Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Watershed moment, or not... - the days of no competition are over.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Even in the greater Chicago area, AT&T has a stronger LTE signal than Verizon in most places. It's not hard at all to find places where you drop down to 3G or 1X in buildings but AT&T still has a strong LTE signal.

The only place Verizon really shines is out in the rural areas where there is little or no service from other carriers but Verizon is holding on to a bar or two of 1X.
    As a road warrior I've experienced this sometimes. And even then sometimes those bars of 1x seen on the display indicator don't even work when you try to use them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    All of the lines that I manage are used by people that live out in the fields and woods far from densely populated areas. Many of them can afford Verizon service just fine, but have come to realize the tremendous savings per month of putting their daily driver on a different network, or perhaps staying with the Verizon network and going through an MVNO.
    Some who travel a lot on business and feel they need to be reachable 100% of the time and therefore need the ability to roam, carry a flip phone on selectel for that purpose, but their $800 flagship daily driver is on another network.

Because they are mostly on Wi-Fi except for their commute time, many have a monthly carrier service bill but average is well under $20 a month, without any significant compromise in the quality of their handset or the functionality of their desired usage.
    How closely related are you to Baron von Münchhausen?

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There are so many wonderful things in this thread, I don't know where to begin!

1.) The Verizon Coverage map is static, not descriptive; therefore, coverage is not depicted in a "good, better, best" format. Instead, it's depicted in a format of "coverage, no coverage." AT&T and T-Mobile utilize the same method to portray "coverage." The only accurate coverage maps I have encountered are from Sprint and US Cellular. (and holy cow, sprint's coverage has some serious issue, but hey, at least they are honest about it).

2.) Verizon has a serious issue inside large buildings, we all know this. It's 2015, and I still have to go to a window to make a call.

3.) Competition is great, but Verizon and AT&T both know they are on top. T-Mobile, although more ambitious and polite, can't compare to the infrastructure of the two giants. Unfortunately, no company in the United States has gotten very far by being ambitiously polite.

4.) Bad phone reps work within every company. You just have to keep coming back until you get the right answer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    I think we've all had people "borrow our phones," for service from time to time. It's a big country though. There ARE areas where ATT has better rural coverage than VZ and vice versa. But perception can be based a lot of times on our travel patterns and geographic location.

VZ has made more strides to partner with rural carriers's to extend their LTE range whereas ATT does it more solo. We're talking about 308 million POPS covered in LTE vs 310.5 million if you include VZ's rural partners. Not that much of a geographic difference. When I was driving through Utah I had AT&T HSPA 4G in areas my Verizon device had no service at all.
    I agree. If eddiehaskell had said that "Verizon is not perfect", or "sometimes I have ATT when my buddies don't have a signal with Verizon", or "at our hunting cabin my buddies have to borrow my phone", I would have believed him. But, he stated "more often than not", which implies that most of the time out of multiple times. And, I called that BS and still do.

Feedback Score
    Yes in rereading that it definitely is not coming from an objective poster

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Just speaking my experience. I never meant always in everyone's case just more often than not from my experience. Maybe I should have said it different. Either way I think we can all agree, some spots Verizon is best, others att, tmobile etc. No one size fits all is what I was getting at. Verizon is good, I'll give them that but they aren't perfect and not the best choice everywhere in every situation.

Someone mentioned Verizon as being arrogant. In some ways they deserve to be but not in every way.

Feedback Score
    Yes I would hundred percent agree with the way you phrased the end of that there.

However if you take the square mile areas of the United States where only one of the duopoly offers decent coverage, I'd be willing to bet a pretty large amount of money that the Verizon area would be much larger than AT&T s.
    But the fact remains, that particular single issue is really not relevant to, nor interest to probably 99% of the US population

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In rural upstate NY, its a coin toss. In one 2-3 mile section Verizon will work better. Make a right turn and drive a mile and Verizon drops off and at&t works better. Location location location!!!

Edit: I have noticed 1 to 2 bars of 1X upstate is unusable, but usually with the same dbm of service edge/gsm works okay. VoLTE up there works great on at&t,better than WCDMA. Haven't used VoLTE on Verizon upstate yet. Phones camp on 1X quite often while driving out of the towns through Taconic and Berkshire mountains.

Feedback Score
    I know most people don't do this, but I have Verizon as my main carrier and have used an AT&T or TMO prepaid account for those times I am traveling and needed additional coverage.

Google Voice makes it easy to keep the same number, regardless of the device.

However, I also know that 99% of people would hate to carry more than one phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    I know most people don't do this, but I have Verizon as my main carrier and have used an AT&T or TMO prepaid account for those times I am traveling and needed additional coverage.

Google Voice makes it easy to keep the same number, regardless of the device.

However, I also know that 99% of people would hate to carry more than one phone.
    I actually kept a pre-paid T-Mobile flip phone in my car for a while. I would keep it in my glove box, in-case my car broke down on the highway and I didn't have my other phone. It was about $2 a month and I never used it, but the thought was similar to yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2