Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: WIND Sold to Shaw for $1.6B

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    West Face Group Poised for Sixfold Return on Wind Sale to Shaw

http://bloombergtv.ca/news/west-face...-sale-to-shaw/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Why Veritas says sell Shaw despite Wind Mobile buy

http://bloombergtv.ca/news/industrie...nd-mobile-buy/

Device(s)
    Samsung S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Now watch once this deal goes through Shaw sells itself to Rogers! ;-)
    Promo 50 = Unlimited Talk (US n Canada), Worldwide Txt, MMS and Data Home network (8 gig throttle)
    Roaming 2400 mins, Unlimited Global Txt, 1 Gig Data than Throttled but hasn't happened yet Used 5 gigs full speed in Florida

Rate= $50 - F&F 35% off (life until I cancel Line) plus BTS = $27.50 a month

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    Krstajic remarks on value to WIND of Shaw's fibre backhaul.

with new network 'opportunity to launch new pricing models'

Victoria - 'a natural fit for WIND's expansion'

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisidan View Post
    There would be issues with that with the competition bureau on some aspects of such a deal.

Shaws cable system is complementary to Rogers, not competitive, as they each have fixed service areas, Shaw in western Canada, Rogers in eastern Canada, after they each agreed to buy each others cable assets in their specific territories ages ago.

Shaws satellite TV business is competitive only with Bell as the only two such companies in Canada.

Shaw has Global TV while Rogers has Rogers TV, Omni and City, so this would be something that would have to be dealt with. Global, being the bigger entity would likely be kept while the smaller City would likely be sold. Telus could be an option to sell to, considering it has no media assets at present.

Wind, once purchased would be the other item of contention and would likely be sold off, but with no other "white knight" to buy it, it becomes a smaller fish in the big telecom pond. Shaw has the financial muscle to grow Wind over time, to take bites out of the big 3 as Winds coverage area and service levels grow. It could fall to Quebecor/Videotron, Bragg/Eastlink or even MTS or Sasktel to try their hand at becoming larger national telecom's, but it doesn't sound like any of them are interested in getting bigger.

It is possible that Rogers could buy or merge with Shaw, but the family dynamic of each company prevents that in my opinion. They compete where they have to, but otherwise I think they want to set their own path in business. Wind is just the opportunity for Shaw to expand nationally instead of remaining a regional player.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisidan View Post

Industry Canada has a mandate to keep that out of the hands of the incumbents, so I don't see how a sale could occur.
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Krstajic remarks on value to WIND of Shaw's fibre backhaul.

with new network 'opportunity to launch new pricing models'

Victoria - 'a natural fit for WIND's expansion'
    I can see a bigger build in AB and BC coming, especially onto Vancouver Island and around Calgary, Edmonton and the highway 2 corridor between the two. Wherever Shaw has cable service will be new expansion areas for Wind to go into.

In ON, I could see more towers in the GTA and a push to complete the 401 from Windsor to Kingston and on to Cornwall and up to Ottawa. How long any of this takes, time will tell of course.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    It is possible that Rogers could buy or merge with Shaw, but the family dynamic of each company prevents that in my opinion. They compete where they have to, but otherwise I think they want to set their own path in business. Wind is just the opportunity for Shaw to expand nationally instead of remaining a regional player.
    Shaw is a public company but it is effectively family controlled and I think the Shaw family prefer being in control.

http://newsroom.shaw.ca/materialDeta...lID=6442451714

Rogers is surprisingly controlled by the Bank of Nova Scotia according to the CRTC. But it might just be the trustee of the Rogers family.

The Bragg family privately owns their cable companies and Eastlink. It is closely held by the Bragg family of Oxford, Nova Scotia.

According to Wikipedia, on Quebecor: "It was founded by Pierre Péladeau, and remains run by his family." The CRTC shows by how much.

So... notice the similarities between these big telecom/media companies? Family owned and they like it that way. Bell and Telus are publicly owned rather than family owned.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...ireless-telus/

There may be competition between Shaw/Wind and Telus yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Alek says that Wind has over 50K iPhones on the network now. Once LTE is available, Wind should become Apple authorized.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/12/18/sh...ll-the-iphone/

Alek Krstajic, Wind’s CEO, said during an investor call this week that he has “started some conversations with Apple” about selling the iPhone, but they required a more robust network, particularly one with 4G LTE, to partner with the carrier. “Without the iPhone we have a very solid lineup,” Krstajic said, but also called out the excess of 50,000 SIM-only iPhone users that live on his network. He said that due to the lower monthly plan prices, people are eager to purchase unlocked iPhones and bring them to Wind.
    There is also the issue of band support. Because Wind’s LTE network will largely rely on AWS-3 spectrum, which has only recently been codified under Band 66 by the 3GPP, the worldwide standards body responsible for radio wave classification, new handsets, including the 2016 version of the iPhone, will need to support the new band to be compatible.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Gold), Apple Watch Series 4 (44mm - Stainless Steel), MacBook Pro 15” (2017)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    Best birthday gift for WIND ever.
    Do you think so Jonavin?
    I can't tell if I should be excited or not! I'm worried we will just end up with a fourth incumbent. I'd be happy with a EastLink or Videotron kind of regional carrier where it is marginally more affordable but I don't know if that will happen!
    Keegan Goerz
    iPhone XS Max (Gold - 256GB)
    Apple Watch Series 4 (44mm - Stainless Steel)
    MacBook Pro 15” (2017 - Space Grey)

TELUS Mobility
    $30/month - 12GB

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Gold), Apple Watch Series 4 (44mm - Stainless Steel), MacBook Pro 15” (2017)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LandlineFree View Post
    So what kind of spectra does Shaw have? Anything in the <2GHz range?

The next merger you think?
    Unfortunately they have nothing more than what they get from WIND. So AWS-1 and AWS-3 spectrum.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I believe that the plan has been in the works for a long time. Rogers and Shaw have always been cozy and there is no doubt in my mind that this deal was planned when WIND received free spectrum from Rogers. It's the only way that that would be financially viable.
    I believe that one of two things will happen. Shaw will partner with Rogers and they will build their network together like Telus and Bell do. Currently with Rogers operating their own network individually it costs them about $1billion more annually to do maintenance when compared to the other two who share he load. Especially with 5G a few years out it would make absolute sense for them to build together.

Option two is also viable. It is where Rogers straight out buys Shaw. It is right in line with Guy Lawrence's vision of vertical integration. Due to the non-compete Rogers and Shaw have, Rogers only operates a wireline business out east and Shaw does the same out west. This way Rogers could continue their full vertical integration strategy across the country. It would explain the Mobilicity spectrum deal where Rogers gave WIND free spectrum. Maybe they did this knowing a Shaw WIND merger was on the table. The last reason is that the Shaw family has been pulling their stock out of Shaw for a while now. It all kind of smells like Rogers wants to expand west to better compete across the country.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...haw-wind-deal/

Prices go down, prices go up. Same can be said for wireless prices I guess. :$

I looked on Shaw's website but they don't really have a "coverage area" map showing which cities and towns Shaw operates cable TV in, other than western Canada and northern Ontario.

Fort Frances is one place Shaw operates, right on the US border near International Falls Minnesota, so that might be one of those future expansion areas. Competition with Bell and TBayTel for this one.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast