Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which one to replace the Freedompop 4G/3G hotspot device/service

Feedback Score

Which one to replace the Freedompop 4G/3G hotspot device/service

I have a Freedompop 4g/3G overdrive device, and pay $3.99 to get around 1GB data every month.
    So far it is fine to me because I don't use a lot of data on the road.

Now the Sprint WiMax(4G) will be gone in the next few days. I am looking for the LTE hotspot device
    and service for the similar price range, say $5/month or less. Is there something like this ?
    Which LTE hotspot device/service is good to replace the Freedompop 4G/3G hotspot device/service ?

I know someone used R+ free plan with the Moto E or LG Volt phone to get hotspot working. It probably is not
    officially supported, may not work in the future.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    You should have received an email offering an upgrade to an LTE device, either the Sierra 803S or the Netgear Mingle. I think the price was about $40. Anyone can buy the Netgear Mingle at the Freedompop website but it'll cost around $70 if you're a new customer.

You might also do a websearch and see if there are any current offers from Groupon or 1Sale for Freedompop devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    You should have received an email offering an upgrade to an LTE device, either the Sierra 803S or the Netgear Mingle. I think the price was about $40. Anyone can buy the Netgear Mingle at the Freedompop website but it'll cost around $70 if you're a new customer.

You might also do a websearch and see if there are any current offers from Groupon or 1Sale for Freedompop devices.
    I didn't receive the email. What is the price for the service ? Is there a way to convert my existing 4G/3G account to the new LTE device,
    so I do not have to add friends/family again to get 1GB data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lchen5 View Post
    I have a Freedompop 4g/3G overdrive device, and pay $3.99 to get around 1GB data every month.
    So far it is fine to me because I don't use a lot of data on the road.

Now the Sprint WiMax(4G) will be gone in the next few days. I am looking for the LTE hotspot device
    and service for the similar price range, say $5/month or less. Is there something like this ?
    Which LTE hotspot device/service is good to replace the Freedompop 4G/3G hotspot device/service ?

I know someone used R+ free plan with the Moto E or LG Volt phone to get hotspot working. It probably is not
    officially supported, may not work in the future.
    It works fine on both FreedomPop and RingPlus. I have Volts on each.

See https://forums.freedompop.com/discus...lg-volt#latest

I think that is the best option because it includes 3G at no extra cost, not 4G only as is the case with hotspot hardware devices on FP.

There is no reason it would stop working.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    A few months ago, I bought a FreedomPop-labeled U770 usb modem which was ranging in price from about $15 to $30 depending where you bought it online, from New Egg to Ebay. I can use this modem in a laptop, desktop, or just slip it into my trusty Pepwave Surf Soho Wi-Fi / gigabit ethernet home hub if I want to use FreedomPop, but I usually use the Pepwave Surf Soho with T-Mobile via Harbor Mobile using an unlocked usb AT&T 313u modem, also available cheapyly online, maybe $10 now. If FreedomPop ever lets you activate your own data device (like they do for some phones), you can buy a nicer (more bands) usb Sprint Netgear 341u modem cheap instead of the FreedomPop-labeled U770.
    Last edited by roncomatic; 11-03-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Freedompop only has byod for phones. We are all anxiously awaiting if they will let you do it for hotspots but not holding our collective breaths.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'll be wanting to move my two 3G-capable FP devices to another provider (maybe R+ if possible) after 11/6; hoping to not pay FP $4/mo. for 3G-only service when I was getting 900MB of WiMax per month on each for free. The question will be: how to get the devices removed from FP so that they can be moved to another Sprint MVNO...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    I'll be wanting to move my two 3G-capable FP devices to another provider (maybe R+ if possible) after 11/6; hoping to not pay FP $4/mo. for 3G-only service when I was getting 900MB of WiMax per month on each for free. The question will be: how to get the devices removed from FP so that they can be moved to another Sprint MVNO...
    Ring Plus does not allow data-only devices at all. Only phones.

FP will release the devices on request right away. They do that routinely via all support channels. However I would wait until WiMax actually shuts down. That could yet be delayed(a court case is pending) and also FP could yet decide to make 3G free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Ring Plus does not allow data-only devices at all. Only phones.

FP will release the devices on request right away. They do that routinely via all support channels.

However I would wait until WiMax actually shuts down. That could yet be delayed(a court case is pending) and also FP could yet decide to make 3G free.
    Thanks for both of those factual tid-bits, as well as the suggestion to wait. I certainly am in no hurry...

Feedback Score
    I'm curious if anyone has experience with FP's newest hotspot offering, the Netgear Zing (a step up from the Mingle).

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Somebody says it has the same reboot problem as the mifi 500 and somebody says that behavior can be solved by turning of autostart in the webgui settings menu.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Let's all burn through our max WiMax data between now and 12:01am (forgot which time zone) tomorrow morning.

Feedback Score
    Let's all burn through our max WiMax data between now and 12:01am (forgot which time zone) tomorrow morning.

12:01 Eastern time.

However there is a court case asking for an extension. A ruling or settlement is expected today (obviously).

http://www.buzzfeed.com/coralewis/up...day#.rkL91R6Y0

Even if there is an extension, though, it might be limited as to where and for whom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    12:01 Eastern time.

However there is a court case asking for an extension. A ruling or settlement is expected today (obviously).

http://www.buzzfeed.com/coralewis/up...day#.rkL91R6Y0

Even if there is an extension, though, it might be limited as to where and for whom.
    Yes, I've been reading the court case proceedings, applying my (now retired) law license. Interesting stuff. Because of the "access to bandwidth as a quid-pro-quo to handing over the spectrum" issue they might have a chance. But the "request for extension" must actually be couched as a "request for an injunction" before the court can do anything. And the general rules of injunctions require a "likelihood of success."

If an injunction hasn't been granted by now -- 2:40 pm Eastern time -- my guess is that it ain't gonna happen.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I've been reading the court case proceedings, applying my (now retired) law license. Interesting stuff. Because of the "access to bandwidth as a quid-pro-quo to handing over the spectrum" issue they might have a chance. But the "request for extension" must actually be couched as a "request for an injunction" before the court can do anything. And the general rules of injunctions require a "likelihood of success."

If an injunction hasn't been granted by now -- 2:40 pm Eastern time -- my guess is that it ain't gonna happen.

The injunction has been granted:
    http://recode.net/2015/11/05/judge-s...least-for-now/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast