Thread: t-mobile hotspot fails with unlocked Samsung S3

Feedback Score

t-mobile hotspot fails with unlocked Samsung S3

I bought a used unlocked GSM Samsung S3. I like it very much, everything works well except for one thing: I cannot make any hotspot app work. I get the message "Mobile data is not available or invalid SIM." I have googled this message and it seems to be related to the fact that the phone was originally an AT&T phone, not a t-mobile phone. So even though it is unlocked, something is still locked to AT&T. I went to a t-mobile store and they told me to buy a new phone! I'd appreciate any advice. I do not want to root my phone.

Feedback Score
    Are you hotspotting within the official terms of your plan, or are you trying to bypass T Mobile's restrictions?
    Which hotspotting apps have you tried?
    What have you got against rooting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Are you hotspotting within the official terms of your plan, or are you trying to bypass T Mobile's restrictions?
    Which hotspotting apps have you tried?
    What have you got against rooting?
    1. Within official terms of plan. On my old phone (HTC-One) on the same plan, t-mobile hotspot worked fine.
    2. In addition to t-mobile hotspot, I tried FoxFi, HotSpot widget, OpenGarden, Wifi Hotspot tether.
    3. If I knew for sure that rooting would work, I'd do it. But rooting is complicated for a naive user like myself.

thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by school-tech View Post
    I bought a used unlocked GSM Samsung S3. I like it very much, everything works well except for one thing: I cannot make any hotspot app work. I get the message "Mobile data is not available or invalid SIM." I have googled this message and it seems to be related to the fact that the phone was originally an AT&T phone, not a t-mobile phone. So even though it is unlocked, something is still locked to AT&T. I went to a t-mobile store and they told me to buy a new phone! I'd appreciate any advice. I do not want to root my phone.
    Most Hotspot issues I have encountered are due to incorrect APN settings.

Here is T Mobile APN Settings. Also Make sure you input the apn type correctly that can cause issues with the hotspot as well.

Name: T-Mobile
    APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    Proxy: <Not set>
    Port: <Not set>
    Username: <Not set>
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy: <Not set>
    MMS port: <Not set>
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310