Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who's Using RingPlus for VOIP only?

Feedback Score

Who's Using RingPlus for VOIP only?

I'm aware that different people have been having various levels of success using for voice calls R+ due to latency, clarity issues, outages, etc.

Is anyone using a R+ device as a daily driver by relying on VOIP apps (Talkatone, Hangouts, GrooveIP, Groundwire, etc etc) to make and receive calls over the R+ data?

1) How well has that been working for you? Is Sprint's network generally able to carry your calls without stuttering or failing? Does the other side complain about the connection?

2) What device & app are you using?

Feedback Score
    I am not. I have Verizon service via TracFone for daily-driver type voice calls. It is much better than either R+ voice service, or VoIP over R+ service when mobile.

I personally wouldn't try what you suggest because, even though I am in a Spark/LTE Plus area, the Sprint LTE signal here is not particularly uniform.

Good VoIP doesn't require particularly high speeds, but it does require a consistent, low-latency data channel. It works when stationary, but it can be noticeably wonky when mobile, when you change towers, are dropping packets, etc.

As data points I have had pretty good success using R+ data while generally stationary using the following apps on my Volt and 1st Gen Moto X:

Hangouts;
    the Vonage app
    GrooVeIP
    Obion (the Obihai app)
    the FreedomPop android app (for non FreedomPop devices)
    the LocalPhone app and service
    the Future9 Cloud Softphone app
    CSipSimple, using perhaps a half-dozen different VoIP providers
    (Callcentric, Future9, CallWithUs, CheapVoIPInc, CircleNet, Onesuite...)
    Zoiper, using perhaps a half-dozen different VoIP providers
    (Callcentric, Future9, CallWithUs, CheapVoIPInc, CircleNet, Onesuite...)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not, but early 2015 I left RingPlus for Freedompop (Sprint LTE) to use in combination with Google Voice/Hangouts VoIP for over half a year. Ultimately I came back to RingPlus because it was a subpar experience. Sprint's LTE network is full of holes and it didn't work too well with 3G. Worrying about not having good LTE signal to place calls and missed incoming calls annoyed me. I suppose if you live in a market with good LTE signal everywhere you travel (2 bars or more) then you should be good.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    It all depends on the Sprint LTE where you want to use it. I don't rely on VoIP over LTE but I've explored it. It worked fine for me with Hangouts while walking around my town. Not so well driving. In contrast, Hangouts on T-Mo LTE where I live is totally useful anywhere in town, including driving around. Get out of town though and neither carrier's 2g-3g data is fast/strong enough for reliable voice.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, everybody. I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    I use ring plus using regular voice outside of my home and work and 3 friends homes. I use hangouts for calls on WiFi at those locations. It does work while driving but the dropped calls are about equal with RingPlus voice and using LTE with hangouts.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    We activated an extra phone on a free RingPlus 1500/1500/1500 plan. I've done some random testing in a couple different cities making calls and texting via native app on Sprint LG G2. The G2 is a Tri-Band LTE phone. Thus far there have been no issues, service is same to my Nexus 6 on Sprint postpaid plan. Starting tomorrow the RingPlus phone will be used daily (Bend,OR. 97701).

Feedback Score
    Any positive reviews with RP+/LTE/VOIP?

Similar to OMP, I rely on TMO/LTE/Hangouts VOIP in my area. TMO's LTE is reliable even when driving. FYI, my ping is <10 ms. Hoped to hear good reviews for Sprint LTE network.

Feedback Score
    Update.

I have a R+ phone and I live right near a Sprint tower. It's pretty good sometimes, but not always. I wouldn't rely on it for a business line, job interviews, or other important stuff, but for a daily driver for personal calls it's doable. With FreedomPop it was a no go, but R+ has 3 advantages over FP:

1) You can fall back on their (admittedly crummy) voice call system if it happens to be a day without an outage.

2) Roaming, even though it's expensive, is good for emergencies.

3) They're giving away much more at the moment.

One important issue is 3G vs LTE. I'm having decent results with the original Moto G, a 3G (EVDO) only phone. Sometimes the ping is too high or the upstream connection too slow to make calls, but most of the time it's surprisingly decent. It seems to me that Sprint's 3G is slow but solid.

LTE, on the other hand, caused issues. On a Photon Q 4G I tested, I had better results forcing it on 3G only, than trying to use LTE, because the connection would keep going on and off 4G and mess it up.

The thing I'm not sure about is, this might be because the Photon Q only supported (Band 2) 1900mhz (edit - that's band 25 - thanks, brg!). Perhaps a Tri-Band phone like the Volt that was on sale would sustain a more solid LTE connection.

If so, it would make a somewhat viable option.
    Last edited by barryspar; 11-23-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Feedback Score
    Even if the quality of the data service went excellent voice quality, reliability is not good enough to rely on for the business purposes you mention, nor in my opinion for daily driver usage just an extra line

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Even if the quality of the data service went excellent voice quality, reliability is not good enough to rely on for the business purposes you mention, nor in my opinion for daily driver usage just an extra line
    Every carrier has their share of service outages. Also, there are lots of reports of people using their RingPlus lines for business.

I'm not trying to make any general statements about reliability -- in fact, just the opposite -- that issues of coverage, usability, reliability are often user- or location-specific, so it is hard to make any general/universal statements about RingPlus (or anyone else).

Feedback Score
    I have personally never experienced any service outage in the last 3 years on any of the top three networks. Just in the last couple of months significant outages have been reported for the ring plus service from all over not just one region. I do think some sort of general statement can be made from those factoids.
    In any case I was making it clear that the conclusion I came to is my own opinion, and I do think a personal recommendation is valid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Update.
    One important issue is 3G vs LTE. I'm having decent results with the original Moto G, a 3G (EVDO) only phone. Sometimes the ping is too high or the upstream connection too slow to make calls, but most of the time it's surprisingly decent. It seems to me that Sprint's 3G is slow but solid.

LTE, on the other hand, caused issues. On a Photon Q 4G I tested, I had better results forcing it on 3G only, than trying to use LTE, because the connection would keep going on and off 4G and mess it up.

The thing I'm not sure about is, this might be because the Photon Q only supported Band 2 (1900). Perhaps a Tri-Band phone like the Volt that was on sale would sustain a more solid LTE connection.
    Wow; those results are the opposite of most expectations.

I've tried the same thing in the past, and in my location Sprint 3G is simply unusable for VoIP. It's very slow, unreliable, and with horrible PINGs. LTE, by me, is much better even though it is nowhere near as good as it can be in other locations.

"Band 2?" Is that a typo? I thought 1900 on Sprint was Band 25 -- the primary/original/non-spark-or-"LTE-Plus" LTE band, and that the other bands were 26 and 41?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    "Band 2?" Is that a typo? I thought 1900 on Sprint was Band 25 -- the primary/original/non-spark-or-"LTE-Plus" LTE band, and that the other bands were 26 and 41?
    Yes, my mistake. Thanks for catching it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    I have personally never experienced any service outage in the last 3 years on any of the top three networks. Just in the last couple of months significant outages have been reported for the ring plus service from all over not just one region. I do think some sort of general statement can be made from those factoids.
    In any case I was making it clear that the conclusion I came to is my own opinion, and I do think a personal recommendation is valid.
    In the last three years, I have experienced a major data SNAFU with Cricket last fall (i.e. the Cricket Crawl) and a voice outage on ATT postpaid once before that. (That is when I decided to get a backup line on a different carrier.) After further research, it seemed that both of these issues were location specific.

Perhaps we are talking past each other with the word "general," as in a "general statement." I agree that it may be possible to make a general statement, meaning a statement that that speaks to the statistical tendency or likelihood of some event occurring (it sounds like this is what you mean). On the other hand, I think a general -- universal and always true -- statement is unlikely and untenable. Unfortunately, HoFo is replete with general statements of the latter variety (e.g., Why don't you get Verizon?!? Sprint sucks balls!!")

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast