Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Adds "3rd Party 4G LTE" Coverage

Feedback Score

AT&T Adds "3rd Party 4G LTE" Coverage

From what I can tell, so far it's only available in Montana, but this brings up some interesting questions.

- What provider is this in Montana?
    - Assuming that LTE will also be launched on other regional providers (Union Wireless, Viaero Wireless, Commnet, etc.), will AT&T's 400MB domestic roaming limit be removed? Or maybe they'll adopt something similar to Sprint's "Roaming+" where certain providers are treated as on-network usage, and others still have limits. I know AT&T already does this with Viaero, and possibly some other providers, but it's not officially documented anywhere, like Sprint is doing.

Definitely an interesting development. I think we're starting to see LTE roaming become more common now.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post

From what I can tell, so far it's only available in Montana, but this brings up some interesting questions.

- What provider is this in Montana?
    - Assuming that LTE will also be launched on other regional providers (Union Wireless, Viaero Wireless, Commnet, etc.), will AT&T's 400MB domestic roaming limit be removed? Or maybe they'll adopt something similar to Sprint's "Roaming+" where certain providers are treated as on-network usage, and others still have limits. I know AT&T already does this with Viaero, and possibly some other providers, but it's not officially documented anywhere, like Sprint is doing.

Definitely an interesting development. I think we're starting to see LTE roaming become more common now.
    The T-Mobile in-market roaming here is also showing on the map again, it's still EDGE though.

Name:  Screenshot_20151009-215739.png
Views: 1719
Size:  1.43 MB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    The T-Mobile in-market roaming here is also showing on the map again, it's still EDGE though.
    Probably because T-Mobile still only has EDGE there, at least according to their maps. Good to know that the roaming is still there, though.

Feedback Score
    That coverage is Nemont and it's a "special" arrangement - Alltel used to cover the whole area. Verizon got half and AT&T got half. AT&T sold their half to Nemont last year and shut down their network in exchange for favourable roaming. Just like has been done so often to Montanans it screws the locals. Only Verizon has never given up licences in Montana for cheap roaming. I hate Verizon but at least they don't pull this nonsense.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Probably because T-Mobile still only has EDGE there, at least according to their maps. Good to know that the roaming is still there, though.
    Their maps are right, it's still EDGE with T-Mobile north of Willits, they still have a good bit of EDGE to upgrade here. Oh, and that T-Mobile tower in Leggett STILL hasn't gone up, it's been over three years now since the Mendocino County Planning Commission approved it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    That coverage is Nemont and it's a "special" arrangement - Alltel used to cover the whole area. Verizon got half and AT&T got half. AT&T sold their half to Nemont last year and shut down their network in exchange for favourable roaming. Just like has been done so often to Montanans it screws the locals. Only Verizon has never given up licences in Montana for cheap roaming. I hate Verizon but at least they don't pull this nonsense.
    Ah, good to know! Thanks! Verizon roams a lot up in that area as well. It seems to be an area none of the big carriers want to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Their maps are right, it's still EDGE with T-Mobile north of Willits, they still have a good bit of EDGE to upgrade here. Oh, and that T-Mobile tower in Leggett STILL hasn't gone up, it's been over three years now since the Mendocino County Planning Commission approved it
    Weird! Have you tried contacting Legere about it directly? He's been known to handle specific network questions like that himself, since I'm sure customer service would know nothing about that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score

AT&T Adds "3rd Party 4G LTE" Coverage

Ah, good to know! Thanks! Verizon roams a lot up in that area as well. It seems to be an area none of the big carriers want to touch.
    Nemont is a participant in Verizon's LTE in Rural America program too. That Extended 3G you're showing is "same as native" with no restrictions for Verizon customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Nemont is a participant in Verizon's LTE in Rural America program too. That Extended 3G you're showing is "same as native" with no restrictions for Verizon customers.
    It's that way with all of Verizon's "Extended" coverage, whether they're part of the LTEiRA program or not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's that way with all of Verizon's "Extended" coverage, whether they're part of the LTEiRA program or not.
    Right, the color difference is only for informational purposes, the experience is same as native.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Right, the color difference is only for informational purposes, the experience is same as native.
    Yep. They even stopped showing Extended LTE coverage. It's all shown as "Verizon LTE" now. I believe they also changed the alpha tags on phones as well.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What frequency is Nemont using for this "special arrangement" LTE coverage?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    What frequency is Nemont using for this "special arrangement" LTE coverage?
    No idea, the UMTS is 850. It's the old Alltel licence (the Verizon shown that overlaps with their region is Verizon's old Alltel area they got to keep - and I will note that I was wrong when I said Verizon hasn't gave up their licences and screwed their customers - they did in this area, but only for LTE and, most importantly, they have no limits on roaming use so there's no real screwing - yet). This is the first I've heard of AT&T customers getting the ability to use LTE on Nemont. Not that it matters, 100MB limit can be reached in a few seconds now. Joy.

I'd imagine it's band 13, unless they have separate LTE for AT&T customers, LOL.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    No idea, the UMTS is 850. It's the old Alltel licence (the Verizon shown that overlaps with their region is Verizon's old Alltel area they got to keep - and I will note that I was wrong when I said Verizon hasn't gave up their licences and screwed their customers - they did in this area, but only for LTE and, most importantly, they have no limits on roaming use so there's no real screwing - yet). This is the first I've heard of AT&T customers getting the ability to use LTE on Nemont. Not that it matters, 100MB limit can be reached in a few seconds now. Joy.

I'd imagine it's band 13, unless they have separate LTE for AT&T customers, LOL.
    That's a good question. Nemont is using Verizon's 700 Mhz spectrum for LTEiRA service, but Nemont might have other spectrum they own themselves that they have put into operation and can allow AT&T to use. Google's Fi service uses Sprint and T-Mobile's LTE service plus it can evidently use some of Sprint's roaming partners' 3G service. Here in Pioneer Cellular's territory, Fi will use Pioneer's 3G but not their LTE, which is part of LTEiRA, it uses T-Mobile's LTE instead. Verizon may have restrictions on partners allowing other carriers to roam on this spectrum, I don't know.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Weird! Have you tried contacting Legere about it directly? He's been known to handle specific network questions like that himself, since I'm sure customer service would know nothing about that.
    I will try that, thanks! I can't believe they've sat on an approved site for close to 4 years now, but AT&T actually did something similar on a site just east of Fort Bragg, they even graded of, then let it sit! They finally got it built, but I never did find out what caused the massive delay.

Edit- with the USCC T-Mobile LTE roaming agreement coming up soon, it'll be that much more important, and T-Mobile will be the first GSM carrier to cover Leggett and that stretch of US 101, currently, only USCC has a site in Leggett. Hopefully, it will also give AT&T coverage there for the first time, currently it's a big dead spot for GSM from just a couple of miles north of Laytonville to just outside of Garberville.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Not that it matters, 100MB limit can be reached in a few seconds now. Joy.
    It was raised to 400MB last year, and doesn't apply to all carriers. I'd assume the cap wouldn't apply to Nemont if they're offering LTE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast