Invites next 24hrs

https://mobile.twitter.com/projectfi...48570517540864

No waiting for those who are interested

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is worth noting that the Invites do not expire, so if you think you may want to try Project Fi at some point, it would be a good idea to sign up for the invite today.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The "instant invite" took me directly to the sign up process.

Edit: I bailed out when it got to the point of asking me for the phone number I wanted to port in. I figured this was beyond what was needed for an "invite".
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 10-19-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    And doesn't work from mobile have to go to a desktop?? !

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

Edit: I bailed out when it got to the point of asking me for the phone number I wanted to port in. I figured this was beyond what was needed for an "invite".
    It won't actually do any porting until you activate the phone, so the mere act of specifying a phone number to port is just committing to not use your GV number.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Do you have a Google Voice number?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    It doesn't work from mobile, you have to go to a desktop!
    Just tell your browser to request the desktop version of the page. You don't have a desktop?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Do you have a Google Voice number?
    The account I'm using to request the invite does not have a current GV number. One objective is to port the existing phone number, which we've had for 24 years. I don't know if I go ahead and enter the mobile number if it will start the porting process or if it just says, "OK I could port that number when you are ready." I only ordered the 5X last night and may not be ready to port the service until the end of November. Billing for the current carrier goes by calendar months. If the phone arrives early Nov, I still want to get my money's worth out of the current plan.

P.S. I've sent an e-mail to Project Fi, requesting clarification of this. They've been very quick to respond to previous queries.

P.P.S. From Lucas with Project Fi, "The porting and service doesn't start until you physically activate the Project FI SIM in your phone. The invite is exactly just that, just the invite. The questions you saw were more preparatory to validate whether the phone number is available to port."
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 10-20-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Amazon Fire Phone, LG G2, HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile via Smartel, FreedomPop, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I'll sign up for an invite I guess, but I'll never consider Google Fi unless they drop the price of data first. But they are at the mercy of T-Mobile/Sprint and they need to make a profit so they really can't do much about it I guess. The only real way Google can make a change in wireless is by building their own wireless network or buying an existing one, like what they are doing with Google Fiber. As it is right now they are just a Republic Wireless copycat.

Feedback Score
    The seamless support of multiple backend carriers is different. I don't think they ever plan to compete directly on a price basis, just out there experimenting and disrupting the market, of course you need to pay a little extra to be able to be part of that.

But $10 a day is actually the going rate these days, and keep in mind you can't compare it to the use it or lose it ostensible rates, who make all their profit from the people who don't use their allocation, who subsidize the heavy users. Pay for what you use is much more fair.

Plus the International features,

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm willing to give Fi a minimum 3-month trial, as long as the wife will go along with it (it will be her phone). She normally runs about 500 MB/mo, so I see us coming out under $35/mo, total including all fees and taxes. We're currently paying about $45 for her CSpire service, which is their cheapest rolling data plan. If Fi does not work out, there's always Cricket or PagePlus.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm willing to give Fi a minimum 3-month trial, as long as the wife will go along with it (it will be her phone). She normally runs about 500 MB/mo, so I see us coming out under $35/mo, total including all fees and taxes. We're currently paying about $45 for her CSpire service, which is their cheapest rolling data plan. If Fi does not work out, there's always Cricket or PagePlus.
    One other nice thing, you also get the domestic roaming partners of T-Mobile and Sprint. Take our county of Mendocino, Sprint doesn't have coverage, so they roam on U.S. Cellular, and Fi does as well where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage. There is an issue with no Band 12 right now on Marshmallow (and only data from with it on Lollipop, no VoLTE) though, that's a big deal in rural areas like ours, especially now that T-Mobile has a lot of Band 12 up here now

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .... There is an issue with no Band 12 right now on Marshmallow (and only data from with it on Lollipop, no VoLTE) though, that's a big deal in rural areas ....
    Yeah. I thought about that when I ordered the 5X but Google said they'd get that fixed and I took a leap of faith on it. The nearest T-Mobile band 12 is about 300 miles away from where we live, so that's not a big issue on a daily basis. It might be when we travel next summer but if the issue isn't resolved by then, that phone will probably be on another service. I'm actually kind of looking toward watching the improvement in the improvement in the rural coverage of the combined Sprint & T-Mobile footprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One other nice thing, you also get the domestic roaming partners of T-Mobile and Sprint. Take our county of Mendocino, Sprint doesn't have coverage, so they roam on U.S. Cellular, and Fi does as well where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage. There is an issue with no Band 12 right now on Marshmallow (and only data from with it on Lollipop, no VoLTE) though, that's a big deal in rural areas like ours, especially now that T-Mobile has a lot of Band 12 up here now
    I know some people are flashing the radio from the 5.1.1 factory image, so they can use Marshmallow but still have Band 12.

Of course, that won't help with the 5X/6P, if those phones don't have Band 12 activated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I know some people are flashing the radio from the 5.1.1 factory image, so they can use Marshmallow but still have Band 12.
    Yep, it works, though you'll only get data, no VoLTE, calls will fall back to HSPA or EDGE if available, but if there is no other signal but 12, your call will fail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast