Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spectrum squatting

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy88 View Post
    Truly what I think the fcc should do if dish fails on aws4 is take the pcs and aws3 back also split it up and give cspire, us cellular 20x20 nationwide and instead of having the low band auction giving both of them and sprint 5x5 nationwide 600mhz and give tmobile 10x10. But this won't happen.
    I'm glad that the FCC doesn't do this..
    If the FCC did that basically means our conversation goes back to square 1 and we will giving the spectrum to another operator (with a likely history of questionable deployment). Considering that Sprint, CSpire, T-Mobile and USCC all have checkered past and present with spectrum usage, it's better that the spectrum be re auctioned, instead of hoarded again.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I'm glad that the FCC doesn't do this..
    If the FCC did that basically means our conversation goes back to square 1 and we will giving the spectrum to another operator (with a likely history of questionable deployment). Considering that Sprint, CSpire, T-Mobile and USCC all have checkered past and present with spectrum usage, it's better that the spectrum be re auctioned, instead of hoarded again.
    True but if they was to do what I was saying they should have a strict build out deadline of like 3 years then they take it back if not built out and then auction it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    The FCC is doing what it can to avoid enforcing buildout deadlines. I don't think they've ever refused a waiver request.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    It is in the public interest to have timely buildouts. If the operator can't get the economic value they wanted tough luck, they shouldn't have bid. Sell the spectrum to somebody who can realize economic value and let it be a lesson to others.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Your statement raises serious questions about the extent of how this company is run considering that this company is required to file a report with the FCC detailing how and where the spectrum licenses are being used to meet requirements. The very fact that the FCC has been lied to and exposed by your fact finding raises questions of perjury by management of King Street. Then there's a question whether documents submitted to the SEC and IRS are compromised in order to cover up the falsified reports given to the FCC. I believe the licenses can be seized and and "build out" or "bidding" credit returned, likely with interest, plus charges of perjury once the FCC finds out that this company merely "slapped a couple of antennas on a tower and called it a "fixed wireless" service".
    This is a King Street Wireless website that advertises fixed wireless service in the western half of Oklahoma: http://www.kingstreetwireless.com/ki..._oklahoma.html

I have a friend who lives in Clinton, Oklahoma, right in the middle of one of those CMA's listed on the website. He has emailed the address on the site and called the number (which leads to an answering service) about signing up for this supposed service, and received no response from King Street after multiple attempts.

Here is US Cellular's voice coverage map for the same area. Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 5.43.51 AM.png
Views: 332
Size:  94.3 KB

As you can see, US Cellular offers little native service at all in those areas. All that hatched blue is "partner coverage"

Therefore, after these several attempts at contacting King Street, one would have to conclude that this supposed service possibly doesn't really exist. If you can't contact the company to sign up, how can it really exist? The site he has seen consists of 3 antenna panels, pointing north, east, and south on the tower. I haven't been there, so I don't know if there are electric meters, if they are connected, or what ground equipment there is. But based on what he has told me, it is purely a protection site that really isn't doing anything to put the valuable resource to actual use. I can't find anywhere else where this service is advertised or shown as being available, no other sites and nothing on US Cellular's website either. My friend says there are no listings in the local phone directories of fixed wireless service other than a couple of local providers who use Motorola's Canopy hardware to provide a wifi-like service.

Point is, I don't think all these companies are doing anything other than following the strictest letter of the law and relying on the fact that no one knows that these supposed "services" even exist.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Your statement raises serious questions about the extent of how this company is run considering that this company is required to file a report with the FCC detailing how and where the spectrum licenses are being used to meet requirements. The very fact that the FCC has been lied to and exposed by your fact finding raises questions of perjury by management of King Street. Then there's a question whether documents submitted to the SEC and IRS are compromised in order to cover up the falsified reports given to the FCC. I believe the licenses can be seized and and "build out" or "bidding" credit returned, likely with interest, plus charges of perjury once the FCC finds out that this company merely "slapped a couple of antennas on a tower and called it a "fixed wireless" service".
    I would think that T-Mobile might not be entirely oblivious to this situation. Were I they, I'd have investigated this by having several local businesses do essentially what CavanalClimber did and document King Street's non-response. However, there's a time and a place to drop the hammer and this is neither the time nor the place. T-Mobile may also want to follow the Wicked Witch's advice that, "These things must be done delicately" as they want USCC as an important roaming partner.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    As this recent article pointed out, Verizon should run out of spectrum soon so they would be a likely candidate to lease the Dish spectrum:.....
    I find the reports of Verizon's "running out of spectrum" to be somewhat humorous, considering that they hold either the #1 or #2 bandwidth position in most markets. I think the fact is that they have relied on their dominant spectrum position to provide capacity and not done enough to increase the density of their network. Something that T-Mobile was forced to do from the outset.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Truly what I think the fcc should do if dish fails on aws4 is take the pcs and aws3 back also split it up and give cspire, us cellular 20x20 nationwide and instead of having the low band auction giving both of them and sprint 5x5 nationwide 600mhz and give tmobile 10x10. But this won't happen.
    I don't know about the rest of them, but as a recently ex-CSpire customer, I can assure you that CSpire would have no clue what to do with nationwide spectrum. They can't even figure out what to do with their licenses in Alabama.

Feedback Score
    Truly what I think the fcc should do if dish fails on aws4 is take the pcs and aws3 back also
    The FCC would have no legal right to take the PCS and AWS-3 back also.

split it up and give cspire, us cellular 20x20 nationwide
    Why should those companies be given anything? Those are resources owned by the American government and they should pay for a license to use them just like any other company.

Feedback Score
    Low Band spectrum needs to be re-evaluated. Absolutely ridiculous that either AT&T or Verizon amass entire low band spectrum blocks in various markets, with no competition.

Who is going to be the first idiot Libertarian to tell me this is a good thing and that the government should not have intervened. Competition cannot exist within monopolies or duopolies, particularly in sectors like wireless, where spectrum is limited.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't even know why USCC is in this thread about Spectrum squatting. Several USCC customers have told me that USCC has rolled out their 700 [blocks A,B &C] spectrum and are in no danger of violation the FCC's "use it or lose it rules" According to this article http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-q2/2015-07-31

U.S. Cellular is continuing to deploy its LTE network and aims to have 98 percent of its customers covered with LTE by the end of 2015. The carrier said 83 percent of its data traffic rides on its LTE network. By comparison Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) said earlier this month 87 percent of its traffic is now over LTE. On average, U.S. Cellular customers use more than 1.45 GB of data per month.

Meyers said 94 percent of customers' smartphones are LTE-capable, and 87 percent of the company's cell sites have LTE access.

Regarding next year's planned incentive auction of 600 MHz broadcast TV spectrum, Meyers said it remains an incredibly complex auction but that everyone in the wireless industry realizes that more spectrum will be needed to cope with data demands. He said he is "hopeful that we're going to see a good auction from the standpoint of meaningful participation from the broadcasters."

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The FCC would have no legal right to take the PCS and AWS-3 back also.

Why should those companies be given anything? Those are resources owned by the American government and they should pay for a license to use them just like any other company.
    Jet,

I think your unwavering position on these is a bit short sighted. This spectrum is all leased to the companies, they don't own it. The government does. In this country, the owner of something typically has many rights. Additionally, the government could claim many things to take back spectrum - either precedent like eminent domain or something new we haven't seen. It may fail in court, it may not. Leasing inherently implies they never gave it away to begin with, they always own it.

Next, why not give USCC or someone else spectrum without payment to use? They did it with ATT and VZW, who then say most of what they acquired without a fee was small. In reality, ATT and VZW bought up many companies that were granted this spectrum with little to no costs associated with it - so they say they 'paid' for it, but any company that was given a free resource is going to be easier to buy than one that had to earn it. Less debt, better network as they could spend money on build-out than paying for the license, etc.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I don't even know why USCC is in this thread about Spectrum squatting. Several USCC customers have told me that USCC has rolled out their 700 [blocks A,B &C] spectrum and are in no danger of violation the FCC's "use it or lose it rules" According to this article http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-q2/2015-07-31
    As Mr. Carnaval pointed out, some shadow companies they deal with hold spectrum that is unable to be used by anyone. Numbers go nowhere, no local mention of the company, etc. So, USCC may not be a 100% spectrum squatter, but they seem to be playing the same game the Twin Bells play by sitting on resources to stifle competition or purposely breaking up spectrum so smaller carriers cannot gain the same handset access.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Please the term "squatter" is 100% accurate even if they are also " financial speculator". These airwaves were made avail for the Pubic Interest where they the FCC even set build out time lines to completely deploy and roll out of this spectrum or lose the spectrum licenses. These speculators are squatting on these spectrum and preventing them from being used for the Public Interest they were intended to help.

King Street isn't a Spectrum Squatters since they have leased their spectrum to USCC that is deployed where they also own the majority controlling interests in USCC via Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. USCC is just a shell company where the major investor Telephone and Data Systems, Inc own about 84% of USCC plus that are also the private owners of King Street keeps most valuable assets for USCC. This way USCC can go bankrupt and go private like XOXO Communication did the few non-TDS stock holders won't have much to chance of recovering their money. I lost $10K on XOXO Communication that when private and got nothing back since all fiber assets were owned by the majority private corporation that took XOXO from public to private.

After the 600Mhz auction when the FCC doesn't have any more suitable spectrum to auction and profit from, then and only then will the FCC decide to take back the spectrum from the Spectrum squatters for failing to deploy the spectrum.
    I don't think you understand what a shell company is. Since USCC has tangible assets (and employees, stores, network, etc.) it isn't a shell company. A wholey owned subsidy is quite different. USCC has been owned by TDS since 1983, so this isn't like it is some short term get rich quick scheme.
    Worn out retail warrior. Now retired on the golf course.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    .....I think your unwavering position on these is a bit short sighted. This spectrum is all leased to the companies, they don't own it. The government does. In this country, the owner of something typically has many rights. Additionally, the government could claim many things to take back spectrum - either precedent like eminent domain or something new we haven't seen. It may fail in court, it may not. Leasing inherently implies they never gave it away to begin with, they always own it.....
    Not familiar with the NextWave C-block debacle, are we?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast