Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: AT&T Adds "3rd Party 4G LTE" Coverage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&T Adds "3rd Party 4G LTE" Coverage




    From what I can tell, so far it's only available in Montana, but this brings up some interesting questions.

    - What provider is this in Montana?
    - Assuming that LTE will also be launched on other regional providers (Union Wireless, Viaero Wireless, Commnet, etc.), will AT&T's 400MB domestic roaming limit be removed? Or maybe they'll adopt something similar to Sprint's "Roaming+" where certain providers are treated as on-network usage, and others still have limits. I know AT&T already does this with Viaero, and possibly some other providers, but it's not officially documented anywhere, like Sprint is doing.

    Definitely an interesting development. I think we're starting to see LTE roaming become more common now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,638
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post



    From what I can tell, so far it's only available in Montana, but this brings up some interesting questions.

    - What provider is this in Montana?
    - Assuming that LTE will also be launched on other regional providers (Union Wireless, Viaero Wireless, Commnet, etc.), will AT&T's 400MB domestic roaming limit be removed? Or maybe they'll adopt something similar to Sprint's "Roaming+" where certain providers are treated as on-network usage, and others still have limits. I know AT&T already does this with Viaero, and possibly some other providers, but it's not officially documented anywhere, like Sprint is doing.

    Definitely an interesting development. I think we're starting to see LTE roaming become more common now.
    The T-Mobile in-market roaming here is also showing on the map again, it's still EDGE though.

    Name:  Screenshot_20151009-215739.png
Views: 1719
Size:  1.43 MB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    The T-Mobile in-market roaming here is also showing on the map again, it's still EDGE though.
    Probably because T-Mobile still only has EDGE there, at least according to their maps. Good to know that the roaming is still there, though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,382
    Feedback Score
    0
    That coverage is Nemont and it's a "special" arrangement - Alltel used to cover the whole area. Verizon got half and AT&T got half. AT&T sold their half to Nemont last year and shut down their network in exchange for favourable roaming. Just like has been done so often to Montanans it screws the locals. Only Verizon has never given up licences in Montana for cheap roaming. I hate Verizon but at least they don't pull this nonsense.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,638
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Probably because T-Mobile still only has EDGE there, at least according to their maps. Good to know that the roaming is still there, though.
    Their maps are right, it's still EDGE with T-Mobile north of Willits, they still have a good bit of EDGE to upgrade here. Oh, and that T-Mobile tower in Leggett STILL hasn't gone up, it's been over three years now since the Mendocino County Planning Commission approved it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    That coverage is Nemont and it's a "special" arrangement - Alltel used to cover the whole area. Verizon got half and AT&T got half. AT&T sold their half to Nemont last year and shut down their network in exchange for favourable roaming. Just like has been done so often to Montanans it screws the locals. Only Verizon has never given up licences in Montana for cheap roaming. I hate Verizon but at least they don't pull this nonsense.
    Ah, good to know! Thanks! Verizon roams a lot up in that area as well. It seems to be an area none of the big carriers want to touch.



    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Their maps are right, it's still EDGE with T-Mobile north of Willits, they still have a good bit of EDGE to upgrade here. Oh, and that T-Mobile tower in Leggett STILL hasn't gone up, it's been over three years now since the Mendocino County Planning Commission approved it
    Weird! Have you tried contacting Legere about it directly? He's been known to handle specific network questions like that himself, since I'm sure customer service would know nothing about that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&T Adds "3rd Party 4G LTE" Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Ah, good to know! Thanks! Verizon roams a lot up in that area as well. It seems to be an area none of the big carriers want to touch.
    Nemont is a participant in Verizon's LTE in Rural America program too. That Extended 3G you're showing is "same as native" with no restrictions for Verizon customers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Nemont is a participant in Verizon's LTE in Rural America program too. That Extended 3G you're showing is "same as native" with no restrictions for Verizon customers.
    It's that way with all of Verizon's "Extended" coverage, whether they're part of the LTEiRA program or not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    It's that way with all of Verizon's "Extended" coverage, whether they're part of the LTEiRA program or not.
    Right, the color difference is only for informational purposes, the experience is same as native.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Right, the color difference is only for informational purposes, the experience is same as native.
    Yep. They even stopped showing Extended LTE coverage. It's all shown as "Verizon LTE" now. I believe they also changed the alpha tags on phones as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IA, NE
    Posts
    1,309
    Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    That coverage is Nemont and it's a "special" arrangement - Alltel used to cover the whole area. Verizon got half and AT&T got half. AT&T sold their half to Nemont last year and shut down their network in exchange for favourable roaming. Just like has been done so often to Montanans it screws the locals. Only Verizon has never given up licences in Montana for cheap roaming. I hate Verizon but at least they don't pull this nonsense.
    What frequency is Nemont using for this "special arrangement" LTE coverage?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,382
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    What frequency is Nemont using for this "special arrangement" LTE coverage?
    No idea, the UMTS is 850. It's the old Alltel licence (the Verizon shown that overlaps with their region is Verizon's old Alltel area they got to keep - and I will note that I was wrong when I said Verizon hasn't gave up their licences and screwed their customers - they did in this area, but only for LTE and, most importantly, they have no limits on roaming use so there's no real screwing - yet). This is the first I've heard of AT&T customers getting the ability to use LTE on Nemont. Not that it matters, 100MB limit can be reached in a few seconds now. Joy.

    I'd imagine it's band 13, unless they have separate LTE for AT&T customers, LOL.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    No idea, the UMTS is 850. It's the old Alltel licence (the Verizon shown that overlaps with their region is Verizon's old Alltel area they got to keep - and I will note that I was wrong when I said Verizon hasn't gave up their licences and screwed their customers - they did in this area, but only for LTE and, most importantly, they have no limits on roaming use so there's no real screwing - yet). This is the first I've heard of AT&T customers getting the ability to use LTE on Nemont. Not that it matters, 100MB limit can be reached in a few seconds now. Joy.

    I'd imagine it's band 13, unless they have separate LTE for AT&T customers, LOL.
    That's a good question. Nemont is using Verizon's 700 Mhz spectrum for LTEiRA service, but Nemont might have other spectrum they own themselves that they have put into operation and can allow AT&T to use. Google's Fi service uses Sprint and T-Mobile's LTE service plus it can evidently use some of Sprint's roaming partners' 3G service. Here in Pioneer Cellular's territory, Fi will use Pioneer's 3G but not their LTE, which is part of LTEiRA, it uses T-Mobile's LTE instead. Verizon may have restrictions on partners allowing other carriers to roam on this spectrum, I don't know.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,638
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Ah, good to know! Thanks! Verizon roams a lot up in that area as well. It seems to be an area none of the big carriers want to touch.





    Weird! Have you tried contacting Legere about it directly? He's been known to handle specific network questions like that himself, since I'm sure customer service would know nothing about that.
    I will try that, thanks! I can't believe they've sat on an approved site for close to 4 years now, but AT&T actually did something similar on a site just east of Fort Bragg, they even graded of, then let it sit! They finally got it built, but I never did find out what caused the massive delay.

    Edit- with the USCC T-Mobile LTE roaming agreement coming up soon, it'll be that much more important, and T-Mobile will be the first GSM carrier to cover Leggett and that stretch of US 101, currently, only USCC has a site in Leggett. Hopefully, it will also give AT&T coverage there for the first time, currently it's a big dead spot for GSM from just a couple of miles north of Laytonville to just outside of Garberville.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Not that it matters, 100MB limit can be reached in a few seconds now. Joy.
    It was raised to 400MB last year, and doesn't apply to all carriers. I'd assume the cap wouldn't apply to Nemont if they're offering LTE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM
  2. AT&T: The Nation's Most Reliable 4G LTE Network
    By @TheRealDanny in forum AT&T
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 06:26 AM
  3. Unlock AT&T Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G LTE SGH-I957 to use with T-Mobile USA
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Bookmarks