Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to get a free sim card from Wind without paying $25?

Feedback Score

Question What is the best way to get a free sim card from Wind without paying $25?

Wind's charge for sim card is too high compared to other providers.

I want to switch to Wind from Mobilicity and don't want to pay 25 bucks.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Go into a corp store and say you want to sign up, if they say they are going to charge you, ask if there is a Koodo kiosk in that mall...

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Another option would be to purchase a lightly loved $9 phone. It wouldn't be free, but it would include both the device and the SIM card.
    LABcrab
    Free TV! youtu.be/CnbicDLObNQ Also, helping out with TV Rogers shows!
    WIND: $10 Clever / $10 Surf A Little (switched) / $25 Province
    WINDows apps (for any carrier): BarlowGirlBrittany HargestZOEgirlsee more…
    SpeedTest: 19915748 (Wind) and 15864082 (Fido)!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LABcrab View Post
    Another option would be to purchase a lightly loved $9 phone. It wouldn't be free, but it would include both the device and the SIM card.
    Did you mean that for $9 - I would get phone and sim card both ?

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tapan2401 View Post
    Did you mean that for $9 - I would get phone and sim card both ?
    Precisely, as long as you can find a store that sells a Lightly Loved phone for that price. :-) It would likely be a Huawei U2801.

Feedback Score

I'm a big wind supporter but am curious as to why you switch now as opposed to waiting for the the network switch and if you still want to switch do it during the holiday season when wind will have some sort of holiday season plan

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Techguy12 View Post
    I'm a big wind supporter but am curious as to why you switch now as opposed to waiting for the the network switch and if you still want to switch do it during the holiday season when wind will have some sort of holiday season plan
    Because you can still switch to a different plan and be on that one from that point onwards. If Wind has added coverage in your area, if you've moved into a Wind supported area, if you are tired of the BS and high costs of the big three oligopolies, if you are worried about what will happen to your Mobilicity coverage once it becomes Rogerlicity, or any number of reasons. It could be a second phone for when you are travelling in the US, or just a secondary phone for a spouse or child to use locally. Perhaps you want to support additional competition in Canada.

I started off on a $35 plan covering the province in 2010. Towards Christmas that year, Wind came out with the Holiday Miracle Plan for $40 that provided a whole lot more for just $5 more. I've been on it since.

Wind is not for everyone, but it works for lots of people. Sure, Wind isn't everywhere. There are still some coverage holes in some of the areas it serves that are so very slowly being addressed, while coverage expansion has almost stopped, other than a few towers coming along that inches coverage out of current areas by a tiny bit. But if Wind works for you, give it a try. It is the last survivor of the new entrants west of Quebec. Wind will hopefully get LTE in its coverage areas in the new year and hopefully will continue to expand its coverage areas in Canada.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Feedback Score
    Hi Techguy12,

I agree with you about waiting for network switch. But Mobilicity network is very bad since last few months. I have used wind mobile and I can tell that wind is far better.

It has been very challenging to use data recently and I am losing patience now.

People said that network switch is happening end of October and October is gone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Hi Techguy12,

I agree with you about waiting for network switch. But Mobilicity network is very bad since last few months. I have used wind mobile and I can tell that wind is far better.

It has been very challenging to use data recently and I am losing patience now.

People said that network switch is happening end of October and October is gone.
    People got that from the red flag deals ad where there was a deadline of middle of October to order your new phone. Totally unrealistic though.

Earliest I think it will happen is December 1st. This is for end of October to get phones delivered and November to do the actual conversion. Maximum for handing the bandwidth to Wind is December 29th.

After the handover, it could take at least half a year to get LTE operational I think, but I have no idea on actual times. Hopefully faster, but we'll see.

Time will tell though.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Easy answer is go to a dealer store
    I have never paid for a Mobi/Wind SIM ever
    They always offer for free
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Hi Kav2001c,

I already tried that. I also never paid for sim. But things are changed now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    And yet you are complaining about $25.00? I don't believe your story that you never pay for a SIM card either. I switched from Rogerlicity to Wind. I never complained about paying $25.00 and I brought my own phone, that was unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Those who are able to get a free SIM card when starting up a new plan, please tell the rest of us which store(s) offer this? I do all my dealings at a corporate store exclusively. Every time I start a new plan, I have always had to pay the "Wind tax" for the SIM card. When the rep rings in the sale on the system, the fee for the SIM card shows up. I am not sure they have authority to override it. Having said that, replacement SIMs have always been free. When they ring up that service on the system, it shows as a $0 transaction.

Feedback Score
    When I started my two lines one was at the wind store in Lansdowne mall in Richmond and the other at the store on Fraser street Vancouver. Both times they waived the sim card fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    The big 3 have huge mark ups built into their pricing plans, that the cost for a SIM is incidental. Winds plans are a lot lower markup and thus, with no Mobilicity trying to compete by offering a free SIM to get/keep someone, Wind will likely keep the cost per items. I can see the new management at Wind wanting to grow revenue, and unless something comes along that they have to respond to, costs will likely be there for SIMs and other add-ons. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast