Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2016 US AT&T Network Predictions

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That's not true for Idaho, or Utah, AT&T covers both states fairly well.
    AT&T Coverage maps for both states are vastly overstated. In fact T-Mobile now has more LTE in UT than AT&T.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    AT&T Coverage maps for both states are vastly overstated. In fact T-Mobile now has more LTE in UT than AT&T.
    I thought you were MIA It's pretty good in the former Edge Wireless areas in Southeastern Idaho at least. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year bro!
    Last edited by ilvla2; 01-01-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Now that AT&T has ended two year contracts they soon intro new plans that make no consideration of two year contracts.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    TMO covers half of ND and about 65% of SD.

ATT covers the Dakotas pretty well.

Sprint is also expanding more into the Dakotas this year as well with activity currently in Rapid City.

The smaller carriers are expanding their networks into rural areas and trying to improve their existing ones.

ATT though needs to up their LTE game though. It's a patchwork.

Feedback Score
    I don't respect GSM shutdown again

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jecko View Post
    I don't respect GSM shutdown again

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They need to work on their coverage and backhaul up here in Mendocino County in rural Northwestern California, T-Mobile has really been showing them up. Just an example, we went up to Willits (about 14 miles north of us in Redwood Valley) on Christmas to Lumberjacks for dinner, and to my surprise I had better coverage on US 101 and solid LTE the entire way with T-Mobile, AT&T dropped to HSPA in several spots, and coverage was actually worse, what a change from just a few months ago! Even in Ukiah and Redwood Valley, AT&T speeds have tanked, especially during peak hours, and this is a very rural area. AT&T can't rest on their laurels, but that's what they have been doing.

That said, we do have VoLTE and HD Voice from them up here now, so that's one bright spot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I can second that. I've seen that T-Mobile did some serious work between San Francisco and Garberville. However, they still have some serious coverage and building penetration issues everywhere from Garberville to Crescent City with the only exception being the Eureka area. AT&T has been pretty strong up in the rural areas on the North Coast, but I have seen speeds decreasing more and more during peak times. On Cricket, we usually get around 8-9mbps down and 16-20mbps up with 50ish ping, but in the past month or so that's dropped to around 5mbps, 10mbps, and 100+ ping. On AT&T speeds have came from 55-60mbps down to 20-30ish, but with at&t the pings have stayed very low (20s). I've tested T-Mobile up here recently and the speeds were fantastic! I did a few speed tests throughout the day and each one turned around 40mbps down and 20 ish up. The pings were also under 100. Still, the building penetration issues are very evident, and I couldn't get a signal indoors. (3 bars outside, 1 bar if you were lucky once you were moving around in the house)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    I can second that. I've seen that T-Mobile did some serious work between San Francisco and Garberville. However, they still have some serious coverage and building penetration issues everywhere from Garberville to Crescent City with the only exception being the Eureka area. AT&T has been pretty strong up in the rural areas on the North Coast, but I have seen speeds decreasing more and more during peak times. On Cricket, we usually get around 8-9mbps down and 16-20mbps up with 50ish ping, but in the past month or so that's dropped to around 5mbps, 10mbps, and 100+ ping. On AT&T speeds have came from 55-60mbps down to 20-30ish, but with at&t the pings have stayed very low (20s). I've tested T-Mobile up here recently and the speeds were fantastic! I did a few speed tests throughout the day and each one turned around 40mbps down and 20 ish up. The pings were also under 100. Still, the building penetration issues are very evident, and I couldn't get a signal indoors. (3 bars outside, 1 bar if you were lucky once you were moving around in the house)

I wish T-Mobile would get their planned site in Leggett up, the Mendocino County Planning Commission approved it over THREE YEARS ago, and it still hasn't been put up. It would fill in a big gap in GSM coverage there, as you probably know. I have no idea why they're dragging their feet, surely they didn't go to all the effort and expense of applying for and getting it approved, only to walk away.
    Last edited by ilvla2; 01-30-2016 at 03:32 AM. Reason: ,

Feedback Score
    I wish T-Mobile would get their planned site in Leggett up, the Mendocino County Planning Commission approved it over THREE YEARS ago, and it still hasn't been put up. It would fill in a big gap in GSM coverage there, as you probably know. I have no idea why they're dragging their feet, surely they didn't go to all the effort and expense of applying for and getting it approved, only to walk away.
    Does ANYONE still care about GSM coverage?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Yes I do. GSM is great for voice and text and covers a larger area than 3G and LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotlte View Post
    Yes I do. GSM is great for voice and text and covers a larger area than 3G and LTE.
    There going to have to add more towers if they want coverage as good as GSM :/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Until universal LTE roaming among carriers is a reality, GSM, EDGE and GPRS will remain important. Up here, AT&T and T-Mobile roam in-market onto each other in dead spots (as do Verizon and U.S. Cellular onto each other), so a T-Mobile site should give both GSM carriers coverage there, currently AT&T and T-Mobile have zero coverage there, while Verizon and U.S. Cellular have good coverage.

That said, I'm glad we have Highway Call Boxes here, most are cellular based, but some here are now satellite based.

http://www.mendocinocog.org/safe.shtml

http://www.mendocinocog.org/pdf/Mend...es-Feb2014.PDF

http://www.mendocinocog.org/pdf/News...2014-01-17.pdf

"Mendocino SAFE plans to infill satellite call boxes on state highways countywide, wherever
    service is poor or unreliable. The countywide system now includes over 80 active boxes. The
    California Highway Patrol responds to calls through its dispatch center....... While some urban areas have been removing their call boxes, instead using funding for roving
    tow trucks and other traffic management services on state highways, rural agencies such as
    Mendocino SAFE still experience a demand for call box services on remote highways. The
    proliferation of cell phone usage is well known; however significant gaps in coverage are expected to
    remain in rural Mendocino County. Call box deployment may be most valuable in those areas."

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I still value non lte. Without it my phones would struggle at times. I still hit plenty of non lte spots on all the carriers and making calls is still nice in an emergency.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My predictions: they'll spend another $12-$13 billion on their wireless network, and it'll continue to work well. They'll probably branch out into small cells too.

And, more than likely, AT&T will continue to add new coverage in rural areas. Now that AT&T has shown they want to be the one-stop destination for connected cars and IOTs, they need coverage on almost every road. Too, if AT&T wants to win the FirstNET bid, they'll need to have coverage covering every nook and cranny anyway.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I predict volte will cover most of the coverage map by the end of 2016, I also expect at&t to improve coverage on California and Oregon highways (right now it's hit or miss, a few highways are Swiss cheese, and the others are non existent.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast