Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Cheapest Hot Spot LTE Data?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cheapest Hot Spot LTE Data?

    I have a need for about 10GB of data per month on a hot spot.

    Trying to figure out the best option. Any of the carrier's native networks appears to be acceptable so a non-roaming plan from a prepaid provider is fine.

    It looks like Smartel and Harbor are no longer in business or at least not taking orders.

    There is a company 4gantennashop.com offering 10GB/month for $47, but they seem a little dicey.

    Boost offers 10GB of LTE data for $50, and the hotspot is $10 (with CLEAR40 code).

    Any other options for LTE data, via a hotspot, at around $5/GB?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,817
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    How about Freedompop?

    1 gb for 9.99
    2 gb for 17.99
    4 gb for 28.99
    5 gb for 34.99
    10 gb for 59.99

    It's sprint LTE on the back end. Speed is probably good in major cities if you are standing still, spotty to non existent elsewhere unless you get their 3g fallback add on.

    A few extras you could sign up for. Get up to 1 gb of extra data per month for free using their Freedom Friends feature.

    Rollover unused data up to 500 mb for 3.49 a month.

    I think to get 3g fallback, it's 3.99 a month extra. This package may be mandatory now that they are phasing out Wimax

    I noticed Selectel(Verizon MVNO) has mifi plans for sale. For some people, it;s Big Red or nothing
    1 GB for 20.00
    3 GB for 35.00
    5 GB for 50.00

    sounds a bit expensive but.....it is Verizon

    Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ShredFred; 10-27-2015 at 04:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    How about Freedompop?

    1 gb for 9.99
    2 gb for 17.99
    4 gb for 28.99
    5 gb for 34.99
    10 gb for 59.99

    It's sprint LTE on the back end. Speed is probably good in major cities if you are standing still, spotty to non existent elsewhere unless you get their 3g fallback add on.

    A few extras you could sign up for. Get up to 1 gb of extra data per month for free using their Freedom Friends feature.

    Rollover unused data up to 500 mb for 3.49 a month.

    I think to get 3g fallback, it's 3.99 a month extra. This package may be mandatory now that they are phasing out Wimax

    I noticed Selectel(Verizon MVNO) has mifi plans for sale. For some people, it;s Big Red or nothing
    1 GB for 20.00
    3 GB for 35.00
    5 GB for 50.00

    sounds a bit expensive but.....it is Verizon

    Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    Looks like Freedompop is more than Boost for 10GB.

    I'm no fan of Sprint, but in this case I won't be leaving Sprint native LTE coverage area. I ordered a Boost hot spot for $10 and will try it with the smallest plan first.

    The reviews are a little strange. Complaints that downloading a file of a certain size uses a lot more data than the file size.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Looks like Freedompop is more than Boost for 10GB.

    I'm no fan of Sprint, but in this case I won't be leaving Sprint native LTE coverage area. I ordered a Boost hot spot for $10 and will try it with the smallest plan first.

    The reviews are a little strange. Complaints that downloading a file of a certain size uses a lot more data than the file size.
    The issue I have right now is that a place I am using for a start-up is charging $20 per day, or $195 per month, for Wi-Fi. I am not going to be using a lot of data (no movies or games) so I think that $50 per month for 10GB is a lot better option than $20 per day. They do allow you two hours of throttled Wi-Fi for free but it's very flaky and I worry that if I spend the $195 per month that the Wi-Fi will be faster, but still flaky. This is only temporary until I am ready to lease office space. My other option is to go to San Francisco every day where they have very fast Wi-Fi and free shared office space, but it would cost be about $15 per day in commuting cost.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Looks like Freedompop is more than Boost for 10GB.
    .......
    There are hints that there may be some better new or special offer FreedomPop plans in the coming days as we approach Nov. 6 WiMax shutdown.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    There are hints that there may be some better new or special offer FreedomPop plans in the coming days as we approach Nov. 6 WiMax shutdown.
    I wonder if the Boost Mi-Fi would work with Freedom Pop since they are both on Sprint. Probably not though. the Boost Mi-Fi is only $10, and their $5/GB data price is the best I've found.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I wonder if the Boost Mi-Fi would work with Freedom Pop since they are both on Sprint. Probably not though. the Boost Mi-Fi is only $10, and their $5/GB data price is the best I've found.
    Oh as to working on FP, no because they allow BYOD for phone but not for hotspots. And they do not offer that particular low-end hotspot so there's probably little chance of sneaking it on. They have another low-end hotspot now called the Mingle, which I would not recommend either.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-29-2015 at 06:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I wonder if the Boost Mi-Fi would work with Freedom Pop since they are both on Sprint. Probably not though. the Boost Mi-Fi is only $10, and their $5/GB data price is the best I've found.
    How is the T Mobile network for you? Robert at 4GA is a real expert in this stuff, and you probably don't need 300 gigabytes for $110, but maybe another plan will be attractive for you. Actually he used to get involved with Sprint and is going to some more in the future, so he may be able to answer some questions so far he's been a very helpful resource.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I wonder if the Boost Mi-Fi would work with Freedom Pop since they are both on Sprint. Probably not though. the Boost Mi-Fi is only $10, and their $5/GB data price is the best I've found.
    Is the $5/GB data from Boost also for WiMax ? I just checked Boost web site, it just stated as 4G, not mention LTE.
    If this is the case, it will have the same problem as the Freedompop 4G device.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    2,104
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cheapest Hot Spot LTE Data?

    Not an official solution but I'm sure it would work, Cricket.

    Sign up for the pro plan 10gigs at $55 a month with unlimited low speed internet after you use your 10gigs. Just get a hotspot that works with AT&T's bands and a sim for a phone with the same SIM card size as the hotspot then after you initially activate the sim on the phone swap the sim into the hotspot.

    Now you have a hotspot on AT&T with a 10 gig soft cap at $55 a month, not too bad!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

    iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

    Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

    AT&T Fiber

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    Not an official solution but I'm sure it would work, Cricket.

    Sign up for the pro plan 10gigs at $55 a month with unlimited low speed internet after you use your 10gigs. Just get a hotspot that works with AT&T's bands and a sim for a phone with the same SIM card size as the hotspot then after you initially activate the sim on the phone swap the sim into the hotspot.

    Now you have a hotspot on AT&T with a 10 gig soft cap at $55 a month, not too bad!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except that Cricket is now requiring a $10 per month adder for tethering. It might work for a while until they catch on.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    2,104
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Except that Cricket is now requiring a $10 per month adder for tethering. It might work for a while until they catch on.
    Just activated a Verizon Novatel 6620L on this Cricket 10 gig plan (using it to write this on my MacBook). Seems to be working fine.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 7.18.27 PM.png
Views: 474
Size:  59.7 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 7.18.15 PM.png
Views: 436
Size:  21.1 KB

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well Boost was a good thought but the Sprint LTE coverage is too poor for it too work. Forget about the maps! The Netgear Mi-Fi is also very flaky. I see it as an available Wi-Fi network but it keeps disonnecting and reconnecting. I can't even get into the setup at 192.168.1.1 or "myhotspot" either via wired or wireless, it starts to bring it up then it disconnects and starts reconnecting. Sometimes it will connect and say "Limited Access.'

    Oh well, for $10 it's not worth shipping it back to them.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,063
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Well Boost was a good thought but the Sprint LTE coverage is too poor for it too work. Forget about the maps! The Netgear Mi-Fi is also very flaky. I see it as an available Wi-Fi network but it keeps disonnecting and reconnecting. I can't even get into the setup at 192.168.1.1 or "myhotspot" either via wired or wireless, it starts to bring it up then it disconnects and starts reconnecting. Sometimes it will connect and say "Limited Access.'

    Oh well, for $10 it's not worth shipping it back to them.
    I wrote a review of the Netgear Mi-Fi thingee and Boost. Got this e-mail today:

    "Your opinion is very important to us and the Boost Mobile community. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on NETGEAR Fuse Mobile Hotspot. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow! Robert nice to see you in another thread! boy you're going to be sucked down the rabbit hole pretty quick! lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FreedomPop data only - 4082 hot spot
    By secdroid in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-19-2013, 10:49 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM
  3. What's the cheapest hot spot capable phones for T Mobile ?
    By Kay Soze in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:52 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 12:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks