Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bellus expanding band 17

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Bellus expanding band 17

Noticed new antennas and radio units being installed on a lot of towers around here in the past few weeks. My iPhone 6 now seems to prefer band 17 in a lot of places around Vaughan, ONT, even where band 2 is really strong. Anyone else in the GTA or Southern ONT notice the same?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv VeniceNA
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile/Telus
    Feedback Score
    I just know my LTE reception around Markham just went down the drain lately. Keeps dropping to HSPA.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I just know my LTE reception around Markham just went down the drain lately. Keeps dropping to HSPA.
    Not in Markham, but I notice a lot of drops from LTE to HSPA as well when the signal on LTE is not bad - usually when data is used consistently for a while.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Bellus expanding band 17

Apart from Nobleton, King City (sites in those locations don't have LTE equipment yet), and a couple of indoor locations in Vaughan/Woodbridge, I'm usually always on LTE. My device no longer prefers band 17...not sure why it did for a period of time. It's now back to preferring band 2. I've still been noticing Bell installing more band 17 equipment on more existing sites around here. A couple of new towers also appear to have band 17 equipment.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    toolcube,

I think some of us are a little too obsessed with the 700MHz MBS spectrum (Band 12/13/17) LTE "expansion" as in current form, especially to those who live in the urban areas. True, I think it is still a significant roll-out for rural regions. Meanwhile, not many people realize the additional 5x5MHz added to the 1.9GHz PCS spectrum for 20x20MHz LTE in some places...

--

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yup. That's what I normally see on my Telus iPhone 6. Usually connected to band 2 at 20MHz. I'm also surprised by the reach and penetration of band 2 signal.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Just a quick note:
    Telus now has LTE all the way from Kamloops to the lower mainland on Hwy 5 in BC, as well as 97C. The new parts (97C and Merrit-Hope) seem to have be Band 5 on every tower, Band 17 on most, and Band 4 on one or two.
    they really need to update their coverage maps as it now looks like Rogers has vastly more LTE, which I'm pretty certain is not the case, especially if they are hitting the 98% POPs with LTE by EOY.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Oh nice!
    They definitely have more coverage...my corporate Rogers phone is always roaming on Telus along that stretch. Perhaps Rogers is advertising EXT coverage?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Oh nice!
    They definitely have more coverage...my corporate Rogers phone is always roaming on Telus along that stretch. Perhaps Rogers is advertising EXT coverage?
    It was formerly HSPA+, and that is probably all you will get with Rogers EXT. It has been lit up sometime within the last six weeks or so.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    There are unconfirmed reports that Rogers-EXT can now access Bellus' LTE network.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P (Running Chroma / Rooted), Note 3 (Running Stock / Rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Rogers-EXT folks can access LTE in select areas.

From Rogers site.

" Is LTE available in Extended Coverage areas? "
    " Yes, Extended Coverage provides LTE speeds in select area "

Feedback Score
    Do they have B17 on most B4 sites? At least in my area that's how AT&T does it, because B17 reaches farther and in buildings better and dropping down to HSPA+ almost never happens, which I can't say the same about Bellus in Brockville, Ontario. This is especially the case whenever I go in a building or on the way there most of the towers only have H+ and no LTE, with an exception of one with B17 just recently and no B4 between Prescott and Brockville. Same going from Prescott and Cornwall even though the coverage maps say full LTE the whole way.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    For the areas I'm talking about (literally just a highway and absolutely zero people that live in the tower area), there is only a single Band 4 site (I'm excluding Merrit as it has had LTE for some time) which is by the Coquihalla Recreation area.

Pretty much everything is Band 5 with most having Band 17 as well. These are all 850MHz only for HSPA.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P (Running Chroma / Rooted), Note 3 (Running Stock / Rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    @THoAddict01

Perhaps most of those towers have the equipment on them. Back in April I drove from Ottawa to Kingston and then into Toronto. I was disappointed in the intermittent B17 coverage. But perhaps they quickly put the equipment up, turned it on. All to claim the 98-99% population mark. Then optimize the network later over the next couple months / years.

Bellus seems to have switched their focus to expanding LTE-A. I guess we'll just have to wait.

I've even noticed improves along the GO Transit routes. There were areas where you'd drop LTE, not anymore. Must have put up a new tower, stayed on Band 4 / Band 2 most of the trip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robellustron View Post
    @THoAddict01

Perhaps most of those towers have the equipment on them. Back in April I drove from Ottawa to Kingston and then into Toronto. I was disappointed in the intermittent B17 coverage. But perhaps they quickly put the equipment up, turned it on. All to claim the 98-99% population mark. Then optimize the network later over the next couple months / years.

Bellus seems to have switched their focus to expanding LTE-A. I guess we'll just have to wait.

I've even noticed improves along the GO Transit routes. There were areas where you'd drop LTE, not anymore. Must have put up a new tower, stayed on Band 4 / Band 2 most of the trip.
    It seems like at least in my area they were focused just on speeds and not how far the signal will travel (especially in buildings) and that HSPA+ would take care of the rest. This is in contrast to AT&T, which built out B17 first and added B4 afterwards (in more densely populated areas for the most part), to solve capacity issues. Now they're aggregating these bands which makes for great speeds. It would be nice to see Bell/Telus do that, although B4 speeds are really great everywhere I've been anyways. For example, they have B4 in Prescott, ON which only has a population of around 4,000-5,000 so they have ZERO issues with the network ever being congested. Yet when I was in Morrisburg, ON they only had B17, which I stayed on much longer before dropping down to H+ and worked great in buildings, the speeds were only 5-25, being around 12 Mbps most frequently, which isn't that bad but compared to B4, where I often get 45 Mbps peaking around 60 Mbps. And when I turned off LTE I was getting better speeds, around 22 Mbps (this was at ONroute). Ironically, wherever I've seen B17 deployed, H+ has always been faster (download side only, upload was around 3 Mbps compared to around 7 Mbps on B17 LTE)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast