Thread: Phone suggestion for Israel

Feedback Score

Question Phone suggestion for Israel

Hello!

Going to Israel and was hoping to get some suggestion for a phone that will work well. I'm going for 3 months and will probably go with a prepaid SIM from eBay or some other place, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Some phones that I've looked into are:

1. Motorola Nexus 6 around $300 right now
    2. Asus Zenphone 2 4G/16G can be had for about $230
    3. Oppo One plus one $270
    4. Sony - Xperia C4 $275

My questions are pretty simple. Which phone would work best (i.e. most compatible). And which phone is the best deal. If there is a better phone/model suggestion that is not in the list above I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    I'd say the Nexus 6 only because it's likely to have more radio bands and maybe the best support out of all the ones listed, and it's getting Marshmallow soon. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Yes the Nexus line is great to come as close as possible to universal compatibility. However you should probably plan to purchase a local prepaid sim there. Or if you have a contact that can do so for you in advance and send it over, then you will have service as soon as you step off the plane. Anything you buy for international roaming purposes in the United States before leaving will be astronomically more expensive. That said, do have a look at T Mobile and if you don't have any other alternative before leaving go ahead and sign up with them making sure you have the international roaming enabled. But you probably should keep that in reserve as a plan B backup, and plan on getting a local SIM as soon as possible after you arrive.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how things are now in Israel. I was there a number of years ago and noticed that many Israelis would carry two or three phones. When I asked why, I was told that it was so expensive to call from one wireless carrier to another that it was cheaper to carry one phone for each carrier than to make inter-carrier calls. Here's some information (maybe dated) on prepaid in Israel: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/israel.php
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    I'd say the Nexus 6 only because it's likely to have more radio bands and maybe the best support out of all the ones listed, and it's getting Marshmallow soon. Good luck.
    Thank you. OK the latest info I can find says that the following frequencies are used in Israel:
    2G capabilities - GSM 900, GSM 1800
    3G capabilities - UMTS 850, UMTS 2100
    4G capabilities - LTE 1800 (Band 3), LTE 2600 (Band 7?)
    Reading the specs for each phone it looks like
    Nexus 6 supports all of these except UMTS 2100 (Assuming LTE2600 is indeed band 7)
    Zenphone 2 supports all of the bands
    One plus One also appears to support all of the bands
    I'm Unable to find the actual bands that the Xperia C4 supports
    Would you guys still recommend going with the Nexus?
    I guess I should point out what is most important for me in a phone. I don't care so much about speed. However, excellent screen, good signal quality and if possible good audio playback quality this last one is a nice to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Yes the Nexus line is great to come as close as possible to universal compatibility. However you should probably plan to purchase a local prepaid sim there. Or if you have a contact that can do so for you in advance and send it over, then you will have service as soon as you step off the plane. Anything you buy for international roaming purposes in the United States before leaving will be astronomically more expensive. That said, do have a look at T Mobile and if you don't have any other alternative before leaving go ahead and sign up with them making sure you have the international roaming enabled. But you probably should keep that in reserve as a plan B backup, and plan on getting a local SIM as soon as possible after you arrive.
    Thanks. I agree with you. I will definitely not go with a roaming plan. eBay has many prepaid options that will work out of the box in Israel so I'll research that some more, and consult with my cousin(s) to see what they suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I don't know how things are now in Israel. I was there a number of years ago and noticed that many Israelis would carry two or three phones. When I asked why, I was told that it was so expensive to call from one wireless carrier to another that it was cheaper to carry one phone for each carrier than to make inter-carrier calls. Here's some information (maybe dated) on prepaid in Israel: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/israel.php
    Much appreciate the info. I don't think this is the case any longer but will ask my cousin just to be sure. And thank you for the link, I may have found something more recent/up to date: here

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgireyev View Post
    Thank you. OK the latest info I can find says that the following frequencies are used in Israel:
    2G capabilities - GSM 900, GSM 1800
    3G capabilities - UMTS 850, UMTS 2100
    4G capabilities - LTE 1800 (Band 3), LTE 2600 (Band 7?)
    Reading the specs for each phone it looks like
    Nexus 6 supports all of these except UMTS 2100 (Assuming LTE2600 is indeed band 7)
    Zenphone 2 supports all of the bands
    One plus One also appears to support all of the bands
    I'm Unable to find the actual bands that the Xperia C4 supports
    Would you guys still recommend going with the Nexus?
    I guess I should point out what is most important for me in a phone. I don't care so much about speed. However, excellent screen, good signal quality and if possible good audio playback quality this last one is a nice to have.

Thanks. I agree with you. I will definitely not go with a roaming plan. eBay has many prepaid options that will work out of the box in Israel so I'll research that some more, and consult with my cousin(s) to see what they suggest.

Much appreciate the info. I don't think this is the case any longer but will ask my cousin just to be sure. And thank you for the link, I may have found something more recent/up to date: here
    I'm not sure. I have a OnePlus One and it's a great phone but there's very little Customer Support for it if you get a lemon or any hardware issues. The Zenphone might be your best bet then if you want all the radio bands. I don't know if Asus has great support though. Really any of these phones should be fine. It's just a matter of personal preference. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure. I have a OnePlus One and it's a great phone but there's very little Customer Support for it if you get a lemon or any hardware issues. The Zenphone might be your best bet then if you want all the radio bands. I don't know if Asus has great support though. Really any of these phones should be fine. It's just a matter of personal preference. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    You and everyone else that have replied have been very helpful. I like your suggestion of Asus over OPPO, as well. In addition to points you mentioned I believe ASUS is also a newer design and it's cheaper.

Thank you again, I'm off to try and find a prepaid service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgireyev View Post
    You and everyone else that have replied have been very helpful. I like your suggestion of Asus over OPPO, as well. In addition to points you mentioned I believe ASUS is also a newer design and it's cheaper.

Thank you again, I'm off to try and find a prepaid service.
    Good luck! I hope your trip goes well.

Feedback Score
    I think I'm going to take a good hard look at the iphone 7 when it comes out

Feedback Score
    Good luck! I hope your trip goes well.
    OK, I'm in Israel and thought I'd go ahead and comment for the benefit of others that may search through this forum and possibly find this useful.
    Firstly, I went ahead and bought the 4G Zenfone2. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. It's an excellent phone, and I couldn't be more satisfied with it.
    As far as the cell service in Israel. You no longer have to pay extra for calling the cell phone that is on a competitor's network and not only that the Israeli plans put our US plans to shame. For example I selected Golan Telecom as my provider. They offer 3 plans.
    1. Unlimited Talk, Unlimited SMS/MMS and 6G of data for 37 Shekels (That's less than $10 a month) :O
    2. Unlimited Talk (Including 56 foreign countries), Unlimited SMS/MMS and 10G of data, and for 59 Shekels (That's around $15 a month)
    3. Unlimited Talk (Including 56 foreign countries), Unlimited SMS/MMS and 20G of data for 99 Shekels (That's around $25 a month)

The SIM card itself costs $49 Shekels which is around $12

Hope this helps others.
    Huge thanks to everyone that has replied.

Feedback Score
    That sounds great! Glad it worked out well!