for $113 from t-mobile business hotspotting the whole thing is no problem designed for multi user office LAN access through a router and not subject to the TMO de-prioritization.

For my usage that is definitely in effect unlimited and so far I have a tower out in the countryside all to myself, never goes below 14 megabit per second so I'm happy.

I think it is true that anything advertised as so-called unlimited will only be temporary, since it attracts the abusers they can't afford to price it realistically

Feedback Score
    Ah the ol' stop using unlimited data on your unlimited plan switcheroo.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast