Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How long before sprint copies or tries to 1-up tmobiles uncarrier X?

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    Sprint Executive has chimed in: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ion/2015-11-11

Sprint CFO Tarek Robbiati also knocked T-Mobile's Binge On service. "I think the word 'binge' is very apropos," he said. "It looks like a hangover is going to come at some point."

Robbiati also said the "fundamental issue" with the Binge On plan is network and spectrum capacity, which he suggested will eventually become congested and hamper the service. "We don't have that issue," he added, noting that thanks to its trove of 2.5 GHz spectrum, Sprint has more spectrum than any other carrier in the market.
    Hahaha. Yes, but what are they doing with that spectrum? I think the biggest reason that what Sprint calls a network isn't congested and hampered is because they've lost millions upon millions of customers over the past few years. Maybe they should drift on down to become a 5th place carrier and brag about how fast their network is (for the 5 people who use it).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Hahaha. Yes, but what are they doing with that spectrum? I think the biggest reason that what Sprint calls a network isn't congested and hampered is because they've lost millions upon millions of customers over the past few years. Maybe they should drift on down to become a 5th place carrier and brag about how fast their network is (for the 5 people who use it).
    They can do more, as years move on more and more cellular equipment is developed.

Sprint is sitting on a pile of gold, it just has to wait for one of the OEMS to develop something to utilize all that spectrum.

Also it's pretty obvious you're a T-Mobile Fanboy/Girl judging with the MetroPCS avatar..

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
    .....This is network management while keep your customers happy.
    It's like a 12 Mpix camera on a cell phone. People think it's great but no one can see the difference. The human eye can't see 1080p or 4K on a 5" screen, you have to connect to at least a 40" screen to appreciate it.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Sprint Executive has chimed in: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ion/2015-11-11

Sprint CFO Tarek Robbiati also knocked T-Mobile's Binge On service. "I think the word 'binge' is very apropos," he said. "It looks like a hangover is going to come at some point."

Robbiati also said the "fundamental issue" with the Binge On plan is network and spectrum capacity, which he suggested will eventually become congested and hamper the service. "We don't have that issue," he added, noting that thanks to its trove of 2.5 GHz spectrum, Sprint has more spectrum than any other carrier in the market.
    Then one has to wonder why they feel the need to compress MMS and intercept images on the Internet and compress them for their users.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellDW View Post
    I don't see how any carrier can turn their head to this. The Verge was right, T-Mobile has too much power now. The biggest reason people have unlimited data has just been "whitelisted" and doesn't count against their data! With North American Roaming, Music Freedom, VoLTE, VoWifi and the benefit to seamlessly transfer from wifi to LTE, Video Binge, Buy out ETFs, No access fees, and competing data plans T-Mobile is far ahead the other three. If you live in a T-Mobile area then I don't see how you can't go with them. Personal I'm staying right here with Sprint, with my cheap iPhone Plan for $50 and my iPhone for $22 and calling it a day. T-Mobile couldn't beat that!
    Still need unlimited data because many of the video players that a lot of people use still hasn't been added. Hell T-Mobile is getting subs by having an improving LTE network and Volte ect.

Sent from my MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy Core Prime using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Then one has to wonder why they feel the need to compress MMS and intercept images on the Internet and compress them for their users.
    Sprint doesn't have an issue with spectrum capacity

only an issue with cell-tower placement/deployment of the spectrum

remember, T-mobile already offers unlimited music streaming (0.128 mbps, maybe 0.256mbps for high-quality streams)

If they do 480p at 0.5mbps*, it's not that much higher... yes, people will stream more, but some of them would go from [email protected]@5mbps to [email protected]*

(* these figures are for example... don't know what bitrate t-mobile has chosen. i think the minimum recommended bitrate is around 0.768mbps for 480p. any lower = noticeable loss in quality)

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It's like a 12 Mpix camera on a cell phone. People think it's great but no one can see the difference. The human eye can't see 1080p or 4K on a 5" screen, you have to connect to at least a 40" screen to appreciate it.
    I would think a lot of people will use this to watch Netflix etc on their home TVs especially when they are capped very low.

Can this be used to stream to another device?

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I would think a lot of people will use this to watch Netflix etc on their home TVs especially when they are capped very low.

Can this be used to stream to another device?
    if the phone supports hdmi out via usb, to a much larger monitor, using the mobile connection..
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j'vai View Post
    if the phone supports hdmi out via usb, to a much larger monitor, using the mobile connection..
    apparently, it should work if you're tethering

Yes, you can stream unlimited video from Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Sling, ESPN, Showtime, Starz and more without ever using your 4G LTE data and you’ll get 3 times more video streaming from your data when streaming video on almost all other services with Binge On enabled. Binge On™ works great to stream video to your tablet or even when you use your tablet as a hotspot to watch a movie on your laptop.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    apparently, it should work if you're tethering
    aah,

phone wifi hotspot

+

chromecast

home internet replacement!

(I joke I joke!)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    We all know sprint likes to copy tmobiles uncarrier offerings. John mentioned it today and it was actually funny. Sprint will try to spin tmobiles new plans into something sprint can counter.

I say by tomorrow sprint will try to offer similar plans
    No interest here, unlimited 'Framily Plan' $43/month.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The real question is how much cash is flowing to t-mobile for the free streaming from providers?

Feedback Score
    Supposedly none

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellDW View Post
    I don't see how any carrier can turn their head to this. The Verge was right, T-Mobile has too much power now. The biggest reason people have unlimited data has just been "whitelisted" and doesn't count against their data! With North American Roaming, Music Freedom, VoLTE, VoWifi and the benefit to seamlessly transfer from wifi to LTE, Video Binge, Buy out ETFs, No access fees, and competing data plans T-Mobile is far ahead the other three. If you live in a T-Mobile area then I don't see how you can't go with them. Personal I'm staying right here with Sprint, with my cheap iPhone Plan for $50 and my iPhone for $22 and calling it a day. T-Mobile couldn't beat that!
    The point of the article isn't even Tmobile specifically has 'too much power' - it's an ISP and all the ISPs have too much power. We have so little competition in this category - wireless or wired ISPs. Look at stories of that Indian company wanting to participate and the billions they'd have to spend at the 600mhz auction and other things to just even attempt a wireless carrier. Look at the huge outcry over Google Fiber and Google has money to burn on things like this and the scale to enact it and they meet with resistance. ISPs are scarily over-powered and the FCC sits there in awe as nothing happens.

Additionally - price is one area the competition can take Tmobile on with. I am happy to see it - Tmobile has steadily been raising prices yet the entire time calling out the Twin Bells for being expensive. The marketing machine is so full of hypocrisy it's somewhat funny if it wasn't so serious.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJoe View Post
    That Verge article and it's title just shows how poor quality the Verge have become. Very low media quality.

Besides that, what TMO did was to encourage people not to use high bandwidth video. That is the main item that most people are missing.
    Exactly - to think this was anything else is foolish. Is the irony lost you call The Verge out for being low media quality and Tmobile is attempting to enact low media quality streams.

Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    I am not touting the verge as quality media, but I 100% for sure agree with this article. Of course it is wonderful for t-mobile subscribers and the company, people love something for nothing.
    However the principle of net neutrality is critical to the future of the Internet and zero rating poisons the well. There should be *no* discrimination positive or negative based on the *source* of the data stream.

If the mechanism uses deep packet inspection and does zero rating based on the type of media being streamed, then fair enough that is fine - my FLAC or MKV collection streaming on my commute to my phone from my home nas or private cloud server should get exactly the same treatment as Apple or some brand new entrant into the competitive industry.

That is the only style of zero rating that would preserve the principles of net neutrality.
    I don't think anyone wants such deep packet inspection - it would slow things down and also be a major privacy invasion. Let's just keep real net neutrality where anything I want to connect to, they connect me to and give it to me at the speed promised or that I paid for.

What I mentioned in the T-Mobile forums is that I really think that this is Magenta's way of traffic shaping. They have lots of UDP users and because the Binge-On feature is turned ON by default T-Mobile gets to offer video but at a reduced network load. As a T-Mobile user you will actually have to turn the feature OFF if you want to stream at higher quality and the only way UDP users get a free movie rental as promised it to leave the feature ON.

Supposedly there is no application prioritization or any money changing hands.

I do watch video on my mobile from time to time but it's always in fits and starts. You'll never catch me watching a 2.5 hour movie on my iPhone.

We'll have to see how this turns out from a network load and whether Sprint, AT&T or Verizon will follow.
    That's why I've said youtube missing is a key to this - they couldn't handle it even at 480p quality. Most people watch youtube on their phones as things there are geared towards 10 minute office waits. Looking up a car repair video, product reviews, a video about your hobbies, etc.

It's scary that Tmobile just unilaterally decided to shape traffic - without proving it was causing any issues. Customers are opted in - not out. That's always a poor choice when it affects people in a negative way, even if they are trying to make this sound good, breaking net neutrality is bad. Auto opt-in for things like doubled data at no extra charge is fine obviously - consumer positive initiatives, not negative.

What's adversely affecting the network right now are 1080p and 4K streams to 5" screen phones. Hence their wasted data catch phrase.

By enabling this across all users and have select individuals opt out, it automatically fixes network issues almost overnight.

This is network management while keep your customers happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Wasted data? That's a very catchy phrase but a bit... short sighted. I, for one with bad eyes, can tell the difference between a 480p video on my Nexus 6 vs. a 1440p one. If you can't see the differences, that's on you. I'm glad screens are getting higher resolutions - the computer industry is slowly getting there, but you still see laptops sold with sub 1080p screens 3x a big as a phone. I generally hold my phone close to my face and you can tell a difference between 480p, 720, 1080, and 1440. Your eyes are more sensitive than you think.

Additionally, higher streams sometimes also involve higher audio quality. My Nexus 6 has stereo speakers, so you can notice bad audio and they typically have poorer audio on the 480p vs. 1440p. So, this isn't JUST affecting the picture, but the rest of the experience potentially.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    480p for FREE (will be good enough for 99% of phone users)

or

1440p and use your data plan.

It's your CHOICE.

What a great choice to have. Something not offered by other carriers. A "FREE" OPTION for watching video.
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 11-12-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast