Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon now trying to price people out of unlimited?

Feedback Score

Is Verizon now trying to price people out of unlimited?

Well, I'm not on the unlimited plan but feel for the people that are. Verizon will be raising the price of unlimited by 20 bucks a month. Those of you on it, will you be keeping the plan with this price increase? Overall it matches the price of the current 6 gigabyte plan. So maybe it's still a great value to some, not so much for others.

Verizon to raise price of grandfathered unlimited data plans by $20 - The Verge
    https://apple.news/AGVacFGBvTEC3BwrF2wAzwg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Verizon increasing unlimited data plan by $20 monthly

I suppose this was bound to happen, as with us being out of contract, they could just nix the service altogether. But as a lawyer, I would argue that many have purchased phones at full retail cost in reliance on an ongoing course of conduct between the parties (Verizon and its customers). At best for Verizon, this will be bad PR. At worst, the FCC or the court system will sting them for it at some point.

Anyways, here's more info: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/94...ted-data-price

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ohio818 View Post
    I suppose this was bound to happen, as with us being out of contract, they could just nix the service altogether. But as a lawyer, I would argue that many have purchased phones at full retail cost in reliance on an ongoing course of conduct between the parties (Verizon and its customers). At best for Verizon, this will be bad PR. At worst, the FCC or the court system will sting them for it at some point.

Anyways, here's more info: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/94...ted-data-price
    Yeah, just saw this too. Sucks. I'm actually under contract with them though, with a UDP, due to the Apple website bug from last year. So, I guess my plan goes up by $20 in a year. I feel like streaming Netflix 24/7 until then.

Feedback Score
    just another attempt to get people to drop it. they're really doing everything they can to discourage people from hanging on to their unlimited plans

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.6.40234/37.6711; U; en) Presto/2.12.423 Version/12.16)

Sh*t just got real! They really aren't messing around anymore with these unlimited plans. I really thought they would just continue to let them die out through attrition but apparently they really want them gone. But what I don't get from a business standpoint is if they're going this far then why not just terminate all UDP's that aren't currently under contract? Since they obviously don't care about pissing of their customers why not just go the distance & just end them since their goal is clearly to get rid of any remaining UDP's.
    Last edited by Dust N Bones; 10-08-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Gallaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have 3 lines with UDP, one of them being without contract. Do you think if I try to upgrade via the Best Buy method, I will avoid paying the increase fee for the plan since I am technically extending my contract by 2 years? Any feedback are appreciated.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I really hope there is more to it than we are hearing. At least special plans for those impacted. I don't need unlimited data as my usage is usually anywhere from 2 and 5GB per month depending on my travel schedule but the precedent this sets rubs me the wrong way. With the exception of the old unlimited international plan can anyone think of any other time Verizon has changed or cancelled a grandfathered plan?

If this is all true than it is a good think I have a new unlocked multi-carrier Nexus on the way along with a Project Fi invite in my inbox.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    And that is exactly what they want you thinking. Us with unlimited data are almost entirely dispensable to Verizon. I use between 30 and 40 gigabytes per month so while the change isn't great, I'm not leaving. We will be able to use our 2 year upgrade again and we can also use the installment program if we want. So that's a small perk. Verizon got rid of most of the unlimited plan users when they took away upgrades and this is just their way of clearing a few more hours. But they're going to have to pry it from me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another reason for Verizon to nickel and dime us. They really want us off this plan and making it difficult to stay on it. I guess there is no profit with us who are on this plan. I do believe they would rather see us unlimited data users go than stay.
    Well, I can now say that it may be time to port. I have done the T-Mobile 7 day trial and no problems with coverage. In some cases the speeds was better with T-Mobile. Decision will be made to port, once I officially receive the notice of the increase.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I use around 10GB or so in a month and it still makes sense to absorb the $20 surcharge. I like my plan too much to let it go. I just hope my 20% off will continue to apply to the plan.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have two UPD plans with the $15/mo. 30 minute loyalty plan. My wife and I have the SIMs in our iPads and I move mine to a hotspot when I travel.

For me, the $20 extra each month isn't enough to get me to drop the plans. I'd just like to know if there's any way to trigger a contract extension.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    nooooooooooooooooooo
    Current carrier: Sprint (11/01/2017)
    Previous carriers: T-mobile & Verizon

Device(s)
    Apple iOS products
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't think they're trying to price people out. Rather they are letting you do edge on unlimited now. I think this more indicates that unlimited -- which everyone is saying is going away -- is here to stay and Verizon is making it easier for customers with it to get new phones.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    And that is exactly what they want you thinking. Us with unlimited data are almost entirely dispensable to Verizon. I use between 30 and 40 gigabytes per month so while the change isn't great, I'm not leaving. We will be able to use our 2 year upgrade again and we can also use the installment program if we want. So that's a small perk. Verizon got rid of most of the unlimited plan users when they took away upgrades and this is just their way of clearing a few more hours. But they're going to have to pry it from me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Are you sure about that? I heard we could use the installment plan, but first I heard about getting subsidized phones.

Device(s)
    Apple iOS products
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeen View Post
    just another attempt to get people to drop it. they're really doing everything they can to discourage people from hanging on to their unlimited plans
    Along with this they're letting people upgrade using edge on the unlimited lines. So it sounds less like a discouragement and more of an alignment of pricing with other unlimited and you can now instead of paying full price upfront you get the interest free pricing.

Did any of y'all complain when T-Mobile upped their unlimited plans a year ago or sprint upping their unlimited plan now?

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast