Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Fido home internet service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0

    Montreal Fido home internet service

    Hello Everybody. As of November 1st FIDO has officially announced internally that they are going to be coming out with the HOME INTERNET service in 2016. So far this is the only information. More to come in the next months perhaps with prices and plans availble.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
    Posts
    6,597
    Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm currently on the grandfathered unlimited data plan so unless it is less than $50/month for unlimited and/or the speed is not limited to 3G/3.5G+, I probably won't be interested.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

    My Tech Blog

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,102
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoIntruder View Post
    Hello Everybody. As of November 1st FIDO has officially announced internally that they are going to be coming out with the HOME INTERNET service in 2016. So far this is the only information. More to come in the next months perhaps with prices and plans availble.

    Is this wireless home internet? A home Internet service modeled along the lines of Wireless Home Phone, in other words? If so, it's an intriguing proposition. I'm guessing the highest times for home Internet usage differs substantially for wireless. In the Wind forums many people suggest they can barely use their phones in the middle of the day due to terrible congestion, but in the evening they work much better. Plus home Internet likely skews more towards suburbia where the network has more storage capacity than in dense urban areas. And those in dense urban areas will benefit from people returning home to suburbia in the evenings.

    This could also help provide the revenue for network expansion, filling in coverage gaps, and increasing capacity in otherwise unprofitable areas. And it would do so at the expense of Bellus' home Internet services in many cases.

    Maybe they'll install a home Internet device with a big antenna, that also creates a Rogers network hot spot, for people who live in weak areas. Small cells may be the future, so why not push more services to homes and businesses to pay for them?

    Either that, or I've completely over-thought this, and Fido is just going to become a Rogers cable internet reseller within Rogers' cablevision footprint. :-)
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0

    Montreal

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Is this wireless home internet? A home Internet service modeled along the lines of Wireless Home Phone, in other words? If so, it's an intriguing proposition. I'm guessing the highest times for home Internet usage differs substantially for wireless. In the Wind forums many people suggest they can barely use their phones in the middle of the day due to terrible congestion, but in the evening they work much better. Plus home Internet likely skews more towards suburbia where the network has more storage capacity than in dense urban areas. And those in dense urban areas will benefit from people returning home to suburbia in the evenings.

    This could also help provide the revenue for network expansion, filling in coverage gaps, and increasing capacity in otherwise unprofitable areas. And it would do so at the expense of Bellus' home Internet services in many cases.

    Maybe they'll install a home Internet device with a big antenna, that also creates a Rogers network hot spot, for people who live in weak areas. Small cells may be the future, so why not push more services to homes and businesses to pay for them?

    Either that, or I've completely over-thought this, and Fido is just going to become a Rogers cable internet reseller within Rogers' cablevision footprint. :-)
    Fido is owned by Rogers, they will most likely be selling Rogers Internet branded as FIDO Internet. But I hope the prices will be different

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,102
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoIntruder View Post
    Fido is owned by Rogers, they will most likely be selling Rogers Internet branded as FIDO Internet. But I hope the prices will be different

    It could well be that you're right. Though they did do something innovative with wireless home phone. So its not beyond the realm of possibility that they'll do something innovative along those lines by creating wireless home internet. :-) If they are reselling cable internet, it'll be interesting to see if they offer to resell Shaw, Videotron, Eastlink, etc., as well, or will this be something only offered within Rogers' cable footprint. To me, all three are distinct possibilities (a wireless home internet service, reselling Rogers cable Internet only, and reselling a broader selection of cable internet providers).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,371
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow it only took 2 months for someone to blab about it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    959
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    Wow it only took 2 months for someone to blab about it.
    Blab about what?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,371
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stately Automat View Post
    Blab about what?
    You shouldn't comment in threads before you understand the topic of the thread. Then you won't need to ask such silly questions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0

    Montreal

    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    You shouldn't comment in threads before you understand the topic of the thread. Then you won't need to ask such silly questions.
    I figured that I should wait to allow all fido employees to be informed about it. This way it would be harder to pinpoint who actually leaked the information even though I was one of the firsts to know it when it was still in devellopment. And what's good to wait untill the services comes out to advertise it. IF you advertise it before it comes out you get pre-orders and attract potential customers who would religiously wait for the launch date.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    959
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    You shouldn't comment in threads before you understand the topic of the thread. Then you won't need to ask such silly questions.
    Which silly questions? Perhaps you'd like to expand on the topic being discussed in order to further clarify?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,839
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stately Automat View Post
    Which silly questions? Perhaps you'd like to expand on the topic being discussed in order to further clarify?
    You're supposed to be dazzled by his insider knowledge. Are you dazzled?
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    311
    Feedback Score
    0
    This way it would be harder to pinpoint who actually leaked the information even though I was one of the firsts to know it when it was still in devellopment.
    dazzled by his insider knowledge
    (Not at all) but not hard to figure out who this was.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,839
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dodief View Post
    (Not at all) but not hard to figure out who this was.
    I have no problem with FidoIntruder leaking this. That is between him and his employer. Employees leaking upcoming product info is a long established norm (though I wouldn't risk my job over it).

    But popping into a thread just to say "well, I knew about this months ago" is a little too "look at me, look at me".

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,102
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    It there are so many people in the know, I'd just like someone to tell me if this is reselling Rogers Cable internet (useless to me as I live out west), or if its a broader initiative to resell Rogers and other cable companies' service across the country (potentially useful to me), or if it's wireless home internet (likely useful to me).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0

    Montreal

    Quote Originally Posted by dodief View Post
    (Not at all) but not hard to figure out who this was.
    Not hard to figure who this was ? So who am I ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM
  2. Anyone use Hotspot in place of home internet service?
    By Fishx65 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
  3. Replies: 407
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 09:07 AM
  5. Fido's home internet service
    By The View in forum Fido
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 09:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks