Does anyone know how to make a call from the US to Canada on a BYOP without
    creating an account that requires me to give them my IMEI? I am using a sim
    card phone. Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Are you asking because you don't want to create an account, or because you don't want the phone to get locked to TF? For a GSM BYOP, just provide the SIM number whenever TF asks for the phone serial number.

Feedback Score
    You have to create an account with tracfone, at least in the sense of activating and funding service, in order to make any kind of call including domestic. Doing so on CDMA requires giving some sort of IMEI. Doing so with GSM never does, neither has anything to do with international calling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by envsys View Post
    Does anyone know how to make a call from the US to Canada on a BYOP without
    creating an account that requires me to give them my IMEI? I am using a sim
    card phone. Thanks in advance.
    You call the Tracfone international calling number: 1-800-706-3839

Once you are connected, you can dial the international number, including the country code.

The rate is the same as regular minutes. It works very well.

Feedback Score
    I guess it is just doing a look up on your caller ID to confirm that you are calling from a tracfone?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cg1 View Post
    You call the Tracfone international calling number: 1-800-706-3839
    On TF web site, they advertise a new free app to make International calls directly from the contact list without having to dial the access number. That will help people with smartphones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    On TF web site, they advertise a new free app to make International calls directly from the contact list without having to dial the access number. That will help people with smartphones.
    Any app from Tracfone sound scary (like the latest MyAccount fiddling with WiFi settings).

I wonder if it's on Play Store and what the reviews are like.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    In the good ol' days, you had to activate international calling with the Tracfone-branded feature phone on your account, then you could call the 1-800 access number, wait a few seconds and complete the call by punching in your final destination. A bit of a work-around, and a hassle to get to work with contacts stored on the phone.

On CDMA android (LG34 or 41c), you should download the Tracfone Dialer app. If you direct-dial a number outside the USA, it will pop up automatically and ask you to wait a moment, and then complete the call automatically, about 95% of the time. It's a big improvement because you can load your Google contacts onto the phone and not have to worry about the access number.

As long as the device is activated for international long distance and on the Tracfone network, I can't see a reason for it not to work on GSM BYOP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Any app from Tracfone sound scary (like the latest MyAccount fiddling with WiFi settings).

I wonder if it's on Play Store and what the reviews are like.
    Tracfone International app 3.5* and many complaints
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.tracfone.ild

Anyone here have it installed? Comments from usage?

I don't think you need to buy the international calling card for $10 to use the app to make international calls like one reviewer found out.

Guess lots of those negative reviews could be from user error and not understanding you need a Tracfone and service time to use it.

Feedback Score
    See my comment above. Most of the reported problems are due to Tracfone's almost non-existent instructions not matching with the screen shot. Looking at the Google page, you would think that you have to bring up the app and use that dialer. Not so. Just use the phone's dialer and the Tracfone app will complete the call for you.

Canadian calls use the standard US number format, i.e. 1-###-#### and you're done.

According to the Tracfone site under "Basic International", that feature is now automatically included, so probably no reason to try registering for it. Calls to certain countries will be deducted from your standard minutes, so no need to buy the $10 card unless you need service to those outlying countries.

If it doesn't work with your native phone dialer, you can always ditch it.
    Last edited by buchrob; 01-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buchrob View Post
    See my comment above. Most of the reported problems are due to Tracfone's almost non-existent instructions not matching with the screen shot. Looking at the Google page, you would think that you have to bring up the app and use that dialer. Not so. Just use the phone's dialer and the Tracfone app will complete the call for you.

Canadian calls use the standard US number format, i.e. 1-###-#### and you're done.

According to the Tracfone site under "Basic International", that feature is now automatically included, so probably no reason to try registering for it. Calls to certain countries will be deducted from your standard minutes, so no need to buy the $10 card unless you need service to those outlying countries.

If it doesn't work with your native phone dialer, you can always ditch it.
    I tried using the 800 number to make the call to Canada and got a recording saying I had no prepaid minutes. So, I went online and tried to buy a $10 card for international calls and they said I had to first create an account. I went to
    create an account and they would not take my sim number but wanted my IMEI. I do not want to give out my IMEI so that the phone does not get locked to Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    I tried using the 800 number to make the call to Canada and got a recording saying I had no prepaid minutes. So, I went online and tried to buy a $10 card for international calls and they said I had to first create an account. I went to
    create an account and they would not take my sim number but wanted my IMEI. I do not want to give out my IMEI so that the phone does not get locked to Tracfone.
    You need a Tracfone with minutes/service to make international calls using the app - do you have that and are you trying to use your Tracfone to make the international calls?

I don't think you need that $10 card to make calls using your Tracfone ...... someone please confirm that . I thing the $10 card is needed to use a landline or non-Tracfone cell for international calls.

Feedback Score
    You do have a phone using the track phone service don't you?

If you don't, then you definitely need to, or at least get a sim registered and funded through their GSM BYOP program. As discussed above, not give them any ESN doing it that way, and then you can put the sim into any GSM compatible phone to use it to call the 800 number to make your international call.

Feedback Score
    And if you don't, why are you even considering using the track phone service for this purpose? There are plenty of very cheap calling card plans out there that would be much simpler for you to use from any phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    You do have a phone using the track phone service don't you?

If you don't, then you definitely need to, or at least get a sim registered and funded through their GSM BYOP program. As discussed above, not give them any ESN doing it that way, and then you can put the sim into any GSM compatible phone to use it to call the 800 number to make your international call.
    As I mentioned in my original post, I am on the BYOP plan an do not want to give my IMEI to tracfone. I have been using the byop plan for 8 months, just never created an account. They want an imei to create an account.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast