Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Am I beyond hope?

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Am I beyond hope?

I am a seasoned citizen who has enjoyed this forum for years and over a year ago, I purchased an LG41c and a LG34c that I ended up with basically for free. I have been off the forum for awhile....I am retired so I dont have lots of free time.....(dont laugh)
    I like Verizon service and I like my 41c. But I keep reading about people using BYOP and activating 4g/LTE phones on tracfone. I have two questions.
    1. Will or why doesnt TF just bring out a 4G/LTE phone I can buy and switch my LG34c over to?????
    2. If they do not wish to do this, I would like to try the BYOP business by switching over my LG34c to a new BYOP, but every time I read the threads on how to do this, my brain jumps out of gear and my eyes glaze over.....

I am not really technically challanged. I made my living fixing police communications systems...two way car radios, portable radios, radars, etc so I think I can swap in a sim card.

Maybe what I need is a simple set of instructions to follow...something like...
    1. Buy one of these phones on Ebay/Amazon (insert links here)
    2. Go to Wallmart/Ebay/Tf/ whatever and buy this "kit" or secret squirrel number or whatever
    3. Get on TF website after putting in sim and do this....

I am sure my advanced years dont make the alphabet soup of abreviations and jargon any easier...perhaps there is already a thread on BYOP for us older folk?

Feedback Score
    The Tracfone Sunset is 4G LTE and sold by HSN or QVC including other places.

Do you currently use mobile data on your phone much?

Reasons to get a BYOP is if you want a larger phone, more processing power (quad core, octa core), more RAM, newer Android version, etc.

There are BYOP threads and the BYOP canonical handbook to help you get started. Feel free to ask more questions.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    The Sunset runs on AT&T vs your current Verizon based phones:
    http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-sunse...nutes/10070867

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    The Tracfone Sunset is 4G LTE and sold by HSN or QVC including other places.

Do you currently use mobile data on your phone much?

Reasons to get a BYOP is if you want a larger phone, more processing power (quad core, octa core), more RAM, newer Android version, etc.

There are BYOP threads and the BYOP canonical handbook to help you get started. Feel free to ask more questions.
    The Sunset is on AT&T - not Verizon network as OP asked.

The other info on why and how to BYOP is good. To expand:

• on the question about mobile data - most low data users won't notice any difference between 3G and 4G
    • among the etc. of reasons to get a BYOP are other phone features like a better camera

Regarding "Buy one of these phones" - that depends too much on what's important to you (features, specs, new vs. used vs. refurb, price). If you give some of that info, people are likely to give some solid suggestions. That could be a $40 used Droid 4 or a $??? new iPhone 6s plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    I am a seasoned citizen who has enjoyed this forum for years and over a year ago, I purchased an LG41c and a LG34c that I ended up with basically for free. I have been off the forum for awhile....I am retired so I dont have lots of free time.....(dont laugh)
    I like Verizon service and I like my 41c. But I keep reading about people using BYOP and activating 4g/LTE phones on tracfone. I have two questions.
    1. Will or why doesnt TF just bring out a 4G/LTE phone I can buy and switch my LG34c over to?????
    2. If they do not wish to do this, I would like to try the BYOP business by switching over my LG34c to a new BYOP, but every time I read the threads on how to do this, my brain jumps out of gear and my eyes glaze over.....

I am not really technically challanged. I made my living fixing police communications systems...two way car radios, portable radios, radars, etc so I think I can swap in a sim card.

Maybe what I need is a simple set of instructions to follow...something like...
    1. Buy one of these phones on Ebay/Amazon (insert links here)
    2. Go to Wallmart/Ebay/Tf/ whatever and buy this "kit" or secret squirrel number or whatever
    3. Get on TF website after putting in sim and do this....

I am sure my advanced years dont make the alphabet soup of abreviations and jargon any easier...perhaps there is already a thread on BYOP for us older folk?
    Yes, the first thing you need to determine is whether you want to stay on Verizon or move over to the GSM world with AT&T service, where you have a lot more range of choices for BYOP phones.

Next step would be to determine your budget, lots of very nice modern Android devices available for under $200 in good condition, pretty good for a brand new as well even for less if you don't think you will be using heavy apps. Under $50 is possible just to get started.

Don't get too wrapped up in the complex threads here, everything you read here is initiated by people who have problems, the probably 98% for whom everything works just fine we don't hear from.

And if you do run into any problems we are here to help you!

Feedback Score
    Coyote Chris,
    Google AT&T prepaid coverage map and ask your friends if they have AT&T phones if you're not sure about coverage in your area.

As HansCT said, many unlocked GSM 4G LTE phones available that will work on Tracfone 4G LTE BYOP.

1. You need a new BYOP capable phone

2. You need a Tracfone 4G LTE BYOP SIM kit which you can order on Walmart.com or find at Best Buy or if lucky, find one at Dollar General for a buck. Suggest you buy at least two.

3. When you're ready, you can move service from your current Tracfone to the BYOP using website or chat.

First decide on CDMA vs GSM, then phone, then details on #3 above. Look for #2 if you're near a Dollar General because a buck is the best deal vs $3 or more at other places.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Coyote Chris,
    Google AT&T prepaid coverage map and ask your friends if they have AT&T phones if you're not sure about coverage in your area.

As HansCT said, many unlocked GSM 4G LTE phones available that will work on Tracfone 4G LTE BYOP.

1. You need a new BYOP capable phone

2. You need a Tracfone 4G LTE BYOP SIM kit which you can order on Walmart.com or find at Best Buy or if lucky, find one at Dollar General for a buck. Suggest you buy at least two.

3. When you're ready, you can move service from your current Tracfone to the BYOP using website or chat.

First decide on CDMA vs GSM, then phone, then details on #3 above. Look for #2 if you're near a Dollar General because a buck is the best deal vs $3 or more at other places.
    Ah...OK....I dont use lots of data but I thought 4G/LTE is faster? And 3G is going away? I had a TF ATT on my old non smart TF phone and it works fine on voice. Can I just buy a Sunset and port my number over to it from my TF Verizon LG34c? As I said, I have been off the forum awhile and didnt know TF did bring out a 4G/LTE...

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Coyote Chris...Your last idea is the easiest way to go.Almost foolproof,but you can always come here to ask questions.The only problem I can see is if you are trying to go from CDMA(verizon) to AT&T,but if you go to TF Facebook there is a chat option that will walk you through.Good Luck, fellow retiree....

Feedback Score
    Actually there should be no problem transferring from a Verizon CDMA tracfone to the AT&T side on GSM, it just might take a little longer for the service to complete the transition.

Feedback Score
    Ah...OK....I dont use lots of data but I thought 4G/LTE is faster? And 3G is going away? I had a TF ATT on my old non smart TF phone and it works fine on voice. Can I just buy a Sunset and port my number over to it from my TF Verizon LG34c? As I said, I have been off the forum awhile and didnt know TF did bring out a 4G/LTE...
    LTE is faster - but how much time do you spend waiting for webpages to load or downloads when using mobile data? That's all that will get faster.

2G is going away (AT&T most immediately) - but 3G will be here long enough to wait for significant time and significantly better phones.

Feedback Score
    If you buy the Sunset from the HSN link I gave, you get an extra year and 1200/1200/1200 plus case, phone, etc for $130 plus tax.

You probably won't notice 3G vs 4G difference. Mostly marketing hype for low mobile data usage people.

Notice from the last HSN picture that the power and volume buttons are on the back of the phone.... Okay with that? Just takes getting used to.

The Sunset has no physical home button on the front, as it has all soft buttons on the display. Many new phones are like that now.

Should be a piece of cake to transfer service over from Fuel first using the Tracfone website or chat if you prefer human help. It could takes hours to 2 days to port the Fuel phone number to Sunset and finish activation due to Verizon to AT&T move.

Once the Sunset is working, then you follow HSN instructions to add promo bundle to the Sunset.

You will be going up from the 3.5" Fuel screen to 4.5" Sunset.

Are you sure you don't want to get at least a 5.5" screen? Then you have to go BYOP to get a 4G if that's on your list.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Folks! The true screen size of the the 41c is 4.5 so I would want nothing less than that. 5.5 would be perfect. I wouldnt give up the 41c...but it would be interesting to try the Sunset, except you are right, I dont think the volume and on/off need to be on the back, so that's out. I really only use data when I am traveling....weather radar, navigation and such....and on the motorcycle a second fone doesnt take up much room.
    So that leaves me with trying a BYOP or waiting till TF brings out a big screen 4g/LTE (I dont use the L34, I just carry it for a spare and it is accumulating minutes...too small for me.)..if things slow down here, I will research steps on how to do a BYOP , so simple even a cave man can do it!!!!

Feedback Score
    First you got to decide how much you want to spend on a new phone, how big, etc.

Buttons on the back are great - I have a phone with those.

You could be the first to buy this and Tracfone BYOP it:
    http://www.hihonor.com/us/products/m...hones/honor5x/

Amazon taking pre-orders for $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Honor-5.../dp/B019O8YWR0
    Last edited by tfusr19; 01-06-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone already has a 5.5 inch phone, unless you are married to the LTE plan, but as phone bob says, you don't really need the extra speed and 3g isn't going away soon.
    http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-quar...uggested=True&

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    Tracfone already has a 5.5 inch phone, unless you are married to the LTE plan, but as phone bob says, you don't really need the extra speed and 3g isn't going away soon.
    http://www.hsn.com/products/zte-quar...uggested=True&
    I'd say be aware that it has Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (according to listing) which is quite old compared to the later Kit Kat, Lollipop, and the latest Marshmellow.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast