Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Binge On's effect?

Device(s)
    nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE USA
    Feedback Score

Binge On's effect?

This is the speed now on a Sunday night here in Daly City. Seems like 3g now has less traffic as I get 3-5mbps.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's hard to say because you only have one bar of LTE. That itself can lead to very slow speeds... it makes me think that might be the cause because in the first speedtest it struggled to get any upload. When towers are congested you usually get good/acceptable upload but slow download.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    HarborMobile
    Feedback Score
    Since Binge on started on a tower I used to get about 5-7mbps during peak (10pm in my area typically) I now get about 1-3mbps. Which I assumed more people were streaming video now since its unlimited. But its odd, because this means that three times more people than normal would have to be streaming. I really dont think binge on is really on the radar of the average joe yet.....
    1998 Nokia 5110 • 2001 Nokia 3350 • 2002 Nokia 3530 • 2003 Nokia 6800
    2005 HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125) (Stolen)
    2006 Nokia 6080
    2007 iPhone "2G" 4GB • 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB • 2010 iPhone 4 16GB
    2011 Galaxy Nexus 16GB GSM • 2012 Nexus 4 16GB • 2013 Nexus 5 16GB • 2014 Nexus 6 32GB • 2015 Nexus 6P 32GB
    Plan: Tmobile "10GB 4 all" 10GB for $20 my line (shared family plan)

Feedback Score
    I hope not because I like Tom and want to see them do well.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile launched Binge On to Reduce congestion which it should, however they added a second part which INCREASED congestion which is Unlimited streaming on a data package 3GB or higher

During my testing a 480P Netflix video (which by the way looks great on a iPad Mini, iPhone and a Desktop screen) pulled an average steady stream of 2Mbps, Multiply that by 30 people or worst case 100 people in the area..

Music freedom is Perfect, because each song from Pandora (for example) is 3-9MB.. Which you'll need a few seconds of bursting for highspeed data while Binge On is a steady stream rate of around 2Mbps.. Do you all see where this causes problems?

This is inside a T-Mobile store.. Upload speed higher than Download speed.. Great sign of congestion, Guess what video streaming uses... Download! Coincidence?

http://puu.sh/lvBVs/ac4dc903d0.jpg

http://puu.sh/lvBW6/992975d425.jpg

I've walked past TONS of people in the mall watching Netflix or Hulu, I briefly stopped and asked a few of them who their carrier was and they've said T-Mobile.

Worst of all, numbers wise if Binge On is added for YouTube (Which it will) What will you be using the High-speed allotment for? Loading a web page?

Say if I was on the 5GB Package because I stream videos, Now I can drop to the minimum 3GB package and stream all I want..
    T-Mobile looses from congestion from erecting new cell sites to alleviate congestion and people downgrading their data allotment because now that 'extra' 2 Gigs isn't needed now.

Oh, while you're at it if you've got Binge On enabled You can now also tether your iPads and your Laptops, Roku's and Whatnot and spread the congestion even more..

Before Binge On, I was getting a solid 7-10Mbps on LTE now I'm getting a mere 2-3Mbps

What Legere should have done was launch Binge On without the Unlimited streaming part UNTIL they've refarmed LTE into 15x15 or 20x20 in markets and get ahold of 600Mhz then do a Uncarrier X Amped for Unlimited streaming

GREAT IDEA, Bad timing is all

Device(s)
    nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    It's hard to say because you only have one bar of LTE. That itself can lead to very slow speeds... it makes me think that might be the cause because in the first speedtest it struggled to get any upload. When towers are congested you usually get good/acceptable upload but slow download.
    This is Monday morning when most people are expected to be asleep. So I guess it's affecting speed now. =(
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My speeds actually went up, I was averaging about 5Mbps at home, now hitting 11-12Mbps

There's a call center above the shopping center by my house so everyone but T-Mobile and Sprint seem to really struggle around my house due to congestion

Sprint is usually 60Mbps when you pull 2.5GHz and T-Mobile is now averaging 11-12, so far BingeON has been good for my area.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I am suspicious of Uncarrier moves in general. They're not free, you pay for them (considering you can go to MetroPCS and save $15-30/month for the same core service last I checked, that's effectively your Uncarrier surcharge). It keeps making things more and more complicated, when what I actually want is a big pipe under a simple offering, good speeds, good capacity, and a good price. These growing reports of congestion are alarming. I'm Canadian and have the option to roam on either AT&T or T-Mobile whenever I visit the U.S., and you bet that reports like this are going to be part of my decision.

And what is T-Mobile going to do about congestion? They have hardly any AWS-3 coming online down the road, and neither band 12 nor 600MHz will do much to alleviate congestion. They could further densify their network but that's costly. Whatever happened to "Data Strong"? Once the competition's AWS-3 comes online in 2017, or if Sprint ever started properly utilizing EBS, that advantage would be mitigated.

I wonder how many people don't even bother to use WiFi because their plan is unlimited, or at least their music and video streaming is. How is getting people to not even use WiFi when they can in T-Mobile's interests?
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    I am suspicious of Uncarrier moves in general. They're not free, you pay for them (considering you can go to MetroPCS and save $15-30/month for the same core service last I checked, that's effectively your Uncarrier surcharge). It keeps making things more and more complicated, when what I actually want is a big pipe under a simple offering, good speeds, good capacity, and a good price. These growing reports of congestion are alarming. I'm Canadian and have the option to roam on either AT&T or T-Mobile whenever I visit the U.S., and you bet that reports like this are going to be part of my decision.

And what is T-Mobile going to do about congestion? They have hardly any AWS-3 coming online down the road, and neither band 12 nor 600MHz will do much to alleviate congestion. They could further densify their network but that's costly. Whatever happened to "Data Strong"? Once the competition's AWS-3 comes online in 2017, or if Sprint ever started properly utilizing EBS, that advantage would be mitigated.

I wonder how many people don't even bother to use WiFi because their plan is unlimited, or at least their music and video streaming is. How is getting people to not even use WiFi when they can in T-Mobile's interests?
    T-Mobile's "congestion" is usually better than AT&T's speeds. AT&T has 2.5x the customers in less spectrum.

The OP here has very little LTE signal, so i'm assuming it's the main reason for their slow speeds.

Also the "uncarrier" moves have benefited me directly several times. The fact now that i can go to Canada or Mexico and use my phone just like it's included in my plan, stream all the Spotify and Netflix that i want, and can travel overseas and have free "slow speed" data while keeping my phone calls at a decent rate as well as free SMS (this helps as i go overseas quite often)

I am one happy camper at T-Mobile and will not be leaving anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    I agree with mjnoz unlimited video is not needed. Do you need to stream Netflix all I do not think so. Music freedom is fine because not much data is Bering used. They can buy unlimited. No-one needs to see tv shows while out and about. Wonder how many people abuse bing on. What else will be lef6 to use data. They will lewse money. They better not add YouTube. People need to stop taking things for free. I really like 480 streeming John rocks. As a side note Verizon speed test is slower for me.

Feedback Score
    As a former sales person at T-Mobile, we see someone at least once a day looking for T-Mobile as home internet because they burned that Comcast bridge. If hotspots work for this properly, usage will increase as people get T-Mobile just for the internet.

Sidenote, lots of people have no internet. Leaving their phones as the only source of internet usuage.

Feedback Score
    I say that is wrong. It is called mobile for a reason.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    T-Mobile's "congestion" is usually better than AT&T's speeds. AT&T has 2.5x the customers in less spectrum.

The OP here has very little LTE signal, so i'm assuming it's the main reason for their slow speeds.

Also the "uncarrier" moves have benefited me directly several times. The fact now that i can go to Canada or Mexico and use my phone just like it's included in my plan, stream all the Spotify and Netflix that i want, and can travel overseas and have free "slow speed" data while keeping my phone calls at a decent rate as well as free SMS (this helps as i go overseas quite often)

I am one happy camper at T-Mobile and will not be leaving anytime soon.

Uncarrier moves can still benefit you it you paid for them directly as an add-on, as opposed to indirectly due to T-Mobile plans costing more than MetroPCS plans.

AT&T having more customers in less spectrum doesn't necessarily mean speeds are slower. AT&T has broader coverage, and I suspect fewer AT&T customers have unlimited plans. And if that's the only measure, then AWS-3 coming on-line might redress that in whole or in part.

This is not the only thread with people indicating their T-Mobile speeds have been dropping recently, either. T-Mobile can only push so much traffic on their network before it starts to have a profoundly negative effect.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezula84 View Post
    As a former sales person at T-Mobile, we see someone at least once a day looking for T-Mobile as home internet because they burned that Comcast bridge. If hotspots work for this properly, usage will increase as people get T-Mobile just for the internet.

Sidenote, lots of people have no internet. Leaving their phones as the only source of internet usuage.
    My parents do this now and with unlimited streaming I'm considering it.

Feedback Score
    I say Bing is a really bad move.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast