Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Karma Neverstop users: suddenly throttled to 1.5Mbps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by safyre View Post
    This mornings email from Karma:

Last week we announced that we were testing lower speeds to find a way to reduce strain on Neverstop. At the same time we asked for your input to improve it and have spent the last week analyzing your feedback.
    What Happened
    We made a mistake. We modeled Neverstop usage to be much higher than usage on Refuel. But we never anticipated that some customers would use over 1,000GB a month.
    Some of you asked why we don't kick off the bad guys. Frankly, we don't think there are any bad guys. We offered an all-you-can-surf option, and people took us up on it. That's on us.
    But usage this high is not something that will work today.
    The other thing made clear in your feedback is that speed is important. Slowing it down was not a good solution, which is understandable.
    What’s Next
    Getting online with Neverstop should be simple and work well for most use cases. Here's the update:
    5Mbps up and down speeds are coming back
    Get 15GB of data per month. After this, you’ll still be online but with speeds good enough for emailing and messaging
    Earn a $1 credit for each unused GB
    Beginning today at 10am ET, everyone on Neverstop will get a fresh start at 0GB. Based on current usage, this change will have little to no impact for most of you, while still reducing strain on Neverstop. But, if you’re looking to binge watch Netflix 24/7, this probably isn’t the product for you. If that’s the case, head to our returns page and we’ll take it from there.
    Our mission is providing you frictionless internet connectivity. Now it's our job to continue iterating to make it happen. There’s a lot to be done.
    I got that same email today. Ohh well off the never stop. Good option for refuel for traveling purposes I know it's better than that of hotel Wi-Fi

Feedback Score
    To answer my own question, per their Twitter feed the post-15 GB throttled speed will be 64-128 kbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    To answer my own question, per their Twitter feed the post-15 GB throttled speed will be 64-128 kbps.
    So what are your plans? I'm waiting on an answer from unlimitedville since I have a business. Boost or MetroPCS?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yikes.

I almost kept the hotspot. Had Karma initially marketed 15gb for $50, I believe it would have been fairly well received. And getting credit back for gb not used is an interesting incentive. But, the way they handled their situation - which should have been obvious was going to be an issue - kind of shook my confidence in them. At this point I'd rather get my full refund while I can.

I have the unlimitedville plan which I'm happy with and will probably just add another line for our second hotspot. I test drove 4gas as well, but TMo is terrible out here. I hate having my eggs all in one basket since we have no alternatives out here, but it is what it is.

Feedback Score
    Yikes.

I test drove 4gas as well, but TMo is terrible out here. I hate having my eggs all in one basket since we have no alternatives out here, but it is what it is.
    Haven't heard of 4gas. Thanks for your input on unlimitedville.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffham View Post
    Haven't heard of 4gas. Thanks for your input on unlimitedville.
    4g Antenna Shop, there is a lengthy thread on here about them. The best way to find out what he is offering is a direct email. Robert runs specials that aren't always advertised on his site that are great deals - if you have TMo in your area.

Feedback Score
    4g Antenna Shop, there is a lengthy thread on here about them. The best way to find out what he is offering is a direct email. Robert runs specials that aren't always advertised on his site that are great deals - if you have TMo in your area.
    I bought my surf mini from them years ago. I didn't realize they had plans. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    They had to throttle below ~400 Kbps or so to stop the all day Netflix streamers, etc.. I don't know exactly where Netflix stops working, but 400 Kbps is enough to stream low res without stopping and buffering. I've done it.

Email and web browsing are tedious at 64-128 Kbps. I've done that too.

Feedback Score
    Currently as of 1/18/16
    $17/5 GB (promo)
    $35/6 GB
    $45/10 GB
    $60/20 GB

They include T-Mobile Binge On so your Netflix, etc. streaming do not use your GBs.

[Edit] I just noticed that they require Business application for service, service not for individual or non business related purposes, Federal EIN#, etc., required.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 01-18-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    I was going to say that 15 gigs for $50 isn't all that bad if 5Mbps is fast enough and you have the coverage to actually hit at least that speed. At the speeds I get here at the house I wouldn't have noticed they had throttled it.

Isn't the 4GAS 5 gig promo throttled too?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimindenver View Post
    I was going to say that 15 gigs for $50 isn't all that bad if 5Mbps is fast enough and you have the coverage to actually hit at least that speed. At the speeds I get here at the house I wouldn't have noticed they had throttled it.
    15 Gb for $50 isn't bad for cell data and 5 Mbps is fast enough for the things that most people do. As you say, getting 5 Mbps Sprint data is not a given - some do, many don't. I could live with 15 GB a month if I cut back on Netflix, but that is for a one person household.

Isn't the 4GAS 5 gig promo throttled too?
    4GAS lists all their plans as being throttled to 2G after the initial GBs, and require a business application for service. How much they fudge that is unknown to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    15 Gb for $50 isn't bad for cell data and 5 Mbps is fast enough for the things that most people do. As you say, getting 5 Mbps Sprint data is not a given - some do, many don't. I could live with 15 GB a month if I cut back on Netflix, but that is for a one person household.

4GAS lists all their plans as being throttled to 2G after the initial GBs, and require a business application for service. How much they fudge that is unknown to me.
    same way unlimitedville/impact wireless did it at first.......anyone/anybody......(then got more strict on requirements)

Feedback Score
    As I mentioned in the 4GAS thread. I called them to see what they wanted from our company so I could have it ready before I signed up, he asked for the companies name. That was it. A few minutes later I was signed up and the hotspot is on it's way.

Any chance Unlimitedville is as easy. lol

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimindenver View Post
    As I mentioned in the 4GAS thread. I called them to see what they wanted from our company so I could have it ready before I signed up, he asked for the companies name. That was it. A few minutes later I was signed up and the hotspot is on it's way.

Any chance Unlimitedville is as easy. lol
    Yes, I know 2 people who signed up for unlimitedville. They begged one of them to create a "business" name for the application. Service works better for them than Century link DSL where they live in the boondocks. I'm just curious when unlimitedville will become limitedville like the rest.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $80.99/month

Device(s)
    Galaxy Stardust, LG Sunrise, Hydro Vibe
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, RingPlus, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    $50 for 15GB at a pissant 5mbps, and only in Sprint's small coverage area?

Not even a Netflix streamer, but that's still laughable for anyone who lives, games and/or works online.

And in an era where Netflix exists, all caps should account for streaming 24/7.

A single hotspot can in fact be used by multiple people (e.g. a family) at all times of the day due to a lack of other service providers.

Then again, I supposed it's just easier to lie about LEGENDARY SUPER DATA HOGS when you're gutting the service people already paid for.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast