Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thoughts on Sugar Mobile

Anyone brave enough to be a guinea pig and try Sugar Mobile? It's run by ICE and runs off Wifi, like Google Fi.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/12/24/su...co-status-quo/

https://www.sugarmobile.ca/

Opinions? Reviews?
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I hate iristel in any capacity. So I'm out. But this is actually pretty brutal considering what you're paying for. One would be better off getting a Bell Sim card on a tablet flex plan. That's $20.00 /month for 1GB vs $20.00 /month for 200MB which you get with Sugar. I don't see any value in this. Unless I read it incorrectly, there are no actual network minutes offered, just vowifi... $20.00 for 200MB is very possibly the most outlandish asking price I've ever seen.

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am going to do everything that I can to encourage people not to support Iristel. Am I vindictive? Yes. Petty? Even more so. But Iristel as a whole is an awful company. Except for the guy who is actually responsible for Accounts Receivable. He seems like a pretty nice guy being held down.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am interested on Sugar Mobile too.

Bell's pricing may be different by province. In BC, Bell's BYOD Tablet $20 plan only has 500 MB. It is still more than Sugar, but then Sugar's 200 MB is available in both US and Canada. So no need for roam mobility when travelling south.

I am not familiar with Sugar or its parent company, but given the posting from forum list this, there haters for every phone company...surprise! :-o

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by blue20AE View Post
    I am interested on Sugar Mobile too.

Bell's pricing may be different by province. In BC, Bell's BYOD Tablet $20 plan only has 500 MB. It is still more than Sugar, but then Sugar's 200 MB is available in both US and Canada. So no need for roam mobility when travelling south.

I am not familiar with Sugar or its parent company, but given the posting from forum list this, there haters for every phone company...surprise! :-o
    The bell prepaid tablet plan offers 500MB which is still better value than what Sugar offers. With post paid, you get 1GB. There are different perks going either way (post paid or prepaid) but either way is better than Sugar.. The tablet plans also do not differ provincially, so no need to fret about that.

I also checked out there VoWiFi app. In my opinion, it looks ridiculous. I read an article from mobile syrup saying that it was buggy as well... So you get what you pay for.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Reading over their website it sounds like they cover Canada and the US, so it might be of some interest of people travelling to the US regularly. Especially given the larger numbers of WiFi hotspots there.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow, Iristel just cut off NetTalk users.

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Iristel, the bane of my existence. I hate them so much.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Wow, Iristel just cut off NetTalk users.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...during-dispute

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Again, it's no secret that I am not so fond of Iristel. I wrote this polemic to inform people of the awfulness that I believe to be Sugar Mobility or whatever. Anyways, they deleted this off of their Facebook (as of this moment) because it had several comments, so I thought why not keep it alive. If anyone can find any holes in it, I'd appreciate it. I'm always trying to strengthen my justification for my hatred for Iristel:

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ANYONE CONSIDERING THIS SERVICE TO LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR BETTER VALUE:
    If any Sugar Mobile Rep can prove my findings wrong I will be more than glad to amend my opinions, but until then they are as such!
    I apologize for the essay, but I hope to save some of you some money. Chances are that if you're using this service then your goal is to save money. I hope this helps you even more so!
    I like the idea of an affordable Canadian MVNO. The issue, as it seems to me, is that Sugar Mobile is barely offering any value. At $20.00 /month, you receive 200MB of data. For $20.00 /month with a certain other carrier who will go unnamed (because my point isn't to steer anyone in any particular direction. I already gave my particular recommendation in my Play Store Review) you could get 1GB (or 1024 MB). That's hardly comparable pricing.
    Now, realistically 200MB is an adequate amount of data for some, but it may not get other users very far. Let's assume that you use your 200 MB of data before your month is over. That's fine! For only $20.00 extra (according to MobileSyrup) you can purchase an allotment of 500MB more. Now you're sitting at $40.00 for that month with 700MB of usable data. I'm not seeing the value. Especially when we note that with our unnamed carrier(s, in this case) you can actually get 5GB of data for $35.00 also on a prepaid plan! $5.00 less for 4.3GB more data? That seems much more reasonable.
    Sugar Mobile does offer a sort of data rollover perk but honestly at $20.00 /month for the basic plan with 200MB, it's really a moot point. Sure, what you don't use rolls over (unlike with our other carriers) but good luck accumulating 1GB of data.
    Now, to Sugar Mobile's credit, the Canada/ US freedom of use is a useful gimmick. I will say that this is progressive and arguably the only thing that makes this service interesting. All and all though, not really. In my opinion (as someone who has sampled many VoWiFi apps) there are still other, better, VoWiFi apps and American carriers also offer data only plans. I don't mean to spoil the surprise waiting in the states for my fellow Canadians, but... most American plans offer greater value as well.
    And to conclude with an opinion (even at risk of sounding whiny) that is entirely indicative of my personal experience with Iristel (the company offering the Sugar Mobile service), and which is in no way an absolute: They haven't been exceptionally kind to me. I wanted a particular phone number and they reserved it for me. Then they realized that I REALLY wanted it (for personal reasons) and they tried to cancel my reservation. They first told me that I would have to pay just over $100.00 to re-reserve it (which I actually agreed to pay).Then they told me that I could not have it unless I was willing to pay around $1500.00 in total. I emailed them and told them that I was going to contact the CRTC and then they "gave" it to me. Ever since, they have never reset my self-serve portal (in spite of me asking twice), so I can't access any of my phones features from my computer and calling in just makes me feel uncomfortable (because it's a relatively small company and I feel like and it seems that everyone I've ever spoken to was also present in the phone number debacle).
    Anyways, I hope that this examination can help some people! Perhaps you as a reader have had a better experience with Iristel then me. I want to think that the reps are nice, but I personally don't feel like they want to help me when I have an issue. Should my opinion of Iristel scare you off? No. Should the value of their offered pricing plans? Yes.
    Tl;DR
    These plans are bad. Look harder almost anywhere else and you can probably find something that will work better. Also, working VoWiFi apps can be frustrating unless you really know what's going on and why your service is or isn't working.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    CBC late to the party. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/suga...less-1.3423513

Samer Bishay is the CEO, so add that to Iristel and netTALK (depending on who you ask)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I too am thinking about at least trying this out but now also considering going with a tablet plan from bell (been with bell for a while now). Two major questions that I have going with the tablet plan though is am I going to be able to keep my phone number this way and will I lose phone functions like voicemail and call waiting?

What are some of the best options for apps for phone calls and texting going the tablet plan route?

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Whatsapp phoning is exceptional. Outside of that there are many VOIP providers that work great.

Carrier(s)
    Solo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuostic View Post
    I too am thinking about at least trying this out but now also considering going with a tablet plan from bell (been with bell for a while now). Two major questions that I have going with the tablet plan though is am I going to be able to keep my phone number this way and will I lose phone functions like voicemail and call waiting?

What are some of the best options for apps for phone calls and texting going the tablet plan route?
    You obviously didn't read my essay. ��
    Go with Bell and the tablet plan. You can sorta keep your number, insofar as you port it in... On a flex plan (which is what you'll probably be using) you can't add on call features, but don't fret. If you REALLY want to keep your number, you can port it into Fongo for $25.00. I personally recommend Nextplus, though. It's the VoIP app which I use. I adore the app and the staff. Nextplus has voicemail and a sort of call waiting (the option to mute during call). Fongo has more calling features, but nextplus has better call quality. Sample them if you'd like. They're both free and you can get a standard phone number with either (unlike whatsapp).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_KeyKong View Post
    You obviously didn't read my essay. 😉
    Go with Bell and the tablet plan. You can sorta keep your number, insofar as you port it in... On a flex plan (which is what you'll probably be using) you can't add on call features, but don't fret. If you REALLY want to keep your number, you can port it into Fongo for $25.00. I personally recommend Nextplus, though. It's the VoIP app which I use. I adore the app and the staff. Nextplus has voicemail and a sort of call waiting (the option to mute during call). Fongo has more calling features, but nextplus has better call quality. Sample them if you'd like. They're both free and you can get a standard phone number with either (unlike whatsapp).
    Do you know if nextplus allows number port ins? How's the call quality over LTE? I used to use Fogo over Fido LTE and it was quite choppy at times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast