Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon now trying to price people out of unlimited?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    But what I don't get from a business standpoint is if they're going this far then why not just terminate all UDP's that aren't currently under contract?
    Because terminating the plans would cut revenue. Increasing the cost of the plans by $20 will increase revenue. That's why it is a good move from a business standpoint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    I KNOW it's a typo, but I can't stop laughing at "pooping a SIM into a hotspot"!
    Oh yeah. That's going to need an edit. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxzon1138 View Post
    Oh yeah. That's going to need an edit. Lol
    P.S. There's another "p" in popping.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Wait, there's people who think Verizon has a legal obligation to provide unlimited data? As someone who has read the laws on open access in the 700 MHz band, I hate to break it to you, but sorry, that doesn't exist in the law. I am disappointed Verizon is raising prices, but like what was said earlier, people should vote with their feet. There's no law that says you have to continue to pay Big Red for service either. In very few parts of the country is Verizon the only choice. Most people who read my words have four choices.
    I think Verizon should leave the UDP people be and jacking up the price on a grandfathered plan is sort of jerk move. It is indeed disappointing to see.

Looking at how T-Mobile is adding customers, I'd say people from somewhere are voting with their feet. Can't say it's specifically related to this topic or if it's Verizon defectors but price of services seems to be a huge factor even if coverage is more spotty.

Feedback Score
    P.S. There's another "p" in popping.
    I give up. Lol.

Feedback Score
    Yes the iPhone 5 is an LTE device although one without VoLTE. The problem is if you want to use VoLTE on a phone you switch it two. It is not universal sims like on AT&T and T-Mobile. The sims are locked to a specific feature set. I spent several hours with support and they could not fix it without a new sim. I just got the new sim and have not switched it but MyVerizon still shows the iPhone 5 as the "active device". Since it does not have VoLTE, when I put my sim (which came with the Nexus 6 BTW) back into the Nexus 6, their system is unable to re-activate VoLTE on the sim.

To be fair, CDMA calling works just fine with swapping the sim on every LTE phone. However if you want VoLTE, you will not get that capability back once you go to a phone that does not have it. So it is an issue confirmed by Verizon tech support. Their system is just a little primitive. I guess they don't expect people to swap the sim amongst different phones. Sprint is probably similar in this regards.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneFW View Post
    I thought the iPhone 5 is an LTE phone. I have no problems switching SIMs between LTE devices, but the Nexus 6 is not one I've tried this with. They initially need an IMEI to activate a SIM, but then I can freely move it around devices and have no problem activating/deactivating features. That said, the only VoLTE devices I have are iPhones and they can activate on-device. I have an iPhone 5S that has VoLTE activate right now (but can't use since the phone doesn't support it) because that SIM was once in my 6. I think there may be more to your story that is causing you issues as, generally speaking, swapping SIMs on LTE devices on Verizon's network is a non-issue.

Feedback Score
    I KNOW it's a typo, but I can't stop laughing at "pooping a SIM into a hotspot"!

I wonder how much longer Verizon Wireless will allow Best Buy to keep putting people on new contracts? Since VZW has done away with contracts as of August, will you even have an option to do another 2-year upgrade contract when the new one ends?
    Although Verizon said contracts are done, I don't think they are really done. This was very confusing but I actually had the option of getting my 6s Plus on contract and elected for device payment. So contracts aren't really dead. This was offered at a Verizon cooperate store.

Feedback Score

I wonder how much longer Verizon Wireless will allow Best Buy to keep putting people on new contracts? Since VZW has done away with contracts as of August, will you even have an option to do another 2-year upgrade contract when the new one ends?
    Verizon has not done away with new contracts. Anyone on an America's Choice or Nationwide plan can still do a new 2 year contract and get a subsidized phone.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Everybody needs to Contact the FCC about this asap !

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdeadbeat View Post
    Yes the iPhone 5 is an LTE device although one without VoLTE. The problem is if you want to use VoLTE on a phone you switch it two. It is not universal sims like on AT&T and T-Mobile. The sims are locked to a specific feature set. I spent several hours with support and they could not fix it without a new sim. I just got the new sim and have not switched it but MyVerizon still shows the iPhone 5 as the "active device". Since it does not have VoLTE, when I put my sim (which came with the Nexus 6 BTW) back into the Nexus 6, their system is unable to re-activate VoLTE on the sim.

To be fair, CDMA calling works just fine with swapping the sim on every LTE phone. However if you want VoLTE, you will not get that capability back once you go to a phone that does not have it. So it is an issue confirmed by Verizon tech support. Their system is just a little primitive. I guess they don't expect people to swap the sim amongst different phones. Sprint is probably similar in this regards.
    Odd. I didn't have that problem last year between a Blackberry, iPhone 5S, and iPhone 6. But much can change in a year!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Everybody needs to Contact the FCC about this asap !
    I believe they can raise the price for those expired contracts. We may not like it, but Verizon decides their prices and not the FCC. I don't like it, but I do have the choice of not being a Verizon customer.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Verizon has not done away with new contracts. Anyone on an America's Choice or Nationwide plan can still do a new 2 year contract and get a subsidized phone.
    It does appear to be the case, from talking to people here, that you have to go through Best Buy to keep your Unlimited Data Plan, though. I'm giving it serious thought.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

With the new UDP price increase, I need to explore options...

I'm really, REALLY, not in touch with what's going on in the cell phone world anymore and I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for with searches.

So, I have 2 lines, one's the UDP from ~2010 or so (we've just bought used devices outright to keep that), the other is a $10/month basic phone add-on plan. We pay just at $100/month currently.

I'm the dumb-phone user with my wife using the smartphone (mostly for work). Looking at the 6 month history on VZW, she's averaging 400MB/month with a peak of 660 (we were on a 2-week vacation that month), so easily under 1GB in all situations. I don't text at all, not once, ever. Seems my wife is averaging 60 with a peak of 81 (same month we were on a longer trip).

Looking at VZW prepaid, it seems at though we'd need a basic smartphone plan for 45 + a basic phone for 35 to yield 80.

Where I'm unsure is with the current plans, a 1GB 'small' is $30 + $20 for smartphone access and then Another $20 for the basic phone? The only reference I see to basic phones is a $35/month thing.

Basically, I want to pay the least possible while covering our basic use. I'd entertain switching to another carrier but for one glaring issue, there's no service from another other carrier where we live or work (I'm not exaggerating, the closest tower is right about 35 miles away by roads, maybe 30 as the crow flies, and it's the only one within that range). So, VZW it is... still (I've been through this issue before).

Thanks for helping me figure this out...

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    How are they going to notify us of this increase?

I have been month-to-month on my 5 line unlimited family data plan for almost 4 years now.

Between the 5 lines we use about 20-30gb per month. One line barely uses any.

We never abuse the unlimited data and never tether.

I feel like the $100/mo + tax (~ $120) increase will not be worth it. If this shows up on my bill I am leaving Verizon.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    How are they going to notify us of this increase?

I have been month-to-month on my 5 line unlimited family data plan for almost 4 years now.

Between the 5 lines we use about 20-30gb per month. One line barely uses any.

We never abuse the unlimited data and never tether.

I feel like the $100/mo + tax (~ $120) increase will not be worth it. If this shows up on my bill I am leaving Verizon.
    Go to Best Buy, upgrade your phones, and sign a new 2-year contract. That way you have 2 years of the old rate. And 2 years from now, if Best Buy will still let you do a 2-year upgrade contract keeping your plan unchanged, do it again.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast