Thread: FAILED 2 amp usb chargers

Feedback Score

FAILED 2 amp usb chargers

I purchased this PowerJive USB Power Meter and Tested SEVERAL usb chargers here at the house and NONE pushed over 1 amp to any of my devices...!!!
    I even tried 2 of my Apple (2 amp) usb power adaptors that came with both my iPad's and to my shock Neither of those 2 chargers supplied 2 amps... What i actually got was .98 amps max and average was about .76 amps from 2 dead iPad batteries to fully charged..!!
    I even tried several of our iPhone 4S's 1 amp chargers that came with them and got the same results.. Max of .95 amps and average of .75 amps from dead battery to fully charged...
    I also used my son's Galaxy S3 on multiple usb chargers & the power bank and the same thing, less than 1 amp of charging juice... from empty to fully charged...
    I also have a 20k mAh power bank from Anker and it also is supposed to supply 2.4 amps PER port for a total of 4.8 amps .. I plugged in both iPad's and both iPhone 4S's and Galaxy S3, NEVER got anything over 1 amp from each port...
    So i thought maybe it was the PowerJive itself not reading properly so i broke out my DMM and hacked one iPhone 4S charging cable & a micro USB charging cable and wired in my DMM on the RED power wire and to my surprise... NONE of my usb chargers NOR my Anker power bank would supply over 1 amp....!!! And let me tell you that the DMM and this PowerJive tester were within .03 amps of each other..

So here is the great question... Are we getting false advertisements on these so called "2 amp" usb chargers or these Power Banks that are supposed to supply 2 amps per port..?? Is it the cables..?? Or is it the specific device that tells the usb charger or power bank to push out 2 amps..??

I know when i purchased the 20k mAh Anker power bank it said that it would take 10 hrs to go from empty to fully charged when using a 2 amp charger & will take about 20 hrs while using a 1 amp charger... When i use my iPad (2 amp) charger it takes almost 20 hrs for this sucker to fuly charge, which explains WHY it takes almost 20 hrs for this battery pack to fully charge up because its only getting 1 amp at best from a 2 amp charger..

Something isnt right here... :-)

Feedback Score
    With USB power charging, nothing is pushing, it is the device that is pulling as much as it wants within the limits of the charging device.

So I would say you would need a more modern device to take advantage of the more powerful chargers

Feedback Score
    well more modern devices... i think not

i got my brothers ipad air 2 & my parents galaxy tab 4 10.1 and got the same results, never went above 1 amp and averaged about .83 amps. so my question is, WHY make a 2 amp charger if these devices wont even pull 1 amp..??

Feedback Score
    A quick Google found this

"Devices that support Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 include the LG G4 and G Flex 2, HTC One M8, One M9 andDesire Eye, Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge, Sony Xperia Z3- andZ4-series phones and tablets, Asus Zenfone 2 and the new Motorola Moto X."

Also, apparently rooting and doing custom roms, there are custom kernels out there that support fast charge, and apps that will let you know and control, but only if you have a supported custom kernel
    Last edited by HansCT; 12-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Feedback Score
    This whole 2 amp charger's deal is kinda mis-leading if you ask me.. People specifically BUY 2 amp chargers because they ASSUME the chargers give the phone or tablet a 2 amp charge for faster charging... When in fact its the Phone or Tablet Itself that has the ability to pull in 2 amps from the charger for faster charge....

And what makes it even more funny is the Apple 12W (2amp) chargers for their iPad's yet their iPad's dont pull 2 amps for charging.. i have 2 ipad mini's that came with the 12W 2amp chargers & my brothers iPad Air 2 which also came with the 12W charger yet NONE of them pull over 1 amp, YET they are shipped with 2 amp chargers.... And my parents Galaxy Tab 4 also has a 12W 2amp charger which also does not even pull 1 amp..
    And yes i know it just boild down to them being just a usb charger which will charge anything that can be charged via USB..

So if you are correct its those phones or tablets with qualcomm snapdragon processors which will pull in 2 or even 3 amps of current for QUICK charging.. So unless you have one of those qualcomm processor phones with quick charge... a 2 amp charger is worthless or even spending extra $$ for a 3 amp charger is worthless...

But what does the processor have anything to do with the battery and the batteries charging circuit to allow it to pull 2 or 3 amps in..??

Feedback Score
    Well you know what they say about *** uming. Caveat emptor, do your research etc.
    Since the custom ROM arena allows for special kernels on Android to an able to fast charging feature means that maybe it isn't limited to just the Qualcomm certified devices.
    But the development of the kernels that work with those Qualcomm CPUs seems to be the only place where stock Android kernels are enabled to allow for the fast charging.
    I also found references to charging from a computer's USB port being much faster than from the mains power chargers.
    As well as advice how to speed up charging in general for example going into airplane mode that's better.
    Google the topic and you may find some other useful bits and pieces

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    I also found references to charging from a computer's USB port being much faster than from the mains power chargers.
    Well i tried to charge 5 different devices (iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, iPad Air 3, Galaxy Tab 4, iPhone 5S from 3 different brand laptops (Dell, Macbook Pro & HP) using the USB 3.0 ports and all only got .45 amps MAX with an average of .37/.38/.39 amps consistently. And this was with each device powered ON and powered OFF... The same amount of current was pulled as if the laptop was limiting the amout of current to each device.. Very interesting readings

As well as advice how to speed up charging in general for example going into airplane mode that's better.
    Well that is an obvious because the radio transmitter, Wifi & Bluetooth radio's are all OFF so the only things running are the screen and software in background... So while the phone is still only pulling in .83 amps, that current is being more efficient at charging the battery which in tern speeds up the charge rate even tho amerage remained the same...
    Same difference in charging the phone or tablet while its powered down... even tho its only "pulling" or "getting" X amount of current, that current is going direct to the battery which again speeds up total charge time...

But back to the main point of this thread.... from what i have seen and tested accross multiple devices & 3 different brand (2 amp) chargers, i have not seen anything more than 1 amp of current draw...

Maybe if i can find someone with one of the above phones that have this qualcomm quick charge ability i can put it to test to see what it can pull...

Feedback Score
    Or get a cheap device with an unlockable bootloader and dive down that custom ROM rabbit hole. By the way seems like a whole lot of trouble for an academic exercise, but then again I spend a much higher proportion of my life answering people's questions here on howardforums than most people would consider rational 8-)

Feedback Score
    well... i have nothing but time. Im on vacation till the end of the year and go back to work on jan 2nd and i have already finished most of the projects around the house so im just picking up on some little things that ive always been curious about...
    especially this whole charging thing with tablets and phones because i have several 500mah chargers, several 1 amp chargers and several 2 amp chargers and always wondered WHY each device always takes the same amount of time to charge up regardless of which charger i use... because it all boils back down to that assumption deal.. a 2 amp charger "should" charge your device faster or maybe even double as fast as that 1 amp charger... but to my testing & finding from my devices, this is not true...

so as the most interesting man in the world would say...
    keep testing my friends LOL

If anyone still has their boost mobile pay as you go plan at $.10 per min ($.35 data) and want to get I'd of it, please send me a pm
    ------ No cell phone, No Tablet, No internet, No Computer, No Facebook ------
    -------------------- HOW LONG WILL YOU LAST -----------------------
    The Problem With Government:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ZPvqkzqeg
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think for themselves to see the lies & deception brought to them for a false reality

Feedback Score
    Yes have fun with it
    Quote Originally Posted by -banned- View Post
    so as the most interesting man in the world would say...
    keep testing my friends LOL
    I take it this is some cultural reference I'm not familiar with?

Feedback Score
    I take it this is some cultural reference I'm not familiar with?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Interesting_Man_in_the_World

ever seen this guy on tv commercials..?? His famous quote.. "stay thirsty my friends".... lol

Feedback Score
    No, I don't watch television, I have kids in the house. But thanks for clarifying.

Feedback Score
    yea im slowing weeding off the TV... too much crap on, The news media are full of lies, and too many reality tv shows...
    I only watch a select few shows and the one commercial that got my eye (and i dont know why but) was the one i showed you

Feedback Score
    I lived in a house that had a TV for a few years in the early 90s. Other than that growing up we were only allowed three hours per week and since then I've only seen them in public and other peoples places. My dad worked in the industry and very firmly believed it made people stupid. And I've only lived in America for a few years in my adult life anyway, so most pop culture references go right over my head.

Feedback Score
    My dad worked in the industry and very firmly believed it made people stupid.
    the way i see it... You have to allow it to make you stupid. If you allow it to make you stupid then its your own fault. Its the same thing about watching today's news media, most of it is all Lie's and Deception. I can go on and on for hours and hours of all the Lie's that we have been taught in school, and there is a reason why they teach is all the lie's at an early age, but as we grow older, FEW of us get wiser and smarter, look back and think.... HMM, something is NOT right here... Meanwhile the rest continue to believe the lie's without a 2nd thought. Ive taken my life in a different direction since march of this year and i have been awakened to the real reality of our world and the truth behind it and the more i hear from the public the more i am thankful that i dont fall into their matrix world of Lie's.... But that is another story..

BUT back to topic here something i found interesting and leads back to what you said about the device itself pulling in what it needs and some more google searching... Current is Drawn and not pushed... Our homes have ~150 amp svc to them meaning the house can pull up to 150 amps of current before the breaker pops... If the current was PUSHED into the house to every outlet then EVERY electronic item you plug in would blow up instantly.. but it does not because its the device itself that pulls what it needs...

I have a 20k mAh power bank that i just finished draining down using my iPad mini... when i went to charge it back up i used that tester i have and used the apple 12W 2amp charger... when i plugged in the power bank i saw the tester spike to 2.10 amps and hold solid for about 30 seconds then it dropped down to 1.95 amps and held solid there... ive been checking it consistently every 5 or so min and the current is solid at 1.95 amps... and its been an hour so far and its holding solid... This time i have a timer running to see how long it takes to fully charge now that i can see the tester actually SHOWING 2 amps on it where as before i didnt use the tester on it because i was too busy using in on the other devices... Im guessing with the 2 amps it should take a full charge in 10 hours as the specs say...