Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Q3 2015 (Second Fiscal Quarter of 2015) Results

Feedback Score

Sprint Q3 2015 (Second Fiscal Quarter of 2015) Results

• First national carrier on record to improve postpaid churn from the April-June quarter to the July-September quarter

• Best-ever Sprint platform postpaid churn of 1.54 percent improved 64 basis points year-over-year

• Sprint platform total net additions of 1.1 million improved nearly 80 percent compared to the prior year quarter
      • Nearly 4 million total net additions in last four quarters

• Sprint platform postpaid net additions of 553,000 compared to net losses of 272,000 in prior year quarter
      • Postpaid net port positive for the third consecutive quarter

• Sprint platform postpaid phone net additions of 237,000 mark the first quarterly additions in over two years
      • Improved sequentially for the sixth consecutive quarter and by over 700,000 year-over-year
      • Includes 199,000 prepaid to postpaid migrations

• Operating loss of $2 million; Adjusted EBITDA* of $2.0 billion grew 45 percent year-over-year
    http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...ticle_id=12049

They have gained some postpaid phone subs. by using some interesting and unconventional methods: they converted 199,000 Boost/Virgin (Sprint platform) prepaid subs. to postpaid after 9 consecutive on-time payments. This is a vast majority of the total 237,000 they brought in.

• Postpaid phone net additions were 237,000 compared to net losses of 500,000 in the prior year quarter – an improvement of 737,000 year-over-year. Excluding migrations from prepaid, postpaid phone net additions would have been 38,000 and improved by 538,000 year-over-year.
    They also posted a net loss of $585 million (over half a billion dollars) in three months and provided zero details related to NGN (Next Generation Network).

• Net loss of $585 million, or $0.15 per share, compared to a net loss of $765 million, or $0.19 per share, in the year-ago period.
    They currently have 58.578 million subscribers and LTE still covers 280 million POPs since there are no new updates since Q1 2015.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More smoke and mirrors, similar to how they keep inactive prepaid/MVNO customers on the books much longer than the rest of the industry. Wonder how many of those net additions were free Freedompop and RingPlus (or even free DirecTV postpaid) users.

At least they're not losing postpaid customers, so that's the biggest pro I see. Unfortunately they are losing prepaid customers (-363k) and revenue is down 6%. As long as their revenue keeps dropping (T-Mobile's has been consistently growing 10%+) it's going to be increasingly difficult to become profitable. That's why you hear of so many Sprint cuts lately.

But yes, the biggest disappointment was the lack of network plan details. Months ago they proudly mentioned how they were going to add a massive amount of small cells / some towers but it's been silence since then. The network pros are that they still have $1.2 billion available in financing to expand 2.5GHz... and it seems (from real world observations) they're expanding Spark carrier aggregation since that doesn't require new equipment. But for expansion and small cell deployment, all we can assume is Soon. Maybe Masa told them no expansion (and thus, no more financing/loans) until they become profitable?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    they converted 199,000 Boost/Virgin (Sprint platform) prepaid subs. to postpaid after 9 consecutive on-time payments.

Based on the actions above, expect that Sprint is siphoning off the best Boost/Virgin customers and I predict that those brands will both be eliminated in 2016 and presented as a cost savings measure.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Faux View Post
    they converted 199,000 Boost/Virgin (Sprint platform) prepaid subs. to postpaid after 9 consecutive on-time payments.

Based on the actions above, expect that Sprint is siphoning off the best Boost/Virgin customers and I predict that those brands will both be eliminated in 2016 and presented as a cost savings measure.
    Actually wouldn't be a bad move. They already offer their own sprint prepaid. Why not cut both boost and Virgin move the best customers over to postpaid put the rest on sprint prepaid and stop the 3 prepaid brand garbage.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how T-Mobile & Sprint account for each Project Fi customer?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Project FI
    Feedback Score
    I find it really disingenuous for sprint to count prepaid customers that paid their bills regularly toward their post paid subscribers. It's really unethical and presents a false narrative to investors. Investors think they are gaining low churn and high profit customers when they are really gaining high churn, low profit customers. It's going to catch up with them. When Sprint or any company has to play games with numbers like that it's a huge warning sign of far bigger systemic problems in the company.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I find it really disingenuous for sprint to count prepaid customers that paid their bills regularly toward their post paid subscribers. It's really unethical and presents a false narrative to investors.
    I agree. This company sucks so bad it isn't even funny anymore. I only wish that Son had followed through on his idea of "writing off" the entire company as a loss. Instead, the U.S. is going to have to suffer a while longer.

I wonder if Clear subscribers are counted in Sprint's total numbers? Sprint's about to shut that service down in a few days and lose millions of customers.
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 11-03-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I agree. This company sucks so bad it isn't even funny anymore. I only wish that Son had followed through on his idea of "writing off" the entire company as a loss. Instead, the U.S. is going to have to suffer a while longer.

I wonder if Clear subscribers are counted in Sprint's total numbers? Sprint's about to shut that service down in a few days and lose millions of customers.
    How are you or the u. S. Suffering because sprint is in business. They must of really made you mad when they asked for a deposit didn't they??? Lmao outraged they wanted that 100 bucks weren't ya?? It's alright. Wake up every morning p.oed that they haven't closed yet huh?? I can hear it now.... Why why are they still open why can't metro pcs take over why!!!! Well I'm sorry to hear you're suffering but it's kinda funny in a way you suffer over sprint being in business. My real advice?? Get out more. There's more to life then 'suffering' over what wireless company is or isn't open.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I find it really disingenuous for sprint to count prepaid customers that paid their bills regularly toward their post paid subscribers. It's really unethical and presents a false narrative to investors. Investors think they are gaining low churn and high profit customers when they are really gaining high churn, low profit customers. It's going to catch up with them. When Sprint or any company has to play games with numbers like that it's a huge warning sign of far bigger systemic problems in the company.
    But that's not what they do.... They offer those prepaid customers the option to switch to postpaid. It's up to the customer if they choose to or not. Apparently 190000 chose to. Why shouldn't they be counted as postpaid then? Actually not a bad idea if the reason the person on prepaid is for deposit reasons

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Maybe Masa told them no expansion (and thus, no more financing/loans) until they become profitable?
    Well I guess we have a whole chicken and egg thing going on, don't we?

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That was a damn good outcome considering they did everything possible to shoot both of their feet.

They need to implement a national expansion plan thatvwill excite the masses.
    Instead of paying off someone elses contracts, which is the dumbest move I have ever seen by any company. Sprint needs to provide an eye catching offer that will encourage people to jump ship. Give all new Subscribers a Free iPhone and a Free iPad to switch from Both Tmoible and at&t.
    Generate new income while eliminating any possible return to either of those two competitors.
    Apple is still the most sought after device brand by a large margin. Commit to a large device distribution deal and lock in new subscribers for No Less than 36 Months on aFree.
    Quit paying off etf's that do nothing but encourage an early defection to their former service providor.
    If current subs want in on the Free Apples let them in on the deals for every New Line of service they want to add. No need to waste an opportunity to keep em around for an extra 36 guaranteed months.
    If Sprint has enough guts to convert their own prepaid subs onto Post Paid, this Free Apples idea should be a slam dunk.

Sprint also needs to Spend some branding dollars on their prepaid lines. For some crazy reason they started to switch their prepaids onto post paid (good effort) but forgot to refill their prepaid rolls at the same time (bad move)... Boost Looks lost, Virgin has been left for dead on the side of the road, Assurance looks neglected, and Sprint Prepaid is still stuck at the starting line.
    You have three brands, they need focus, they are starting to look like GM same ugly offers with no individual life at either of the 3. The point of 3 different brands is to attract different consumers.
    Boost has been the Value brand sinsce the $50 Unlimited days, Sprint Prepaid should be the Crown Jewel of tjeir prepaid service offers, and Virgin Mobile their Data Centric Brand. Boost buyers will not go for high priced devices at their dealer network, Sprint Prepaid Needs iPhones and other high end product along with offers that mirrorbthe Post Paid side, Virgin Mobile Needs Tablets, MidRange Smartphones and Phablets, and assurance wireless needs better offers and incentives for those subscribers to Spend more.

If at&t can operate two inhouse prepaid services, tmoible has several inhouse prepaid services... why would Sprint be stupid enough to abandon their three strong brand approach???

if anything Sprint should target competing prepaid services and launch an all out effort to convert some of those onto Sprint post paid. Bring us your old Tmobile phone and receive a free upgrade onto a hot new phone at no cost on Sprint. Tough times call for tough measures. If it was easy enough to upgrade Sprints own prepaid subs onto post paid, converting tmobiles poor coverage victims should be a breeze.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They need a better BYOD policy. At least make it an option on their website. Verizon does it and they are CDMA. Sprint can do it too.

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    That was a damn good outcome considering they did everything possible to shoot both of their feet.

They need to implement a national expansion plan thatvwill excite the masses.
    Instead of paying off someone elses contracts, which is the dumbest move I have ever seen by any company. Sprint needs to provide an eye catching offer that will encourage people to jump ship. Give all new Subscribers a Free iPhone and a Free iPad to switch from Both Tmoible and at&t.
    Generate new income while eliminating any possible return to either of those two competitors.
    Apple is still the most sought after device brand by a large margin. Commit to a large device distribution deal and lock in new subscribers for No Less than 36 Months on aFree.
    Quit paying off etf's that do nothing but encourage an early defection to their former service providor.
    If current subs want in on the Free Apples let them in on the deals for every New Line of service they want to add. No need to waste an opportunity to keep em around for an extra 36 guaranteed months.
    If Sprint has enough guts to convert their own prepaid subs onto Post Paid, this Free Apples idea should be a slam dunk.

Sprint also needs to Spend some branding dollars on their prepaid lines. For some crazy reason they started to switch their prepaids onto post paid (good effort) but forgot to refill their prepaid rolls at the same time (bad move)... Boost Looks lost, Virgin has been left for dead on the side of the road, Assurance looks neglected, and Sprint Prepaid is still stuck at the starting line.
    You have three brands, they need focus, they are starting to look like GM same ugly offers with no individual life at either of the 3. The point of 3 different brands is to attract different consumers.
    Boost has been the Value brand sinsce the $50 Unlimited days, Sprint Prepaid should be the Crown Jewel of tjeir prepaid service offers, and Virgin Mobile their Data Centric Brand. Boost buyers will not go for high priced devices at their dealer network, Sprint Prepaid Needs iPhones and other high end product along with offers that mirrorbthe Post Paid side, Virgin Mobile Needs Tablets, MidRange Smartphones and Phablets, and assurance wireless needs better offers and incentives for those subscribers to Spend more.

If at&t can operate two inhouse prepaid services, tmoible has several inhouse prepaid services... why would Sprint be stupid enough to abandon their three strong brand approach???

if anything Sprint should target competing prepaid services and launch an all out effort to convert some of those onto Sprint post paid. Bring us your old Tmobile phone and receive a free upgrade onto a hot new phone at no cost on Sprint. Tough times call for tough measures. If it was easy enough to upgrade Sprints own prepaid subs onto post paid, converting tmobiles poor coverage victims should be a breeze.
    Because the 3 prepaid system is stupid and costly. They are competing with themselves and could save money by streamlining. Att kept cricket separate almost because they had to. Part of the terms of them buying them was they had to offer unlimited service for a year to existing customers. They weren't gonna put them on att so why not try to compete with metro and make cricket nationwide. As far as how that's turning out not to well. Cricket has been kind of a failure due to att not willing to affect they're postpaid cash cow by undercutting themselves and making cricket a more attractive destination. Metro again was bought as a separate company. It made sense for t-mobile to keep metro as a standalone. In fact how the buyout actually went down was metro pcs bought t-mobile. But it makes sense to keep metro separate they had their own base when acquired. Keeping boost and virgin both is stupid. They're is no reason for it except maybe they have to with the agreement they have to use the virgin name. It's confusing to people and in fact is counter productive to offer 3 different prepaid options. Streamline them into one. Doesn't matter what one. Make them all boost, virgin, sprint prepaid. Whatever make it simple. If you do wanna go the standalone prepaid route and just keep sprint prepaid like att does with go phone fine. Streamline virgin and boost into one. Have one dealer. Whatever you want to call it boost or virgin. Have some control over the dealers not just let them do whatever they want and say oh they're an independent dealer they can do whatever. No that's insane have control over your own product. Make it simple for everybody. Not offer 30 different prepaid plans across 3 different prepaid divisions.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Soooo... reading these numbers Sprint essentially went on a crusade to switch prepaid subs to postpaid? They gained 200k-ish postpaid and lost 300k-ish prepaid? So... another quarter of Sprint posting essentially ZERO growth? At least the losses have stopped and the money losses are lower... some silver lining?

I agree with the 3 prepaid brands. Sprint has, once again as with most issues, had many, many years to rectify this. Instead, Boost and VM sit there doing nothing spectacular and nobody even knows Sprint has a Sprint-brand prepaid. I mean, ATT has both Go-Phone and Cricket, but that was born out of a different circumstance and ATT isn't in any boat like Sprint. Same with Tmobile and MetroPCS - they also bought a real prepaid network brand and kept the name while folding it in. VM and Boost always were just MVNOs.

Also, did any investors call out Sprint for having absolutely no goals, updates, notices on their network issues? That's been Sprint's problem for the better part of a decade - an abysmal network. Hater or fanboy, Sprint has a network issue. They own and utilize unique spectrum that very few others have (aside from PCS - but they have that funky G block). So, they need to understand this and fire correctly on all cylinders. They need 800mhz, 1900mhz, and 2500mhz on each and every tower they legally can. And now, not in the future, they need to do it in 3-6 months. We've seen Tmobile launch an LTE network at record pace. VZW and ATT have incredibly larger networks and juggle different frequencies. They all have refarmed their spectrum in some capacity. Why can't Sprint? Why do they keep so much spectrum dedicated to that incredibly useless CDMA network? They even foolishly made SMR a CDMA network... that still baffles me to this day.

Also, is Sprint seriously not letting any and all capable phones onto their network, still?! Prepaid, postpaid, MVNOs, all need to let any phone on that works - no excuses anymore. This is not doing Sprint favors and manufacturers are making phones that work with all carriers, so Sprint needs to get with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyh318 View Post
    How are you or the u. S. Suffering because sprint is in business. They must of really made you mad when they asked for a deposit didn't they??? Lmao outraged they wanted that 100 bucks weren't ya?? It's alright. Wake up every morning p.oed that they haven't closed yet huh?? I can hear it now.... Why why are they still open why can't metro pcs take over why!!!! Well I'm sorry to hear you're suffering but it's kinda funny in a way you suffer over sprint being in business. My real advice?? Get out more. There's more to life then 'suffering' over what wireless company is or isn't open.
    Suffering can mean many things to many people. Assuming they asked this user for a 100 deposit? Haha...that's so funny! You made my day! Anyone who takes the time to sign up at HowardForums and actually comment on cell phone service should probably get out more....more to life...so on speech. That includes both of us.

My family and people I know have suffered from AT&T and Verizon. They provide home phone, internet, and cable services. Anybody who has been overcharged or wronged by companies like AT&T or Verizon can say they suffered. As in third world country suffering? Probably not...but it doesn't need to be trolled. At least with cell phone companies you're not locked into one or only two options like you are with cable and internet service. I dread AT&T for shady business practices and policy changes that they've pulled.

So what is the solution? Since 2007 cut AT&T out and go to Sprint. And all Sprint can do is fall on their face. Over and over and over again. I'm shocked they haven't closed yet. I've suffered over a dozen account changes, increased fees, no Wimax for years and when I finally get real LTE I revert back to no talk/data at the same time with Spark that gives me 4mbps! Amazing! I expected better from Sprint and all they proved to be is no different than AT&T with far less coverage, speed, and empty promises. They suck so bad that I'm driven back to AT&T in the form of Cricket Wireless.

I come here to see if anyone posted about Sprint's cutbacks on water and yogurt. Counting prepaid as post paid additions gave me a bigger chuckle. Comical.

Sprint Kickstart until the apocalypse!

- Z2 Force / Pixel 3
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast