Thread: Going with an MVNO and saving money

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Going with an MVNO and saving money

Hello.

I am currently on VZW and my contract just ended in October. My current bill is $60/month (plus tax). My current plan has 2GB data, but if I'm conservative on my usage, I can be below 1GB monthly.

My wife currently has a standard phone, but has been wanting a smartphone. She's currently on Page Plus Cellular. If I switch over to Page Plus, there's a plan for $29/month that would probably work for me (1500 talk, unl text, 1GB 4G LTE).

Total Wireless has a plan for $60/month, two devices, unl talk, unl text, shared 5GB data. Does Total Wireless have LTE?

We don't have to be tied to a VZW MVNO. If there's a better deal/service out there, we're willing to look at that. The only problem would be that if we switch to another carrier, such as AT&T I would need to get an AT&T phone. My wife is buying a phone no matter what because she doesn't currently have a smartphone.

I am open to suggestions, comments, feedback, etc.

Thank you
    Neal
    <><
    Neal Jacob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Photog4Christ View Post
    Hello.

I am currently on VZW and my contract just ended in October. My current bill is $60/month (plus tax). My current plan has 2GB data, but if I'm conservative on my usage, I can be below 1GB monthly.

My wife currently has a standard phone, but has been wanting a smartphone. She's currently on Page Plus Cellular. If I switch over to Page Plus, there's a plan for $29/month that would probably work for me (1500 talk, unl text, 1GB 4G LTE).

Total Wireless has a plan for $60/month, two devices, unl talk, unl text, shared 5GB data. Does Total Wireless have LTE?

We don't have to be tied to a VZW MVNO. If there's a better deal/service out there, we're willing to look at that. The only problem would be that if we switch to another carrier, such as AT&T I would need to get an AT&T phone. My wife is buying a phone no matter what because she doesn't currently have a smartphone.

I am open to suggestions, comments, feedback, etc.

Thank you
    Neal
    I'm on the Red Pocket ebay plan. They do Verizon or AT&T (or Sprint).

Be warned that it's
    1) very new on the Verizon (LTE) side. They may have occasional issues
    2) they dropped t-mobile some time ago, with very little warning to customers. it's anyone's guess whether or not the 1yr. plan will really make it
    3) 500MB at high speed, 500MB at ***very throttled*** speeds, though you can buy data (or voice or text) add-ons.
    4) 1000 min. / 1000 txts. or, an "unlimited text" plan for ~$230.

At $199 for a yr., that's $16.58/mo.
    If cost savings is your primary objective, it's hard to beat this plan. Get your wife a new Moto G, get the AT&T SIM activated, away you go. On your side, activate a Verizon one (which, you may have to call the # on the card they send out - I did...).

Other options

- lots and lots of people will probably say Cricket is great. They do have some decent plans. Would be worth checking out.

- Page Plus isn't bad. You could just get her a Verizon smartphone and head there. They're a more "established" Verizon MVNO than many others (including Red Pocket, who's very new to reselling Verizon service).

Feedback Score
    Hi Neal,

First order of business is to find out what kind of carrier coverage is available at your location. The big four carriers have coverage maps on their respective web sites. Below are two 3rd-party crowdsourced maps that maybe more informative:

http://opensignal.com/coverage-maps/US

http://sensorly.com

Once you know which network is accessible to you, you can then shop for MVNOs based on price vs voice/data packages. Sprint MVNOs have lowest prices, but Sprint coverage can be iffy. T-Mobile MVNOs aren't as cheap, but if you use lots of data (which you aren't), then it has best gigs-per-buck ratio. AT&T MVNOs are also very reasonable for light data users. Verizon MVNOs have the highest prices, relatively speaking.

For an excellent comparative overview of MVNOs, I'd suggest the below:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...and-plans.html

On phones: Smartphones are cheap and capable nowaday, and getting a new phone shouldn't be an obstacle. As we're on the cusp of Black Friday, many here are busy scoping out the best deals. As one example, BestBuy has the Moto E 2015 (Verizon) for $10 as its doorbuster sales. The Moto E is a very good phone. For your wife, and perhaps even for you, I'd suggest getting an entry-level phone to start out. The cost--$50 or less--is minimal, and may serve your needs well enough. Decide on the service, then shop for a compatible phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the heads up on the $10 Moto E. If I can do that online and without going into the store, I'll do it.

I've narrowed it down to either VZW or AT&T MVNOs. They both have the best service in our primary and secondary usage areas.

Feedback Score
    Consider Cricket if you can go with ATT. You can each get unlimited talk and text and 2.5 GB of LTE data (after 2.5 GB you still get data but it's slower) for $70 total -

But get into a group plan and it would only be $40 for the two of you.

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CricketGroups

Feedback Score
    Cricket phone deals: freebie Moto E, etc

http://prepaidphonenews.com/2015/11/...ay-offers.html

Note: Cricket phones are locked, and can be unlocked after 6 months service.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you Barry and e.mote.

I am looking at the best option right now. If I can get that Moto E for $10 for my wife, I'll do it. It looks like it's an in store only offer and there's no way I'm going to Best Buy on Thanksgiving or Black Friday (closest Best Buy is an hour away).