Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Constant dropped calls in home zone

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel1949 View Post
    We took a road trip up to Kamloops and the Cariboo and I was very pleased with Wind Away throughout the trip other than some spots on the Coquihalla Hwy.
    OMG! That is either Rogers or Telus networks! You had issues, so their networks MUST be garbage!
    OMG! Tear them down!

You know, this is fun.
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Feedback Score
    I was even more pleased with my Blackberry Classic (which my husband says is like an Edsel as he has an iphone) LOL. Love my Classic and physical keyboard and Blackberry Maps and GPS. It is wonderful! I could enter the most obscure country inn by name and my Blackberry Map would find it and give me voice directions there.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel1949 View Post
    I can't pick up Wind at our house by the US border in South Surrey, but do receive it a couple of kilometers north of here. I will get dropped calls if someone calls me while I am nearing my home and my phone goes onto Wind Away (which isn't usable due to me being in Wind territory in theory). Things are fine again when I get home and manually switch to AT &T. I keep hoping for improvement of reception down by the border. We took a road trip up to Kamloops and the Cariboo and I was very pleased with Wind Away throughout the trip other than some spots on the Coquihalla Hwy.
    Parts of the coquihalla highway has no coverage on Rogers. Make sure you log into Telus manually to get good coverage all the way.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip on slimsabre, I'll look into that. I was mostly wondering if using nightlies might be the source of the problem. And to hear back from other oneplus users on Wind.

Feedback Score
    xtachx thanks for the tip about manually hooking onto to Telus. I will do that on the next road trip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    Your statement above to someone who appears to be changing his phone ROMs on possibly a daily basis, that the problem is his network and not his modified phone is asinine. Perhaps you are so tied to Telus and the big 3 that you can't see anything beyond your own pocketbook.

I've been with Wind since March 2010 and I've had ZERO problems with voice quality, first on a Nokia phone and for almost two years on an iPhone. I support the competition that Wind brings to the market against the oligopoly of the big 3.
    @underrated, @abwagner, I have multiple lines with every Provider except with Rogers & one with Fido. I have 3 lines on Wind with i35, wish 40 & Mobi 6 month Free Promo. I didn't just make up the Fact that Winds Voice Call Quality is Garbage. All you have to do is do a quick Google search to see that I didn't make this up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerSlacker View Post
    Wind's voice network is garbage in a lot of parts, congestion is a real problem. I don't know why you guys are ragging on him.

At my workplace during peak hours the call quality is terrible, I'm constantly repeating myself and I miss a ton of calls. When I work weekends or nights zero problems.

This is with three different phones over the course of three years so don't tell me it's a problem with my phone or just a one off occurrence.

To be fair, it's MOSTLY okay everywhere else I go, but some spots are really congested at certain times.

Because they are a Fan boy of one network & the are telling this to someone who has multiple lines with every Provider.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5110, Samsung SGH-P207, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Every network can have problems for various reasons. A growing network like Winds, with limited bandwidth, obviously has problems at different places and at different times. To claim the whole network is crap as was claimed above is a claim that is just BS.

Wind has had under 6 years to build its network, compared to 30 years for the big 3. Yes Captain Obvious, Winds network isn't as big and robust, but it's not garbage.

I'm sorry, but if I have issues taking or making calls because of congestion issues during peak times, then yes the network is garbage in certain areas. Make whatever excuses you want to make, but it is what it is.

I support Wind but I'm not blind to their issues.

Feedback Score
    Winds network is large, spanning 3 provinces, with a large chunk of southern Ontario being in there. It has grown in 6 years from zero infrastructure to almost 1500 towers.

Those of us who like, and yes, defend, Winds network use it everyday. It is not a useless network as the naysayers say.

You and others seem to take it as a personal affront that there are people who can use it with few or even any problems. It's not big enough, not fast enough, not whatever enough in the 14 year old penis envy mindset of the critic who can only see black and white and can only think "WINNING!"

All I can hear is "WHINING!"

YMMV.
    This is a discussion forum, expect differing opinions. If you call that whining, so be it. Sadly, you got it all wrong. I have tried my level best to make Wind work for me. I tried, left and came back again. As a growing company, I expect things to get better and better even if slowly, not this one step forward, two steps back stuff that I have been experiencing for most of this year. What niceties should I use to describe data performance where much of the time, attempts to load web pages results in time outs? This is when there is full signal strength, so I am not trying to be critical of the size of the network. You won't see me crying about poor voice quality because it doesn't affect me. Don't get too emotional when people tell it like it is about Wind.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    I have had few issues with Wind since getting a Nokia in March 2010, and an iPhone 5S in November 2013. Talking, texting and data over that time have been good for me with a few times where I couldn't get data. I'm mostly in Edmonton, so I have no idea how good, bad or indifferent Winds network is in BC, Calgary or Ontario on a daily basis.

For those bashing the ENTIRE company and ENTIRE network when there are places where it works fine, why are YOU getting so emotional about your local area? I'd be PO'd about it, but identify your area as having an issue, not the entire network. Telling Wind their network sucks will get you a shrug. Telling Wind their tower(s) in your city/area of your city can't get much data, and here are the tests to prove it, or your voice quality sounded garbled during this time frame gives them something to work from.

Same for comments asking for advice or suggestions. How can anyone give anything helpful when the only comment is "this network is ****"?

Is Wind perfect? Hell no! Can it be better? Of course! How long will it take? Forever, as it never stops, unless the business stops. Technology changes, improves, grows. Smaller and younger companies take longer to get there. You don't have to give them a free pass, but at least be honest about the problem(s) rather than a blanket statement that puts it down.

In the MTS forum, jcalder said he had a problem with a particular tower. Did that make the entire network crap? No, it was an issue that should have gotten a better response, but perhaps the carrier was just delaying a response until it could get LTE installed. Dunno, but to me, a better way to do things than just bash everything.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerSlacker View Post
    I'm sorry, but if I have issues taking or making calls because of congestion issues during peak times, then yes the network is garbage in certain areas. Make whatever excuses you want to make, but it is what it is.

I support Wind but I'm not blind to their issues.
    Agree 100%.

Feedback Score
    I have had few issues with Wind since getting a Nokia in March 2010, and an iPhone 5S in November 2013. Talking, texting and data over that time have been good for me with a few times where I couldn't get data. I'm mostly in Edmonton, so I have no idea how good, bad or indifferent Winds network is in BC, Calgary or Ontario on a daily basis.

For those bashing the ENTIRE company and ENTIRE network when there are places where it works fine, why are YOU getting so emotional about your local area? I'd be PO'd about it, but identify your area as having an issue, not the entire network. Telling Wind their network sucks will get you a shrug. Telling Wind their tower(s) in your city/area of your city can't get much data, and here are the tests to prove it, or your voice quality sounded garbled during this time frame gives them something to work from.

Same for comments asking for advice or suggestions. How can anyone give anything helpful when the only comment is "this network is ****"?

Is Wind perfect? Hell no! Can it be better? Of course! How long will it take? Forever, as it never stops, unless the business stops. Technology changes, improves, grows. Smaller and younger companies take longer to get there. You don't have to give them a free pass, but at least be honest about the problem(s) rather than a blanket statement that puts it down.

In the MTS forum, jcalder said he had a problem with a particular tower. Did that make the entire network crap? No, it was an issue that should have gotten a better response, but perhaps the carrier was just delaying a response until it could get LTE installed. Dunno, but to me, a better way to do things than just bash everything.

YMMV.
    Remember the network builder link that Wind used to have on their site? On a weekly basis, I used to post network holes and sometimes with multiple reports for the same area. I truly believe that my efforts made ZERO difference. It is likely Wind dropped network builder because they too thought it was useless.

As for equating my issues with Wind to the entire network being bad, that's your emotions getting in the way of logical thinking. A conclusion that the entire network is garbage does not come from the views of any one subscriber. However, if many, many subscribers have the similar views and they don't live in the same locale, you can connect the dots...

Let me be clear, my experiences that I report are factual, I have no axe to grind with Wind. Take a look over my older posts and you will see I provided positive reviews when their data was working well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    As for equating my issues with Wind to the entire network being bad, that's your emotions getting in the way of logical thinking. A conclusion that the entire network is garbage does not come from the views of any one subscriber. However, if many, many subscribers have the similar views and they don't live in the same locale, you can connect the dots...

Let me be clear, my experiences that I report are factual, I have no axe to grind with Wind. Take a look over my older posts and you will see I provided positive reviews when their data was working well.
    And yet I, and others get called fanboys when we report minimal or no issues on our end where we are? My reports are factual too, based on my experience. I don't think I've called anyone a liar falsely reporting, just that it does not affect everyone the same, everywhere. Report it as your issue in your reported areas and I and others will take that as information rather than an attack on the network as a whole.

I have no idea if Wind personnel are in these forums listening to us nerds talk about them. It's possible but who really cares, other than us nerds who want to be listened to when we complain we don't have the latest shiny shiny precious toy. It's also likely they are aware of their own coverage holes based on their own data, including when we switch to roaming or come back from roaming, network usage/congestion, dropped calls and the reason, and other data gleaned from ALL their subscribers.

It does take time, and money, to create a business such as a national wireless network that requires towers and connecting infrastructure all over the place. Wind hasn't stopped growing, unlike Mobilicity which did, at 449 towers while Wind had at least twice that when Mobi went for court protection and now has over three times the number of towers.

Anyone involved in the creation and running of a business knows that bad publicity can kill a business. Look at Volkswagen right now with their software that falsified emissions reporting. Their stock has dropped by over 20 percent, their dealers are reporting a huge drop in customers coming into VW showrooms. You can go through history and see how public opinion can shape and even kill a business. I have no financial interest in Wind other than wanting it to continue as a business that I subscribe to. Overhyped reports that Wind is nothing but garbage, which are not universally true, affect that business and Winds survivability.

We are all well aware of how much pressure the big 3 put on Ottawa about the possibility of a US or other country carrier coming in to scoop up Wind and Mobilicity to give these networks a lot more capital and to inject some real competition into the Canadian marketplace. Samsung has plied the various forums online with people hyping Samsung products and been shown that they have denigrated competing Android brands. Who is to say that some of the various people who are just saying that "Wind is garbage" are not being paid by the big 3 to denigrate Wind? The big 3 oligopoly are scared of actually having to compete, instead of just imitating each other as they tweek their offerings to appear to be competing. T-Mobile in the US is shaking things up, has gone from perpetual also-ran 4th place to 3rd by shaking things up, much to the consternation of Verizon and AT&T, as well as Sprint. I'd like to see Wind do the same in Canada, over time.

Feedback Score
    It does take time, and money, to create a business such as a national wireless network that requires towers and connecting infrastructure all over the place. Wind hasn't stopped growing, unlike Mobilicity which did, at 449 towers while Wind had at least twice that when Mobi went for court protection and now has over three times the number of towers.
    Agreed 100%.

FWIW to other ladies / gents complaining about drop calls, bad voice quality, I can assure you I had same problems with Fido which I was with them for over 7 years.

I switched to Wind but I knew there would be same problems but I pay much less!

That said, I love the quality of sound on Wind network. When it works, it rocks.

When it doesn't, I always remember there Fido with similar issues which used to cost more a lot more!

Device(s)
    Samsung S8, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I live in the GTA and its constant voice issues. One way audio, garbling, digital artifacts, missed calls, and calls not connecting. It's congestion for sure, very early mornings and weekends are better than weekdays. It's also quite widespread (I drove from 403/Hurontario and couldn't get a call out until nearly the DVP yesterday (Fri afternoon). Of course Wind tried to blame my sim card (again, and I have been through 3 sims and 2 devices in the last 2 months entertainingntheir stupid troubleshooting) when I contacted them. Then again last time I called about home coverage and they opened a ticket, they told me "your area won't be fixed for a few years" (M3C). I want to support the company as they are the only one with reasonable pricing especially with data but I'm still carrying a Rogers phone for voice. It's just not good enough although will still put up with it for data. When it works. The day a big 3 or sub brands offers a decent plan with data I'm gone (no I don't want to lie my way into a MB plan either).

In any case, I doubt its the phone or radio, the network leaves a lot to be desired.
    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast